Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wrinkles- what has happened?

(96 Posts)
MawB Sun 03-Nov-19 21:10:35

Two years ago I was under enormous stress, Paw had been seriously ill for months and who knew what the future held.
He died that November so I was not at all surprised that it showed in my face.
Two years on I seem to have aged a whole lot more and hardly dare look in the mirror, without recoiling at the wrinkles.
When did my age (71) catch up with me?

Daisymae Mon 04-Nov-19 10:59:33

Funnily enough I found an answer to the selfie problem. What's app has a sort of magic thing that gets rid of all the wrinkles. It makes me look how I think I do! My mum was very active and never looked her age until early 70s. Suddenly she was a little old lady. Not that she ever thought so.

SueDonim Mon 04-Nov-19 12:10:55

I'm mid-60's so a bit younger than some. I don't have too many wrinkles or grey hair but suddenly everything is sagging. My face is on my chest, my chest is round my nether regions and I'm not saying where my nether regions are! grin

Ah well, while we're still living and breathing, let's enjoy it - the alternative doesn't much appeal.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:18:29

I look in the mirror and see Paddy Ashdown's twin sister staring back at me.
Now, that rather craggy, crinkly eyed look may have looked great on Paddy (I think it did, anyway) but it doesn't translate at all well on a female face.

sad

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 12:54:47

Callistemon ? that gave me a laugh!

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 13:00:03

I'm glad it made someone happy !!
(But not me, I need Croydon eye job)

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:01:37

I think that’s a black eye!

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 13:03:03

Oh!
Perhaps not.

I meant a tight pony tail
Or is that an Essex facelift?

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:04:17

A Croyden face lift.....tight ponytail.?

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:05:00

You could have both!

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 13:07:00

Not enough hair, but I am growing it!

thuberon Mon 04-Nov-19 15:27:13

My granddaughter did this drawing of me. I heard myself asking her "what are all those lines on my face?". There was no need for an answer.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 15:39:26

I'm a bit concerned about your nose thuberon!!

grin

Oopsminty Mon 04-Nov-19 15:48:04

I'm just surprised the grandchildren don't cry when they see me

pen50 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:06:55

Don't mind the wrinkles so much but dark circles and "resting b***h face" are my horror stories. Good concealers and correctors deal with the former, and a permanent grin with the latter. Luckily I'm a fairly cheerful person so it's not so difficult - or maybe the treatment has side effects?

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:12:21

My mother would have simply said. "Better than the alternative!" The older she became the more she used that phrase smile

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 16:19:02

I need to ask what a Resting Bitch Face is, please?
The trouble is, I'm sure I have one.

I just look so tired and angry and careworn.

hapgran Mon 04-Nov-19 16:19:12

I just buy into the dream and believe the blurb on all those face creams. Sadly the mirror tells me otherwise. ?

hapgran Mon 04-Nov-19 16:23:02

Not sure why that expression has become so popular, MissAdventure, or exactly what it means but I think it's horrible and a bit sexist.

4allweknow Mon 04-Nov-19 16:26:06

I feel I reached a stage when not only the lines started to appear but the power of gravity also took over my face. Nothing, just nothing stops it or camouflages it. My DH too has had health issues for past 20 years last 13 really almost palliative.

Jackyf Mon 04-Nov-19 16:28:04

I’m not sure who Paw is to you but obviously someone very close. I nursed my partner and after he passed I noticed a total change in my face , it’s grief and it marks us physically as well as psychologically. I think all the crying leaves it’s mark .You loved whoever this person was , there is future and you are more than the evidence life leaves on your face as we all are xx

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 16:28:28

It's not a very nice expression.
I'm going to Google it, but my guess is it means looking miserable when you're not.

Jaxie Mon 04-Nov-19 16:28:49

Have you noticed how FaceTime exaggerates all one's facial defects? But we are still here, and if you have kind friends and family who cares about looking like your granny.

GrAnne2 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:30:08

Sounds like we all feel the same - once you’re through the menopause and not producing collagen I think the sagging and lines are inevitable. Looking after our twin granddaughters (living with us for 4 days a week) from 9 months- 5 years, definitely aged my husband and me. I try to keep fit and look after my skin but the most depressing aspect is that the person in the mirror looks sadder and older than I feel inside ... However, I console myself that however old we feel we look these days, our mothers looked like this when they were only 50! Our expectations are maybe too high? Remember, your grandchildren don’t expect you to look young - they love you for being their granny!

Madmaggie Mon 04-Nov-19 16:33:49

Thanks ladies - it's not just me then thanks

Marmight Mon 04-Nov-19 16:38:11

Tempus fugit and sadly crinkles are inevitable. It’s the saggy jowls which upset me. My chin seems to have sunk into my neck. Hate it ?. So much so that I have just invested in a little hand held instrument which promises to ‘rejuvenate & lift’ if used for 5 minutes a day. I’m a sucker I know but I’ll try anything. It hasn't arrived yet and I am filled with anticipation ?