Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tip the hairdresser? Should I?

(46 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 15-Jan-20 10:30:25

I expect this has been asked before but I have an appointment with a new hairdresser soon and I'm wondering if I should tip? I usually go to the salon in our village and leave a tip of about 10% but I have been dissatisfied with their haircuts recently so have booked myself into a rather more upmarket (and expensive) salon in town. Friends tell me they don't ever tip their hairdresser so rather than get off on the wrong foot at the new salon I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance.

Grannybags Wed 15-Jan-20 13:57:00

I used to tip my hairdresser when she was employed by the salon but the one I have now is self employed so I don't tip.

nightswimmer Wed 15-Jan-20 14:03:14

I always give them 10%.

J52 Wed 15-Jan-20 14:27:14

I don’t tip, my hairdresser is the salon owner so he prices accordingly. At Christmas I give the salon a large tin of M&S biscuits.

FearlessSwiftie Wed 15-Jan-20 14:36:49

Nope, no tips from me

wildswan16 Wed 15-Jan-20 14:40:08

No, I don't tip. I just give her an extra £5 before Christmas which I know goes into their "Christmas party pot".

suziewoozie Wed 15-Jan-20 15:46:07

Always tip 10% ( rounded up) and £1 in the pot for the young woman who does the shampoo

NotTooOld Thu 16-Jan-20 15:14:13

Oh dear. Mixed opinions! I'll ask my daughter but I think she'll say no.

Daisymae Thu 16-Jan-20 16:58:17

Usually just £10 at Christmas. But she does own the Salon.

MamaCaz Fri 17-Jan-20 14:41:52

Oopsminty

MamaCaz, many of the hairdressers are just paid employees. And often not particularly well paid either

They have no input as to how much is charged

That might well be the case for many, Oopsminty, but even so, I wouldn't tip unless the person have gone over and above what was expected of them. They will be on at least the minimum wage, and generally-speaking, I don't see any more reason to tip them than I would, for instance, a checkout operator in the supermarket.

My hairdresser used to work in someone else's salon, where I presume she rented a chair, but her prices were higher than those of the salon owner, so I think it's reasonable to assume that she added on the cost of the chair etc.
These days, she works alone, renting a room that she uses twice a week and doing some home visits. There is still a tips box on the counter, and while I don't feel guilty about not tipping her, I do feel a bit awkward. It feels like many customers are guilt-tripped into putting something in it.

sodapop Fri 17-Jan-20 14:48:56

Totally agree MamaCaz why do people continue this out dated tradition, scared of getting a bad hair cut maybe ?

Esspee Fri 17-Jan-20 14:54:03

10% is pretty standard with a bit extra at Christmas.........unless you are in the USA?

MiniMoon Fri 17-Jan-20 15:06:25

I don't tip my hairdresser, but I do give her the extra change to put in their charity box. They accept tips, but tell customers that they all go into the charity tin. At Christmas they give what they have raised to their chosen charity.

Grannytomany Fri 17-Jan-20 18:06:06

I’ve gone to same hairdresser for years and I’ve never tipped other than at Xmas when I’ll put a couple of pounds in the box that appears on the counter at that time of year. I think my haircut is expensive enough at £38.

Cabbie21 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:13:09

When I moved house and started at a new hairdressers I decided not to tip. I agree, we don’t tip the supermarket checkout person or the bus driver.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:24:36

I will only tip for very good service. It's not compulsory. For hairdressers, waiters, etc. about 10% but not if they own the business!

SANDY2020 Fri 17-Jan-20 22:29:15

That's what minimum wage us fir noone tips me in care work lol!!!

Fennel Sat 18-Jan-20 19:11:23

I went to my regular hairdresser for a wet cut yesterday and gave her the usual 10% extra.
She's a one -woman business, quite mature, with a small family. We have interesting chats.
I told her about this discussion (can't keep my big gob shut!) and after thinking she replied "It's nice to know you're appreciated."

sodapop Sat 18-Jan-20 20:05:30

I'm sure other workers would like to be 'appreciated' as well Fennel

Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 20:36:40

My hairdresser is also the owner of the salon, with two more stylists working for her, so it wouldn't feel right to tip her.
I always tip the trainees who wash my hair, as I understand that they are on very low wages.

Harris27 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:44:40

My hairdresser comes to my home uses my electric and have my hair washed ready for her and I still tip her only £2 as she’s not really expensive! She’s lovely but only here for half an hr and I only earn just above the minimum wage!