Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Colouring my own hair . Help!

(72 Posts)
Abuelamia Wed 15-Jan-20 18:46:29

I have always had my hair highlighted at the hairdressers, but the cost is now £150 and I really feel that I need to rethink. I am darkish blonde naturally and just want a couple of shades lighter a summer blonde look . Thinking, shall I give it a try and do it at home. Anybody have any recommendations re product, dos and don’t and good/bad experiences. Thank you.

Madgran77 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:40:25

There is a natural henna crème product for blondes. Maker is "Henne Colour". ..you can get it in health shops including Holland and Barett. . Do a strand test with that as if it works for you, you can just comb it through for a few minutes whilst in the shower and then rinse it off. Very quick and easy! I use the Cuivre {copper} one every couple of weeks. . There is also a dark brown and a black. Conditions hair at the same time, great shine.

littleowl Thu 16-Jan-20 10:47:35

I used to dye my hair regularly for years and years. It was a horrible mess every time and a chore.
Eventually I decided to go from dark brown to ash blondish colour as my hair is white anyway. I had the change done at the hairdressers over several visits.
Now I only have it done at the hairdressers for 6 weekly touch up and cut. It costs me £60 and that is at a decent place with excellent stylists.
You are paying too much. Shop around and find somewhere else. If you start the at home way, you may find it disappointing and a massive chore.

Paba24 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:51:47

I too have always coloured my own hair and my hairdresser always comments how nice it is. I also have, over the years, tried all the different ones and now stick to Superdrugs own make, its really is the best.

Sandwichnan Thu 16-Jan-20 11:10:59

I colour my hair at home now as I was spending between £70-100 every couple of months and I can’t afford it. I now use an online hair colour company called eSalon. You fill in an initial questionnaire to arrive at a recommended colour specific to you. This costs about £18 time and your colour is reordered and despatched automatically at a time given by you, ie every six weeks, or eight weeks etc. You can defer or cancel your order if you wish. I’m very pleased with the result and have had some compliments!

sweetcakes Thu 16-Jan-20 11:12:29

My husband use to do mine and a good job he use to do as well. Now I've gone to my natural colour (grey)
now and I don't regret it one bit

rowanflower0 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:21:48

I pay £47 for a full head of two-colour highlights, I would definitely shop around!

Juicylucy Thu 16-Jan-20 11:23:06

I have dark brown hair and for years did my own roots but as I’m not a hairdresser I got a build up of colour where I wasn’t spreading it equally. Ended up paying £120 to get colour stripped and done properly and even tho i now pay £30 just to get my roots done professionally it’s definitely worth. Maybe get someone to help you for first time so you can experiment without messing it up.

Lookout01 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:30:04

I use L'Oréal Highlight Kit in light blonde (I am mousy brown naturally). Old fashioned plastic cap to apply but worth the trouble as long as you don't leave it on longer than the advised time

ananimous Thu 16-Jan-20 11:33:38

@Grandma2213 Use a darker eyebrow pencil.

Purplepoppies Thu 16-Jan-20 11:41:17

If you have any red in your hair definitely use something with ash in! Otherwise you may end up red or ginger. Happened to a friend of mine....

Theoddbird Thu 16-Jan-20 11:44:44

I have always coloured my own hair. Products have changed over the years. So much better than tgey were. I finally let my hair go grey...it is very light grey.. near white. I put a metallic silver on it.

3nanny6 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:46:40

To Ananimous. I think you told @Grandma2213 use a darker eyebrow pencil! You are right in what you say because if we do not have any eyebrows or we have very thin eyebrows then we do need to use an eyebrow pencil

My eyebrows have gone so thin and do not grow since several years ago when a woman in the hairdressers told me she would thread my eyebrows to give a good shape to them. I had it done and it hurt but they looked okay. The thing is they were too thin but the hair has never grown back. I am probably an exception to the rule as I still see people getting it done. I have my hair a nice blonde colour and use a light brown eyebrow pencil for my eyebrows it works well.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Jan-20 11:56:09

If you inadvertently end up a red head comb some ketchup through to reduce the redness. Worked for me once despite my reservations.

