Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Delightful Dungaree rediscovery

(44 Posts)
Northerngirl28 Mon 24-Feb-20 18:03:12

This has probably already been discussed but I have to say it. We have lots of chats here about comfortable clothing. I know lots of people are leggings lovers but I have just bought a pair of wide leg dungarees and they are joyful! My sister started it, my daughter followed and my dear 84 year old Mum topped the trend. I took the plunge, I LOVE them, soft, no tight bits, no bulges, covers everything,even going to the loo is easier then I thought. I don’t even look ridiculous! So if like me you’re not that keen on leggings, you never know, dungas might be just the ticket.

Missfoodlove Mon 24-Feb-20 19:17:16

My daughter ( pregnant???) wears dungarees from Lucy and Yak, they look great!
May have to consider, thought I was too old. ?

MiniMoon Mon 24-Feb-20 19:31:20

I've never wor them. I always thought I was too short. They look good on tall people though. My sister wore them in the 70's, she is 5' 7" tall.

DoraMarr Mon 24-Feb-20 19:58:59

I wore dungarees through the 70s with Clark’s desert boots, through four pregnancies in the eighties with ankle boots and trainers, and I would love to wear them now, but I just don’t have the right shape any more! I bought some from Toast, but the top bit was too big, and I couldn’t go any smaller because my bottom is the size of Wales. Have fun in your dungas!

MissAdventure Mon 24-Feb-20 20:01:56

Somebody here bought a pair and posted a pic, and she looked really, really good in them. smile

Northerngirl28 Mon 24-Feb-20 20:28:53

These are from Gap. I thought I was too old as well, it seems I’m not, yay

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 20:31:37

Oh dear Dora, only the size of Wales? Mine must be at least the wholemof the UK.

Nortsat46 Tue 25-Feb-20 08:11:08

Dora and Grey ... I think I’m European sized ...

DoraMarr Wed 04-Mar-20 22:56:24

Well, I’ve bought a pair, from Toast. Dark denim, quite a loose fit, and I love them! They must be a different fit from the ones I tried on the summer, because the top is fine. Wearing them with Blundstone boots now ( só comfortable, like wearing slippers) and high-tops later.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Mar-20 23:09:06

Are these back! I have fond memories of my lovely brown cotton dungarees, with rolled up hems, worn with big baggy t shirts and boots! grin Anyone got a link to some good ones that they'd recommend?

CanadianGran Wed 04-Mar-20 23:10:54

Love the look! Good for you. You should take a photo of all of you together in your overalls.

Marmight Thu 05-Mar-20 00:24:59

I wore them a lot when I was younger. Now I am a different shape I think it’s a no-no for me. Also what a faff when going to the loo with straps dangling all over the place and dungaree legs falling to the floor while clinging onto afore mentioned straps before they sink into the loo ?

DoraMarr Thu 05-Mar-20 00:35:53

Chewbaccamine are from Toast. Gap does them, and Whistles have some black corduroy ones currently at 20o/o off.

polyester57 Thu 05-Mar-20 09:33:15

I also wore them in the 70s, but the business of going to the loo is putting me off wearing them now. Also, they are very sexless, not that I want to look sexy at my age. Dungarees always make me think of Kiki Dee in the Don´t go Breaking my Heart video, obviously, she had no attraction to Elton John or he to her.

lemongrove Thu 05-Mar-20 09:43:26

I think they look awful on anyone over 10 years old.Sorry!
It’s the unappealing look of a Quick Fit Fitter.grin

Chewbacca Thu 05-Mar-20 10:07:05

Those are boiler suits lemon, not dungarees! grin but now I'm not so sure hmm

May7 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:20:55

I wore them all the time I was pregnant in the 80s. Really comfortable and I thought I looked fantastic. My older family were quite shocked though because you could see my bumpsmile
How things have changed (for the better) I might add. I love to see pregnancy bumps

krazykat Thu 05-Mar-20 10:30:59

Might have to look into them.
I have a recent colostomy and have yet to find anything other than trackie bortoms (not a good look), that is comfy over it.

Theoddbird Thu 05-Mar-20 10:47:51

I live on a narrow boat and my baggy heavy cotton dungarees are perfect for my life. They are so comfortable. I wore them to my youngest daughter's and she said they are really fashionable. I have some summer weight ones for when the weather warms up. I can sing their praises all day grin

Tillybelle Thu 05-Mar-20 10:48:49

Just going to look online for a pair.....

jaylucy Thu 05-Mar-20 10:50:59

I had a lovely lemon pair in the 70's and beginning of the 80's that I loved and even wore them when pregnant but being somewhat larger I wouldn't wear them now.
I am trying to get up the courage, as a plus sized woman, to buy a jumpsuit from Kim &Co that I have seen on a certain shopping channel that one of my friends (also plus sized) swears by - she has quite a collection now!

JuliaM Thu 05-Mar-20 10:52:42

I loved them in the 70s, and had several pairs, including some Levi branded ones. When l was expecting my Daughter in 1988, Mothercare Maternity clothing range included both Dungaree trousers and the same type.of style as a maternity pinafore dress, which made a nice cle er way to mix and mat h with my existing t-shirts and tops to make a varied and practical wardrobe for all.occasions. The dress type were in the practical colours of Navy and Grey, and they lasted me through two pregnancies before l handed them over to my eldest daughter in 1994 when she was expecing her first son.
Im a plus size large lady now, and l doubt that l would find a pair of dungarees to fit me, most of the fashion shop sizes stop at a size 16/18.

Poppyred Thu 05-Mar-20 11:08:21

I agree with Lemongrove although I would add a few years...25. Post a picture and prove us wrong! ?

Poppyred Thu 05-Mar-20 11:09:30

Beverley Hillbillies comes to mind..... ??

Fernbergien Thu 05-Mar-20 11:31:05

I’m not about to talk about dungarees but jackets.I took a chance on a “young” jacket. Biker. It is great. It was cheap but good. It came from BM. Look for discount vouchers too. Bestbuy in last year or so.