Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Very dry (red) skin on face. Any tips?

(31 Posts)
Marelli Thu 06-Feb-20 08:17:32

I do have psoriasis here and there on my body, though not the type that peels or 'crusts'. Every couple of weeks or so, though, I get red, dry blotches, to which I apply a prescribed steroid cream for a couple of days and it fades away, but always coming back again. I can live with this. However, the skin in my cheeks is now very dry and quite inflamed. I've tried mixing a little of the steroid cream with the all-over moisturiser prescribed by GP, but am wary of doing this regularly. Can anyone give any tips on how to manage this, please?

Marelli Fri 07-Feb-20 06:41:14

Lyndiloo, you have me laughing just now! ? I remember my mum taking castor oil for constipation but she never did say whether she applied it to her piles!
Seriously, though, it does sound like an option for very dry skin, and worth trying.

Marelli Fri 07-Feb-20 07:03:42

annep1, the bath oil that has been prescribed is 'QV'. I can be used on the shower as well.

annep1 Fri 07-Feb-20 10:03:30

Thanks Marelli

Lyndiloo Tue 11-Feb-20 01:38:09

Marelli My mum swore by camphorated oil. (You can't buy it now.) We had it rubbed on our jaws for toothache, on our ears for earache, on our chests and under our noses for colds ... it was the mainstay of our medicine cabinet! There was also a cream that she used to rub on our feet, and I can't remember what it was - but I loved the smell of it!

But do try castor oil. (That's my mainstay!)

Marelli Tue 11-Feb-20 05:37:52

Lyndiloo, the ointment that I ordered arrived very quickly and I've been slapping it on whenever I go into the bathroom! There's a very definite improvement on my arms and also on one side of my face. The other cheek seems to be taking a bit longer, probably because the redness/dryness has been there longer, and having previously put steroid cream on it won't have helped, either. The ointment has really good reviews and the company is UK based. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way and I'm willing to try anything! If anyone would like to know about it, please PM me.