I can’t remember which one (will try and check in Boots later) but I used one for years that didn’t end up as a solid block.

I am really lucky now as a guy who was very senior with L’oreal works from a home salon. He cuts really well and his expertise was colouring.

Summerstorm Thu 16-Jan-20 12:01:57

Why not try some of the colleges that do hairdressing they are always looking for models and are very well supervised and only charge a nominal amount

Madmaggie Thu 16-Jan-20 12:29:44

Colleges that do hair and beauty courses are often on the lookoutfor models. Or offer cheap cuts and colours by supervised students on specific days. But you need to contact them. Give it a go, ask husband or friend to help but try semi permanent first until you get confident. What you're paying is crippling.

LuckyFour Thu 16-Jan-20 12:34:41

I.ve been colouring my own hair for years. It costs 6.99 for a pack and takes less than an hour to do. Once done all over you only need to do the roots. I use medium blonde, a variety of different makes whichever is on special offer. They are all ok. When you do the roots leave on for twenty minutes (roots only) then run the rest through your hair for less than five minute. Rinse off. It's very easy and always looks nice (I think).

Chestnut Thu 16-Jan-20 12:40:47

If you're wondering what the colour code numbers mean here are some details from L'Oreal. My code is 9.1 which is 9 for Light Blonde and 1 for Ash.
www.lorealprofessionnel.co.uk/hair-advice/hair-colour-advice/what-do-the-numbers-in-hair-colour-mean

Rebecca5 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:05:50

I wonder if looking for a mobile hairdresser might be a good idea? I've had the same one for over 10 years and have the roots retouched and highlights put in but even with a cut as well it never costs me more than £60. Also my hairdresser used to work in a salon that I went to and where I paid a lot more.

Annie26 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:11:19

I used the same Nice n Easy for years but think they must have changed the formula and it was too dark. I now use Superdrug's own which is brilliant and is very reasonably priced last time it was 2 boxes for £7 if I remember rightly.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:22:39

Wouldn’t pay the salon prices, been doing my own hair for over 40 odd years, you can get some really good colourants mousse ones are quite popular and non drip not as messy, I put mine on and then while on top of head I put hairdryer on warm to set the colour, then leave it to take after hairdryer on for several mins, wash off and voila done

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:26:12

I’m not suggesting you do this, but I’ve done it like this for years, I also wash my hair in reverse between colourings, wet hair condition it leave on for 3 mins, wash off then shampoo wash off done, always found my hair looks nicer,

Willow3 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:31:01

Another vote for Belle colour by Garnier. I use Light honey blonde and have used for the last 15 years and always get compliments. I use it once a month and try to keep to the roots but a bit haphazard! Very easy and clear instructions. costs about £4 to 5.

ananimous Thu 16-Jan-20 13:32:18

@3nanny6

I'm the same - I use Primark eyebrow stencils and matt brown eyeshadow, with foundation underneath to help fix it for longer.

Kartush Thu 16-Jan-20 13:58:02

My husband always did mine and I used no particular brand, usually whatever was on special. But I got sick of it and embraced the silver

okimherenow Thu 16-Jan-20 14:11:13

Just done mine this morning.. Covered those grey(actually white) roots.. Takes about 3/4 hour all told. Been dying mine for years .. Since I was a mousy 16yr old.. Had a few disasters but got past that and just re-dyed it!!
Don't hesitate.

Try esalon.co.uk first. £15. They email a questionnaire then suggest a colour.. You take a chance and if needs be they then adjust your formula. You can buy online as a one off or as a regular posting.. I'd suggest one off to start..

Or go into Boots and ask an assistant to help you with the colours..I always use L'Oréal excellence 7.3 natural dark golden blonde... 2 for £12..
You might want something lighter.

Buy some shower caps to cover it whilst it works.. Stops it dripping all over..
DO NOT leave it on longer than the prescribed half hour..
Good luck and get a savings account ready for all your spare cash..