Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Lurkers’ week: What’s your favourite piece of clothing?

(67 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-20 09:10:26

It might be something new and stylish. Something you’ve bought to wear for a special occasion. Something that you save for ‘best’, or that simply makes you feel great every time you put it on.

It might be something old and worn. Something you wouldn’t even wear out of the house, but that’s so comfy you just can’t bear to part with it.

In the spirit of sharing, these are ours (below). Now tell us yours!

Cari - pyjama bottoms. First thing I put on when I get home. Hideous but sooooo comfortable.
Lara - black leather boots. “Smart with a tiny heel that makes them look smart but still comfortable.”
Tasha - torn between two midi dresses and still deciding which!
Sarah - stripy top
Sadaf - long grey jumper. “It has holes in from wearing it so much. Just ignore my attempts at stitching it up if you see me in it”

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 09:41:50

A very old and baggy and bobbled purple cardi, warm and comforting it goes on when in need of a little tlc at the end of the day ( with a v neck tee and pj bottoms)smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:46:46

My two coats, one grey, the other beige, (longish - duster coats?) which I got from the supermarket. They're lovely and soft, made from a suede-like fabric. As they're not lined they're not warm enough to wear just yet but I like them very much.

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 09:56:47

My dressing gown!!

Annapops Mon 09-Mar-20 10:01:51

My Joe Brown's black, winter, velvet coat. It's the kind of coat I've always imagined having and couldn't believe I'd actually found it in last winter's collection. It has the most wonderfully cosy velvet fur trimmed hood attached with trimming around the cuffs and hem too. I feel like a character from DR Zhivago whenever I wear it.

shysal Mon 09-Mar-20 10:04:47

An old fleece gilet. It used to be black but has faded to an odd sort of browny grey colour. It is useful for walking or gardening on a day like today or indoors for an extra layer.

Pittcity Mon 09-Mar-20 10:05:51

My denim jacket bought second hand in the last century. Goes with anything and looks better with wear.

JessK Mon 09-Mar-20 10:10:20

A smart pair of black trousers that can be casual look with a jumper or smart for going out for an evening.

merlotgran Mon 09-Mar-20 10:14:25

An old navy fleecy jumper. It's two sizes too big so I prefer it to a dressing gown as I don't like things flapping round my legs.

Looks good with jeans, lightweight but very warm and comes out of the washing machine almost dry.

Good for gardening in as well.

midgey Mon 09-Mar-20 10:17:44

The green cashmere cardigan that my sister passed on to me, it must have belonged to her husband’s aunt who died probably thirty years ago!

glammanana Mon 09-Mar-20 10:40:45

My zippy up dressing gown which I bought from M&S years ago it always washes well and its my favourite go to item.

tanith Mon 09-Mar-20 10:42:24

I have a light grey soft tunic sweater that’s yonks old has bobbles all over and paint from the garden shed down one arm but I wash and wear it when I’m home alone and going nowhere. It’s warm and comfy and embroidered on the front with ‘Let it Snow’ ? coincidentally my daughter bought the same one and still has hers they must be 10+ yrs old.

Alexa Mon 09-Mar-20 11:19:24

A top from Tu at Sainsbury's . Years after purchase it survives every clean out of my wardrobe and never fails to cover my lumps and bumps , needs no ironing and after I slit the wrists is completely comfortable for sleeping in.

Strawberry Mon 09-Mar-20 11:50:35

I have a purple fleece that is now getting quite worn but is soft and warm and cuddly.

Morgie52 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:53:08

A line black skirt, flattering and goes with any top.

Dee1012 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:55:53

I have a very old flannel shirt that I 'appropriated' from my Dad when I was pregnant....to wear over trousers!
I still have it and even though it's falling to bits, I wear it at home to potter.

Leah50 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:56:18

My several pairs of £5 Asda black leggings with Viscose. they keep their shape, don't fade in the wash & are long enough for my 5'8" height.

joannapiano Mon 09-Mar-20 11:58:07

My short fake fur coat I bought in a charity shop for £5. Really warm and light, and goes with everything.

margobo16 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:59:48

My favorite is my Squall coat from Lands'End. So much so that I cant wait for bad weather so I can snuggle into it. Almost sad when the warmer weather starts and I put it away until it gets cold again.

GNan Mon 09-Mar-20 12:00:50

I have a brown tweed zip up cardigan with hood that my Mum knitted for me over 40 years ago, it is still going strong although I now only use it in the garden and on the allotment everytime I wear it I think of Mum

redsue Mon 09-Mar-20 12:12:39

My very old long black cardigan which can cover a multitude of wobbly bits.

Samegrandma Mon 09-Mar-20 12:20:41

My lovely thick herringbone tweed classic winter coat - it's a wrap front (so always fits!) deep pockets, warm & cosy, never dated - bought in the Debenhams sale in 1984 for £35 and it's annual dry clean brings it up like new - I think it will outlive me!

jacalpad Mon 09-Mar-20 12:22:19

A turquoise and white fine-striped linen tunic from Seasalt. I bought it in a sale and have had so many compliments about it.

Bubblyone Mon 09-Mar-20 12:31:11

I LOVE this very expensive Moloh jacket that I got from eBay for a bargain price

Mtc59 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:36:07

Love, love love a cozy cardigan. I have a navy cashmere one from eBay, bought deliberately too big so I could cuddle myself with softness!