Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ideas to add body to fine limp

(66 Posts)
Jane43 Thu 30-Jan-20 19:33:57

I have always had fine hair which lacks body. It is worse now since going onto Anastrazole after a lumpectomy for breast cancer and it also seems to have less body since we had a water softener installed a couple of years ago.

I have tried two brands of shampoo and conditioner which claim to add body and volume to hair but they have made no noticeable difference. I am also trying different styling products, the spray on ones seem to make my hair very stiff and dry and the mousses haven’t helped so far. I have tried Percy and Reed styling mousse which is supposed to add volume but, although expensive, it had no effect. I have also tried Tigi Small Talk which was a little better. Last Saturday I watched QVC and ordered a product which seemed to work wonders on the models but has had absolutely no effect on my hair, thankfully I can send it back for a refund as it was expensive.

So I am wondering if anybody has any recommendations I can try.

Elegran Thu 30-Jan-20 19:45:53

A good cut can shape your hair into looking thicker than it is. It probably looks its best when it is newly washed and rough dried, pushed into shape without combing or brushing it much, so wash it frequently and don't put a lot of product on it - the weight of it on fine hair (like mine) flattens it to your head. Have you asked your haitrdresser for advice?

SirChenjin Thu 30-Jan-20 20:09:56

I second a good haircut and the Babyliss Big Hair rotating brush is an absolute godsend -it smooths and puts bounce in your hair.

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 30-Jan-20 20:39:30

I’d recommend a product build up removing shampoo every so often to remove the resulting ‘weight’. The premium ranges do them, not cheap, but you only use it now and again.

Jane43 Thu 30-Jan-20 21:21:56

Elegran, I think I will follow your advice. I have been going to a local hairdresser for about three years because it is convenient. Each time I go I ask her to cut more layers in and to thin out the fringe which kinks if it gets too long but I’m not really satisfied with the results. I will look at reviews of salons in town and give one of them a try. SirChenjin I will look at the Babyliss brush on line.

FlexibleFriend Thu 30-Jan-20 21:27:51

Find a hairdresser you like and talk to them about the issue, you might want to leave the conditioner as it weighs your hair down. They should give you advice about drying your hair and getting lift at the roots etc.

Dollymac Thu 30-Jan-20 22:16:12

Jane43, I use Bodyshop hair scrub, as a shampoo once a week. It contains salt and you can feel it working to eliminate products ie mousse, hairspray etc left on your scalp and really seems to 'lift' my hair
I would also agree with previous advice regarding a good cut

MiniMoon Thu 30-Jan-20 22:40:58

I've just started using a shampoo bar. It's done wonders for my hair. I have a cropped pixie cut, very short on the sides and back with a bit more length on top.
It took a few washes for my hair to adjust to the shampoo bar, but I'm glad I persevered.
I bought it from the funky soap co., handmade in London.

Graso Thu 30-Jan-20 23:11:17

Redken 06 thickening lotion is the only thing that gives body to my baby fine hair, and believe me I’ve tried them all. I use it on the length rather than the roots, not cheap but a must have for me.

Layers are good but not too many, just enough to give some lift.

Agree that clearing build up of lotions etc is good. Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo (green label) is very effective and reasonably priced.

hollysteers Fri 31-Jan-20 01:16:28

Here’s my dramatic answer! I’ve had cancer twice, same medication you mention and always had thick, long, and later shoulder length hair. I’ve had sewn in extensions to match my own hair colour, but am having a rest from those now and have a selection of clip in extensions (I use hair grips as well to make it really secure) I do like the halo extensions available online as it’s just on a nylon wire, again I use extra clips. My daughter was a hairdresser and she trims them for me as I don’t want hair down to my waist. John Lewis have a good selection. I also use half wigs. I truly feel glamorous and more like myself wearing them. Yesterday for the first time, I wore a baseball cap which comes with hair attached! Sounds bonkers, but the hair is cut in a neat bob style and looked great. I have just ordered a different colour cap. Online and not expensive.
Kerastase is the best shampoo and conditioner, not cheap but good.

