Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Colouring my own hair . Help!

(72 Posts)
Abuelamia Wed 15-Jan-20 18:46:29

I have always had my hair highlighted at the hairdressers, but the cost is now £150 and I really feel that I need to rethink. I am darkish blonde naturally and just want a couple of shades lighter a summer blonde look . Thinking, shall I give it a try and do it at home. Anybody have any recommendations re product, dos and don’t and good/bad experiences. Thank you.

Leavesden Thu 16-Jan-20 14:16:08

I use Naturtint as have sensitive skin and found it very good, always use a lighter shade than you want because they always turn out darker than the colour on the box.

Nancat Thu 16-Jan-20 14:27:00

When I do my own I use John Frieda Precision Foam Colour, which is so easy to do, and gives a lovely natural looking colour. If possible though, I book in at the local college and have my hair done by trainees, under strict supervision. I get a professional cut and colour at a fraction of the cost, but with all the advice I would get from the salon (and coffee and mags) It keeps my costs down and also helps the trainees who have real heads to work on.

f77ms Thu 16-Jan-20 14:57:35

I go to a chain hairdresser called Newbold. It is a set price of £11 for each service ie cut colour blow is £33 plus a tip if you usually leave one. I've been very happy with my hair since I started going a couple of years ago. Have a look to see if they have one in your area.

Daisymae Thu 16-Jan-20 15:41:50

£90 is the going rate here, and not in the cheapest area. One local salon gives 20 percent off for the over 60s. I would go to a cheaper salon and give them a whirl.

Chestnut Thu 16-Jan-20 15:57:23

Leavesden I use Naturtint as have sensitive skin and found it very good
As I said earlier, I had an awful allergic reaction to that. Thank goodness I did a patch test. It went in the bin.

Tapdance6 Thu 16-Jan-20 16:16:21

My hair is a mousey brown with hints of grey. I use Nutrisse hair colour Ash blond. It doesn't go blond but makes my hair a lighter shade.

pamdixon Thu 16-Jan-20 16:37:18

I would endorse doing a patch test (several times in my case!) before you colour your hair yourself, or have it done in a salon now I come to think of it. I'm allergic to most products on the market except for Wella Colour Fresh, which is v. easy to put on yourself. Just follow the directions basically. But I always do a patch test if I am trying out a new colour. They have a good range of colours. I have to re-do it every 3 - 4 weeks, but its no big deal. And its cheap - I use about half a bottle each time.

grannie7 Thu 16-Jan-20 17:10:20

I agree with SirChenjin. It costs me £65.00 for my colour three different colours mixed to get the colour I am happy with, excellent very experienced hairdresser, and that price included a cut and blow
I wonder if you live in the South of our country seems to me that business owners in the South of England think they are justified in charging a lot more for the same services and goods that you can get North of Watford much cheaper.
If you live in an area where prices are high,either try and find another hairdresser and/or ask your hairdresser what she is using on your hair name of products and the numbers.
I am not sure whether or not you know wella and the other products have numbers not just names for example no 10 would have another number as well ie 10/0,10/1,10/2 and so on.the smaller numbers are important as they can change the colour.I would ask before you tell her your not coming any more.You can get the exact products on the internet.I have dealt with a company who sells on the net.I am lucky I am able to go to the shop.Also have you thought about asking daughter/friend to do it for you it’s not hard just need to go by the instructions.I do my daughter’s hair and I had no experience at all her hairdresser told it looked professional and all I did was follow the instructions my hairdresser gave me,and using the right products and numbers etc. Good luck with it.

helenrowena Thu 16-Jan-20 17:16:16

Couple of shades lighter than your own

Mix in a bowl , and if looking for a natural look dont apply all over head

Dip fingers in and stroke in the dye to give a natural look as if the sun had caught your hair,

love0c Thu 16-Jan-20 17:20:39

I am with Seacliffe. I have brown hair and use the medium brown Nice & Easy. After a couple of washes it looks completely natural. When any roots start to show I mix a capfull of each bottle and just touch my roots up using an earbud. Works so well. This semi dye is safe to use too. So important I think.

granbabies123 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:18:11

I found that my head started stinging regardless of which hair dye was used so I decided to go natural. I am a lovely shade of grey . I had a super short pixie cut and more people comment on my hair than they ever dis.

