Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Best beauty brands for older skin? Recommendations please?

(93 Posts)
grantothree Fri 10-Jul-20 16:39:50

During lockdown I had a good sort of the bathroom and also the product stash I keep under my bed. So many things out of date or simply not suitable for me anymore. blush I tend to get in a rut using just soap and water for a bit, and then have a spurt of buying into a new regime and not sticking to it. I've recently tried Liz Earle cleanser which I quite enjoy and I think my face is feeling smoother and...cleaner?

When it comes to makeup I do tend to stick to a light foundation (incl spf) and then just mascara and a soft coloured lippy. But I want to start making more of an effort. My daughter recommends things to me but I'm not convinced they're right for my age (or colouring, she has olive skin and I'm very fair).
Where do you go for skincare or makeup? Are there any brands/products you swear by? If you have the time please add a link so I can find the exact thing you're talking about and don't have to guess. Often products have very similar things in the same range and it gets confusing. Thanks in advance. smile

Crazygran Sat 11-Jul-20 10:33:46

Elemis, Gatineau, Decleor

Macgran43 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:36:50

Have used Olay liquid day time moisturiser for years as it has Factor 15 SP also. Like No 7 serums,Clinique CC foundation,No 7 concealer stick and Clinique Moisture Surge overnight cream. Don’t know if there’s much difference.Read that expensive brands spend a lot on advertising and packaging. Have used Avon lipsticks for years and pay about £5. I see lipsticks advertised at £20+ pounds and think what a waste of money.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 11-Jul-20 10:37:25

grantothree
I don't believe in 'what is best' it is what suits our own skin and colouring and often, for many, what they can afford.My mother only used Astral or Palmolive soap and Nivea cream. I have paid a, 'lorra', money over the years on skin care /makeup and don't believe my skin looked any better for it than my mum on what she used.You can get samples ,try before you buy, for skin care and makeup and advice from the beauty counters in department stores / larger chemists .

annecordelia Sat 11-Jul-20 10:38:22

This is a well-timed post for me. I've been using Estee Lauder products for years, but they are getting too expensive for me now. Just yesterday I was thinking that I need to find some cheaper replacements. Trouble is, I have sensitive skin and if I choose the wrong things will end up spending more than if I'd stuck with E L...

Graygirl Sat 11-Jul-20 10:49:12

SBC for me . Been using for years check out there website, sizes from 100ml to litre, lite,non greasy, and good price point. I have very sensitive skin and this is the only brand in my bathroom and on my dressing table even DH uses it.I always check, qvc,amazon, and website for best price.

eazybee Sat 11-Jul-20 10:49:34

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water; Boots No. 7 serum, age appropriate, now in the oldest category; LaRoche-Posay Anthelios 50+ tinted fluid for light foundation; all obtainable from Boots; used to use all Lancome products but increasingly difficult to obtain locally , plus ridiculously expensive, and I don't like buying make-up on line when I can't see the colours.

Azalea99 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:49:57

CeraVe Moisturising cream! You get a big pot, it sinks in beautifully, can be used on face and body, and is very far from expensive.

b1zzle Sat 11-Jul-20 11:25:21

Just discovered a new and very cheap moisturiser which really works: vitamin e capsules (h&b). I can't swallow them as they make me dream, so being mean and not wanting to throw them away, I pierce one each morning with nail scissors and rub the oil into my skin. Works a treat!

icanhandthemback Sat 11-Jul-20 11:26:52

I use "The Ordinary" products which I buy from Cult Beauty. A little goes a long way and the Primer is brilliant. It makes such a difference to my skin before I put on a light smattering of Bare Minerals' powder and it looks very natural. I have suffered from eczema for years and it doesn't upset it. I have found that using Nizoral Shampoo has cured it. Apparently, the eczema is caused by an overload of yeast and it's characteristically found on the scalp, eyebrows, nose, ears, etc. I have suffered from this for decades, used cortisones, etc to take out the itch but it still kept occurring. Now I use the shampoo and dab a bit of it with a Q tip, leave it on the breakout areas for 3-5 minutes and rinse. I am delighted that I appear to have found a solution.