Jane43 Fri 31-Jan-20 13:05:53

Thank you for your ideas all of you. Hollysteers I admire your adventurous spirit. My hair is quite short so I don’t think extensions would suit me, I’m not very good at styling my hair and have no hairdressers in the family, or even a daughter, to help me. I have considered a wig for special occasions however. We have a family wedding in August which is going to be a very glitzy occasion and although I have a nice outfit to wear I feel my hair will let me down. I will keep on trying to make it look better using the suggestions on this thread.

travelsafar Fri 31-Jan-20 13:35:44

try using Elvive shampoo and conditioner for fine hair. I find not washing my hair more than once aor twice a week helps as natural body seems to appear. I have fine hair but lots of it according to the hairdresser. Wearing it shoulder length has also helped as i just twist it up in an and updo and then have a fringe which i sometimes pop a roller in whilst getting ready to go out, it just gives it a quick lift. I also use hairspray and find that helps to keep it looking ok.

Blondie49 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:23:35

I got that qvc product as well as very fine hair, it was a nightmare, so like you sent it back. My newest find that really helps is washing hair at night , then in morning using dry shampoo and large Velcro rollers .

Disgruntled Sat 01-Feb-20 09:24:32

Aloe Vera is supposed to thicken hair. (That's the liquid, to drink, though I think you can also massage the oil into the scalp.)
Two people I've treated recently with Reiki have reported hair returning (after alopecia).

inishowen Sat 01-Feb-20 09:33:48

I have thin hair with a lot of scalp showing. Absolutely nothing helps.

Topcat7 Sat 01-Feb-20 09:54:06

Jane43 I am in the same boat as you and have found the best thing is to keep my hair very short pixie style and have it cut every 4 weeks.

hulahoop Sat 01-Feb-20 10:00:03

I too have fine hair worse since having chemo its short I don't suit long hair ?I have tried different shampoos to no avail , I usually have it spiky but that soon drops ?So I am considering another style but don't know what yet there are some good suggestions on here I will give some of them a go as well.

Summerstorm Sat 01-Feb-20 10:02:06

After 6 months of pretty intensive chemo I didn’t loose my hair but it was a lot thinner and felt like cotton wool. A friend bought me Viviscal shampoo and conditioner i felt it did help a lot. But another friend I bought it for after her treatment didn’t think it made any difference. Might be worth a try though

dragonfly46 Sat 01-Feb-20 10:06:07

Now my hair is growing back I am using Watermans Grow More shampoo, conditioner and elixir. I am told it is very good.

Rosina Sat 01-Feb-20 10:06:20

Some excellent advice here to keep you amused for many a hair washing session! My hair drives me crazy - I have a fair amount of it but it is baby fine and getting worse as time goes on it seems.
I now use a bar shampoo, which seems to keep it calmer, and when I have dried it a liberal dosing of dry shampoo at the roots seems to give it some body. I also keep any products to a minmum if I use a styling gel or similar - they do seem to weigh down fine hair and can make it feel sticky.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 01-Feb-20 10:11:22

I have short fine, and now thinning hair. I dont use conditioner because it makes my fine hair heavy, and thickening shampoos tend to make hair difficult to handle without additional conditioner. I've tried loads.
I make sure my hair is cut well, shiny, not coloured, so it's thin but healthy.
Hair type is often hormonal and genetic so wonder treatments will make no difference. I wouldn't be averse to trying a hairpiece for special occasions.

mernice Sat 01-Feb-20 10:17:38

Jane43 my hair sounds just like yours. After washing it I brush it through then tip my head upside down and dry hair, roots first, scrunching with my hands as I go. I use a brush to sort my bit of fringe first. When it’s dry I brush it into style, layered bob, and put in Velcro rollers with a quick spray of hairspray all over and leave to cook for as long as needed or what time you’ve got. 20/30 mins does it for me and there’s always something you can do in that time......I often do lick of make up then if I’m going out.

Greciangirl Sat 01-Feb-20 10:22:11

I also have fine hair which tends to shed whenever I wash it.
So I try not to wash it more than once a week.

I find that if I use conditioner after shampooing, it comes out even more, so I don’t use conditioner any more.
Instead, I am using a leave in conditioner which seems a little better. A blow dry spray for hair drier. It always looks ok for a couple of days, and then it’s back to a lank look.

I have tried, and wasted loads of money on different products.
These so called celebrity hairdressers always seem to invent another must have product. Trying now to use up must have products.

Thisisme Sat 01-Feb-20 10:28:36

My doctor told me that although I am far from anaemic, my iron levels are nowhere near the optimum level for hair growth, so now I take a supplement for hair, nails and skin which includes iron, and have noticed an improvement.

beautybiz55 Sat 01-Feb-20 10:29:41

Try & take a supplement containing Biotin & B vitamins skin , hair & nails . Great improvement in my hair . Also grew out all my layers with a blunt cut , loads better .