Grandma2213 Fri 17-Jan-20 01:06:01

* ananimous* and 3nanny6 I can't draw, paint or tattoo eyebrows because the lines on my forehead criss cross all over the place. Years spent working outdoors and squinting into the sun I suppose! It's a bit like trying to paint lines on a road full of potholes!!

For years I cut my own hair when it was short and then partner of son who was a hairdresser. After they split up I am begrudging the £28 I am now paying every 3 months or so, for a cut and blow to keep the baldness from showing! I am shocked by the prices being quoted on here. I'll stick with the home colourants while I can especially when you get special offers on two together!!

Good luck Abuelamia whatever you decide.

TwinLolly Fri 17-Jan-20 03:50:19

Hubby and I decided to go from darkish brown to a nice grey steel colour, for kicks, as our own hair has gone salt and pepper.

So hairdresser or DIY. DIY - cheaper!

Needless to say... we had a few laughs.

We used hair bleach and then put the grey steel colour in but it didn't take terribly well. A day later we went swimming in a chlorinated pool (big mistakeconfused) so that made the colour worse so we got another box of hair bleach and re-bleached it and left it at that, letting it grow out.

As our hair grew, it started to look as if it was highlighted by the sun and looked quite nice.

The next time we tried, a year later, we already had some red dye in our hair after having dyed it a reddish colour sometime earlier. The first round of bleach left our hair orange! We were in fits of laughter. A few days later we did another round of hair bleach and it took out most of the colour to leave our hair almost white/yellow blush. So we bought some blue hair shampoo and conditioner. We didn't re-dye it because we didn't want to ruin our hair completely.

Fortunately we have short hair so it's ok, and it's fine that hubby is 'game' to help me if I dye my hair, or experiment a bit by getting me to dye his hair grin.

My DIY hair pics are my hard drive at home and I'm at sea! So I can't share them... Roll on end of February ... maybe later on I'll put a thread on for DIY hair dressing disasters...

davidrozmanhairsystems Fri 17-Jan-20 03:55:41

Hello Dear,

I would suggest you visit the nearest Hairdresser to know about hair type. He will guide a suitable color for your hair. I recommend you to go to David Rozman Hair Systems. Take your appointment. www.davidrozmanhairsystems.com/

PetitFromage Fri 17-Jan-20 04:16:05

Why don't you try looking for a mobile hairdresser as they are often much cheaper (no overheads) and just as good - often better, as they need to be to make a living.

Gran16 Fri 17-Jan-20 07:53:11

I've coloured my own hair for years and experimented with different colours too. Always use nice & easy and follow the instructions. Keep a tshirt and towel for colouring only. Dont be afraid go for it. The colours dont last forever and more frequent washing fades them quicker. Good luck

Mercedes55 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:56:04

I use the same hair colourant that my hairdresser had been using on me. I just either buy it online or get it from a store in town that sells professional hair colour. My natural colour is a dark brown but I have a lot of grey now so over the years I've gone lighter. I now use Wella Koleston in a light blonde with 6% volume peroxide and it makes my hair a kind of dark blonde. Have become quite good over the years at sitting on the bathroom floor with a mirror in front and one behind and using the brush to just put on the roots smile

annep1 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:56:47

Like Hetty i suggest startjng with a semi permanent one. You'll be fine. I've always done mine, not because it's cheaper, I just prefer to.

annep1 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:58:09

Excuse errors. I was rushing as dinner is ready!

Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 17:52:38

Abualamia, £150? Where are you going? Videl Sassoon's? Look in your local paper or newsagents for local hairdressers that come to your house. I buy the dye from Boots and a local hairdresser who now has a young child so finds it hard to work daytime comes round and does it for me at a fraction of that cost. I'm saving money and she's making some. Win win

Sparkling Tue 28-Jan-20 21:50:06

My hair is predominately grey, with white streaks and some mid brown ones, all in all i like it. However sometimes I get the urge to try another colour on it, but concerned in case the grey and white goes an strange shade and won't wash out. Does semi permanent colour alter grey and white permanently.