Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone still going to hairdresser?

(143 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 21-Mar-20 14:03:09

I cancelled my appointment because I'm afraid of putting my head back to be washed giving the opportunity for germs to go onto my face from hairdresser above me. My area of the UK has a low incidence of C19 and I am fit and well albeit self distancing and staying at home unless absolutely necessary to venture out. Have other Grans been keeping hair appts? My hair is driving me mad and long overdue for a cut and blow so I would welcome yr kind thoughts or experiences?

tanith Sat 21-Mar-20 14:04:25

No I’ll have a ponytail before long ?

Helenlouise3 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:04:53

I've been thinking the same thing to be honest. I have an appointment on the 3rd April and I desperately need a colour.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:06:39

I think that is plain common sense.

If you feel you really must go, make sure you cover your face with something disposable when lying back and keep your distance as much as possible.

We are all going to need tips on how to trim our hair without looking like a half shorn sheep.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:06:56

My appointment is next week, but I have a DH who is at very high risk. How can I potentially expose him to the virus?

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 14:10:42

Just don’t go . It’s that simple.

craftyone Sat 21-Mar-20 14:11:57

my appointment is next week and I am in a real dither, what you said nonogran, about the head back and being in the line of fire. That has made my mind up for me. I will cancel, in fact I am getting ready for no hair cuts for a long time ahead, I will be making some boho colourful headbands for myself

Hir cuts are so important to me, my short hair getting finer as I age but my health comes first. I heard that italy were not so bad one day then it took just 12 days for such a massive ramping up. I really don`t want to be a statistic so I will be getting my fine dressmaking scissors out in a couple of weeks, to trim my fringe and side bits.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:12:25

Whitewave I hate to say it but you really should stay indoors if your husband is high risk. You have to physically get to the hairdresser, you will have no idea who is in the shop and you do not know where the hairdressers have been etc.

Atqui Sat 21-Mar-20 14:12:31

I’ve cancelled and I’m gonna cut husbands ( what’s left of it);with trimmer

Sussexborn Sat 21-Mar-20 14:14:17

I’ve just bought a root touch up kit to be on the safe side. I have an excellent hairdresser but he has had heart problems so he will be self isolating I guess. He and his partner have just bought a country property so hopefully he’ll hunker down and stay safe. His partner owns a building company and the house needs a lot of work so not sure how comfortable it will be.

Hopefully I‘ll just look a bit straggly but so will most others unless there is a YouTube video by Teasy Weasy showing how easy it is to cut hair!

merlotgran Sat 21-Mar-20 14:14:28

I'm another one going down the ponytail route. I can trim my own fringe and dangly bits at the side. Dry shampoo helps to bulk it out a bit.

I've had to get into the habit of making it look half decent every morning and putting on some make-up now that facetiming now seems to be the 'in' method of communicating.

Anything to improve the looks of the 'wrinkled old crone' in the top corner of the screen.

craftyone Sat 21-Mar-20 14:16:51

I have just ordered some hair ties, I am sure I will look cute with bunches

Bubbe Sat 21-Mar-20 14:17:44

I do agree with Suzie. Don't go.

My hair is also well overdue for a cut and colour. I've decided I shall embrace the grey and snip my own fringe.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:20:27

I am beyond caring what I look like in 4 months time- I am concentrating staying on this planet by using simple guidelines and not going OTT.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:22:54

My neighbour and her husband are isolating. On the phone, she mentioned how upset she was about not having her hair done. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. We have a catastrophic killer virus crisis - some just don't really get it!

TerriBull Sat 21-Mar-20 14:26:34

I was due for highlights, roots and cut, but won't go now. I'm quite expert at cutting my fringe and can do roots myself, my hair is jaw length. Don't particularly want to grow my hair long anymore, will have to pin it up I guess

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:27:06

That’s what I was saying in a cockeyed sort of way?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:28:26

I am only leaving the house with DH for our daily exercise. That’s how it will stay until the ghastly thing is defeated

janeainsworth Sat 21-Mar-20 14:29:43

I’ve already cancelled my appointment on April 2nd.

I can’t find it now, but I saw a video on YouTube once about how to do it yourself.
My hairstyle is a layered, chin length bob.

The technique involves drawing your hair into a ponytail on the top of your head, slightly to one side.
Cut straight across, take ponytail out and you have a layered hairdo.
I shall try it anyway. I shan’t bother with colour though & it will be interesting to see how bad it looks in 6 months’ time. grin

BlueBelle Sat 21-Mar-20 14:29:56

I went on Saturday at 8.30 just me and the hairdresser we both did the hand sanitizer before and after so I m hopeful we neither did anything bad I have another 8 15 app in a month I ll just have to see what’s happening by then otherwise I m certainly staying in 90% of the time and keeping my distance at all other times
I am on the list for age only I have no underlying health problems

Violettham Sat 21-Mar-20 14:30:10

Me too tanith

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:30:18

Very wise WW2!

nanaK54 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:30:39

I usually have a trim every three weeks, short hair, but no I wouldn't even consider a visit to hairdressers

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:32:55

BlueBelle that sounds sensible. I think one will be able to count on one hand the number of smart hairdos in 4 months time!

grannyrebel7 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:36:25

Think I'll grow mine even longer but if it gets too bad I'll try the pony tail thing. I do my own colour anyway. Definitely not going to the hairdressers! Health is much more important.