Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help! Going to a trendy bar/club - what to wear?!!!

(35 Posts)
Fatbirdslim Tue 28-Jul-20 20:23:51

Hi I'm going to a trendy bar and club for a young friend's celebration and I don't know what to wear!
I know I can't 'compete' with the young ones but I'd really like to know what I might wear or what to do style-wise so I don't look ridiculous.
I'm a little overweight. I don't mind spending a bit as it will be the first thing I've bought since March!
Please help!!

GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 20:26:00

What about some jeans, tucked into knee high boots? A classic but not ‘mutton’ look?

No sequins anywhere. Glitter isn’t the older ladies friend!

MawB Tue 28-Jul-20 20:27:58

Are bars and trendy night clubs open now?

Doris19 Tue 28-Jul-20 20:29:03

A tunic with smart leggings will look good A nice pair of kitten heels or boots to finish the look ! Wear your most confident smile and enjoy

MissAdventure Tue 28-Jul-20 20:29:28

I love your username! smile
I've no idea about what to wear, though.

Maybe have a look at Facebook pics of 'youngsters' on a similar night out and adapt the look for yourself.

Juliet27 Tue 28-Jul-20 20:31:09

A mask!

Harris27 Tue 28-Jul-20 20:34:45

I go out with the young ones from work and usually wear jeans and small black suede boots and nice longer length top. As it’s summer I will wear linen trousers nice summer top and block heeled sandals and little bit of jewellery.

janeainsworth Tue 28-Jul-20 20:37:10

Maw Ronnie Scott’s is opening on August 1st.

Fatbirdslim I don’t know where in the country you live, but if you were clubbing in Newcastle you could wear anything, or hardly anything. grin
No one notices what anyone is wearing, anyway.
Have a great time smile

lemongrove Tue 28-Jul-20 20:39:52

Night clubs are closed.

....but when I do go..I favour the classy look of twinset and pearls and a tweed skirt.Flat lace up shoes make sure I don’t fall over when dancing the night away.I also wear a flower in my grey permed hair.You can’t go wrong with classic clothes.

geekesse Tue 28-Jul-20 20:49:06

I recommend palazzo pants, a loose sleeveless top and a thigh length or longer long floaty jacket. I bought just such an outfit from Evans last year for under £100. It’s comfortable, versatile and age-appropriate.

Jane10 Tue 28-Jul-20 20:57:09

lemongrove- perfect!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 28-Jul-20 21:02:13

Just what I’d choose to kind of blend in lemon but I would add fav brooch and nice little hand bag, matching, to complete the look with some lippy and compact for powederin the nose when things warm up ?.

V3ra Tue 28-Jul-20 21:06:57

If it's young people I think you'll be surprised how little they're wearing ?
I like Doris19's suggestion of a tunic (or short dress) with leggings (or opaque tights). Dressy but comfortable shoes.
It's likely to be warm in a club.
Don't take a coat: I was asked by some random chap in a bar in London why I'd brought a coat once ?
Don't take a big handbag ? ?
Have fun ?

GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 22:18:38

janeainsworth

Maw Ronnie Scott’s is opening on August 1st.

Fatbirdslim I don’t know where in the country you live, but if you were clubbing in Newcastle you could wear anything, or hardly anything. grin
No one notices what anyone is wearing, anyway.
Have a great time smile

You're not wrong. I once saw a girl in the Bigg Market wearing a thong, a tutu and duct tape instead of a bra. Nothing else, other than vertiginous stilettos.

Lisagran Tue 28-Jul-20 22:25:11

You're not wrong. I once saw a girl in the Bigg Market wearing a thong, a tutu and duct tape instead of a bra. Nothing else, other than vertiginous stilettos

Ooh - winces at the duct tape being taken off......

Chewbacca Tue 28-Jul-20 22:31:43

Lemon what have I told you about raiding my wardrobe? hmm

janeainsworth Tue 28-Jul-20 22:46:21

Gagajo grin one of my neighbours moaned to me once about how his teenage daughter would turn up the heating by several degrees in the house, wear thick sweaters etc but could go out to the Bigg Market on a Friday night in winter clad only in a short skirt and strappy top !

Callistemon Tue 28-Jul-20 23:06:12

lemongrove that look is very 'in' just now.
In fact, my usual attire

I'm never out of fashion.

gillybob Tue 28-Jul-20 23:09:01

I love your name fatbirdslim grin

I’m not sure where you are in the country but I would say just dress for you (perhaps with a bit of an edge) . Push the boundaries a little bit but don’t completely change your usual style or else you will feel uncomfortable . Going to a trendy bar doesn’t mean you need to dress like a freak !

Culottes are back in fashion now and look lovely with a wedge sandal and nautical style top. Or how about a midi or maxi dress ?

The fashion world is your oyster . Have a lovely time I’m just a teensy bit envy

FlyingHandbag Wed 29-Jul-20 22:06:56

What about an off the shoulder top with a skirt and low heels? X

FlyingHandbag Wed 29-Jul-20 22:07:52

Oh and a nice clutch handbag with a shoulder strap. X

Gummie Wed 29-Jul-20 23:00:44

Don’t forget your mask

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 23:15:25

Juliet27

A mask!

An absolutely essential accessory I would think.

Especially after looking at tonight's news.
And a 2 metre measuring stick with a cattle prod on the end.

FlyingHandbag Wed 29-Jul-20 23:31:39

Gummie

Don’t forget your mask

Get one that matches your outfit though. X

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 23:39:30

Yes, don't spoil a lovely outfit with a clashing mask.

I must make some more to match all my outfits.