Theoddbird Sat 11-Jul-20 11:31:44

I ran out of the more expensive creams I had during lockdown. I had some Aveeno Baby moisture cream so I started using that. It is brilliant on my 'older' skin. I definitely recommend it

Glambat Sat 11-Jul-20 11:33:06

I like a brand called LFF....Look Fabulous Forever, specifically aimed at older ladies.

Hetty58 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:36:07

Theoddbird, I like Aveeno too, very kind to sensitive skin.

Good skincare is all about nutrition, really, as the skin cells are constantly shed.

Skin creams make us feel more comfortable but have no proven long term effects.

Sunscreen is the very best thing to put on your face!

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 11:36:19

Another vote for The Ordinary here. Superb products at very reasonable prices.

Suzalein Sat 11-Jul-20 11:52:34

I also use Dr Sam’s - cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen and my skin’s never been better.

Cornflower Sat 11-Jul-20 12:04:07

I have sensitive skin and use Clinique products including cleansing balm for evenings to take off make up, moisturizer for night, rich eye cream, micellar gel to refresh my skin in the mornings followed by daytime moisturizer with SPF and foundation (currently Beyond Perfecting in Cream Chamois). I use Clinique mascara but lipsticks from Estée Lauder, Lancome and Maybelline. Also creamy eye shadow from Maybelline.

Cornflower Sat 11-Jul-20 12:13:21

I should add that I buy my Clinique products from www.lookfantastic.com and www.allbeauty.com
Their products are competitively priced and they frequently offer 20% discounts. I have found both companies' customer service good. Products are sent out promptly.

Juicylucy Sat 11-Jul-20 12:23:48

Thank you ladies I missed Caroline Hirons on radio 4. She really gives no nonsense advise, and as she is not selling or promoting any products you know it comes from a good place. She recommends that’s all she does.

Stella14 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:24:41

Elemis Cleansing Balms are pretty unbeatable. Their moisturisers are gorgeous too. L’Occitaine is also lovely. Both are expensive. However, Allbeauty.com and Lookfantastic.com have sales on Elemis fairly regulary and bargains can be picked-up elsewhere. L’Occitaine is rarely discounted and their own sales tend not to include anything from their facial products range.

lilydily9 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:27:37

You've made a good start with Liz Earle cleanse & polish. I've used her products for many years and can't recommend them enough. Try her Brightening Treatment Mask, it really works! I only use foundation on special occasions and Clinique's BB-gel hydratant works for me. To add colour to my face without the use of makeup, I use Tan-Luxe self-tan drops for the face. You add a couple of drops to your moisturiser. You can buy them via QVC. Hope this helps!

Lancslass1 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:37:25

My neighbour who is 98 always uses Olay .
She says she never washes her face so I presume she uses a form of cleanser.
Her skin looks great .
I tend to use what is on offer.
My favourite is Body Shop vitamin C Skin reviver.
For years I used Johnson's baby lotion for everything.
As long as your skin is being moisturised I reckon that is good enough.

Phloembundle Sat 11-Jul-20 12:44:54

The best thing anyone can do is to use a cream with a high SPF . I have issues with highly perfumed products due to asthma, so have used Simple products. Bought new one to try called protect'n' glow with factor 30, but there is something not right with it because when I rub it in, it flakes. I would certainly welcome any suggestions for a cream with little or no scent with an SPF of 30.

Wake Sat 11-Jul-20 13:02:02

I‘Ve just bought the Caroline Hirons Skincare book. Great advice for all ages.
Also take a look at pamperedwolf on YouTube. She is great and uses her mum who is 66 to demonstrate skincare and makeup for more mature ladies.

Llamedos13 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:04:55

A vote from me for Nivea Soft.

Hawera1 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:11:47

Personally if you can afford it use salon skin care and make up. I've tried everything but find they are the best. I've been disappointed in all the chemist and department ones that advertise great results and don't deliver.

Jenna2 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:14:27

Humbertbear

I use No 7 skincare and make up. I’ve used it for years and they have different skincare ranges for different ages. I also like LOreal foundation.

I also like L'oreals foundation. +1.