Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What makeup do you prefer (if any)?

(62 Posts)
Nata Fri 14-Feb-20 07:32:35

I like trying new things, it is just fun. I have like 10 eyeliners and see no reason to stop at this point grin
What are your favorite makeup tips?

Catlover123 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:32:18

Cambia, can I ask which one you buy? I've had a look but there are auite a few

pen50 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:36:15

I find the best anti-ageing effect comes from a big smile! Lifts the jowls nicely.

LuckyFour Fri 14-Feb-20 11:40:26

If you want your lipstick to last use Max Factor Lipfinity. I put it on in the morning and it lasts all day. I've been using it for years and it really does last. The colours are great too.

pce612 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:45:16

After applying moisturiser and primer etc, brush over the eye area with matte powder especially the lashes.
Sops up any greasiness on the eyelashes, mascara won't slide off.
My favourite mascara at the moment is Maybelline - The Falsies waterproof.
Stays put even in a swimming pool but comes off completely with Nivea Micellair Professional (in black bottle or wipes).

BlueSapphire Fri 14-Feb-20 12:28:30

I use lipstick as a blusher, does the job, so my lipstick always matches my blusher. Just dab a bit on each cheek and blend it in.

Dec46 Fri 14-Feb-20 12:37:41

I love Nars Orgasm Blusher. Friends comment on how well i look when I use it and then blush when I tell them what it is !

Craftycat Fri 14-Feb-20 13:01:45

I use bare minerals powder foundation, blusher & eyeshadows.
However local shop is not stocking them when the ones they have in stock have gone so either I buy online or try a new brand.
Might be good to have a change.

amazonia Fri 14-Feb-20 13:44:11

A really good cleanse and moisturise routine to start. Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser is brilliant, gets rid of dry patches and provides a smooth base.
I was given a highlighter/primer to go on under foundation and was very sceptical. I tried it out and everyone admired my makeup. I’ve also discovered one of those bronzer - highlighter palettes. Just a brush over lifts your face, even my husband couldn’t work out why I looked good.
Head to a Bare Minerals counter for a makeover!

skate Fri 14-Feb-20 13:44:42

That Charlotte Tilbury tutorial is just amazing. Makes me want to rush out immediately and get all the stuff she used. Thanks for posting. I wouldn't dream of going out without make up and have drawers full of products but comments about being germ harbourers have made me think I should have a bit of a clear out.

Sandybeth Fri 14-Feb-20 13:54:09

My best tips are an illuminated mirror and a good makeup sponge, one of those egg ones. Maybelline Superstay lipstick is fab and my tip is to always suck your finger after you have put your lipstick on to prevent getting it on your teeth. I love Boots no7 Youthful cc cream or the Aldi cc creme when they have it in.

pinkpeony Fri 14-Feb-20 14:19:11

Cambia. which eyelash serum do you recommend? My eyelashes used to be long and luscious but are so thin now I can't really wear mascara.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 14-Feb-20 14:22:50

I too love NYX lipsticks. Great colours and creamy texture.
After trying many very expensive foundations over the years I've found the best one for me is L'Oreal True Match in Rose Beige. It has the merest hint if pink instead of the flat beige tones that seem to be the norm. It's also thinner and gives a light but good coverage of my uneven skin tone.
I use my lipstick as a blusher, just a little dab blended in, then a dusting of Avon MagiX loose powder, colourless to get rid of any shine. I don't often wear mascara as I too find it can be irritating but do use a dark taupe powder eyeshadow so my eyes don't disappear. My eyebrows are hidden under my fringe so I just tidy them up with a wand epilator and that's about it.
Skincare. Favourite brand is Ren but a bit expensive for me so mostly use The Ordinary, but do splash out on Prai neck cream.

Madwoman11 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:33:46

Rimmel London scandal eyes waterproof kajal kohl eye liner is the best find yet. Stays in place all day £3.99 on Ebay

Caramac Fri 14-Feb-20 15:49:27

My eyelashes are not as long and full as they used to be. I’ve found using a lash serum has really improved them. I use Barry M brand which cost me £5. It’s also a primer but beware using it on its own as I did. My eagle eyed daughter noticed the tips of my eyelashes had turned really white blush!
If I’m not going out though, I do wear it without mascara.

chrissyh Fri 14-Feb-20 17:39:41

Cambia which one did you buy from Amazon.

polnan Fri 14-Feb-20 18:16:07

www.amazon.co.uk/Eclat-Eyelash-Growth-Serum-Peptides/dp/B07P436QMG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=9G9W6EXLTMV1&keywords=eyelash%2Bserum%2Bfor%2Bgrowth%2Bbest%2Bseller&sprefix=eyelash%2Bserum%2Caps%2C358&th=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1581703705&sr=8-7

I am going to order this one, thank you Cambia

Buffybee Fri 14-Feb-20 18:38:15

If I'm staying in, I use Clarins Bronzer, and a lip gloss.
When I'm going out I use Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Foundation, applied with a make up sponge, Nars Blush, any eyeshadow, Rimmel London Scandal eyes eye liner, Bobby Brown Smokey Eyes mascara and MAC lipstick.
All very lightly applied as when you are not so young 'less is more '.

SunnySusie Fri 14-Feb-20 19:12:14

Bit odd that I am in my sixties and asking this question, but I have never worn lipstick. Now I feel as if I need some, but I dont understand how to buy it. Do you have to buy the lip liner and lipstick as a set to get the same colour? I looked in Boots but they dont seem to have the two together and I dare not buy on line because I think I might get a colour that doesnt look right. I would like to start with something subdued at first. Can anyone help?

Missfoodlove Fri 14-Feb-20 21:10:04

A liner isn’t really necessary, find a MAC counter and ask their advice. It’s not the cheapest but it’s up there with the best and staff are well trained.

Mamma66 Sat 15-Feb-20 05:08:42

Best foundation without a doubt = Estée Lauder Double Wear.

Annali Sat 15-Feb-20 06:15:30

I use Estée Lauder double wear smudge proof mascara - it doesn’t budge
I have yet to find an eyeliner that doesn’t smudge - I have tried so many. Any recommendations?
Mac lipsticks good
I never use Revlon - I think the lip colours are dull

Yogagirl Sat 15-Feb-20 08:52:17

Thanks for that Missfoodlove great tutorial.
My eyebrows are my stumbling block, just can't get them right, any tips? Yes must chuck out all my old make up & get some new.

Rosiebee Sat 15-Feb-20 09:10:26

Maybelline 24 hours lipstick has colour at one end and lip balm at the other. Excellent if you need a lipstick that doesn't bleed. Colour stays well if you apply the balm every now and then.
I can't use mascara but always use a dark grey eye liner which I apply and then soften with a fine brush, then a light brush of grey shadow close to lashes. Helps to define eyes that would otherwise disappear. Always go with "less is more" mantra.

Magrithea Sat 15-Feb-20 09:56:10

@JackyB if you have lots of old stuff to use up, check the longevity of the stuff that you might have opened, especially eye make up/mascara - there should be a little icon that looks like a jar with the lid off/open with a number in it. The number indicates the number of months the product is good for

Cambia Sat 15-Feb-20 14:19:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.