Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Will never wear a normal bra again!

(109 Posts)
Chrisks Sun 09-Aug-20 11:29:41

My daughter told me about crop tops from Primark or even crop tops from anywhere! Gosh, I’ve had some uncomfortable bras in the past, wires digging in and straps constantly falling down. Just wondered if anyone else has found how wonderful they are!

Willow500 Mon 10-Aug-20 08:40:23

I can't wear the crop top type as they just don't offer enough support - I have a couple of bodies which, whilst flattering to the middle area, just don't do it at the top! I have progressed to non wired bras though but ones with more support - I've had them from both M&S and Sainsburys and they are much more comfortable. Also moved on to bigger (well higher) knickers to try and reduce all the overspill blush

Saxon17 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:37:26

I’ve become a convert to non wired bras since lockdown! M&S ones are very comfortable & much more attractive than they used to be

Humbertbear Mon 10-Aug-20 09:37:57

If you have large breasts it’s much more comfortable to keep them in place in a soft bra. I think it’s better for the muscles as well. I wear nighties with built in support

Froglady Mon 10-Aug-20 09:39:23

I get M & S bras, non wired ones for me. I can't cope with any type of wire or plastic in a bra as I have scars on the inside of my arms and underneath my boobs from surgery and I have to be very careful what I wear.

jaylucy Mon 10-Aug-20 09:42:57

I'd love to wear crop tops but my boobs would be hanging to my waist if I did!
I just object to having to pay extra because I wear an E cup that some stores charge extra for if you are over a C cup.

Notyetagran46 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:51:56

Like others, I’m too well endowed to wear crop tops, and I also have difficulties in doing up my bra round my back because my left arm has restricted movement.
I’ve tried finding front fastening bras but they either don’t have much support or they’re posture improving bras which are more like sports bras.
Has any gran found pretty front fastening bras which offer support without making you feel you are in a straight jacket?

GuestCorrectly Mon 10-Aug-20 09:53:36

Found that sports bras (those that look like crop tops at the front but fasten at the back) are not only wonderfully comfortable but also supportive. Discovered them at the gym but now where them daily after investing in some plain white ones.

kwest Mon 10-Aug-20 09:54:09

Some years ago I decided to buy a sports bra and went into the small independent lingerie shop we had in our town at the time (sadly now closed down). I explained that I had just joined our local gym and thought a sports bra might be a good idea. The lady took one look at me and said " No, what you need is a Doreen,". She was right if course and produced a totally glamour free bra that fitted properly without under-wiring. I have worn Doreen's for years now and M&S do them but don't call them that. I even wear one under my swimsuit for aquarobics as I cannot imagine anyone jumping around comfortably without a good supporting bra. I have since found sports bras called shock absorbers which are also very good. I too had wondered about buying those soft comfortable looking pull-on bras but after reading other ladies experiences on here I won't bother. I have gone up a size in band in Doreen recently and it has made all the difference, especially when feeling bloated in the evening. Also no 'back-fat'.

EmilyHarburn Mon 10-Aug-20 10:02:04

This online bra shop which is helpful. I am planning to ditch my bras one by one and then get a whole new set next year.
www.brashoponline.co.uk/blogs/news/why-visit-the-bra-shop-at-morecambe

threexnanny Mon 10-Aug-20 10:02:09

I've tried the pull-on type but find I struggle getting them on and off . They seem to curl -up at the back as I'm pulling them down and are worst if I'm just out of the shower. They are very comfortable once on.

Chris0 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:03:43

Ha ha bras are the spawn of the devil. Was scarred for life when my mom bought me my first bra. Madonna would have loved it. Hated them ever since.
Started wearing crop bras last year so much more comfortable.

BusterTank Mon 10-Aug-20 10:07:19

I wear them to bed . My breast are to large to wear them every day , they just don't give me the support . Although I wish I could because they are comfortable . Just need someone to come up with some for larger breasted ladies with a bit of support .

hicaz46 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:07:42

I have bought some sports type bras online from Groupon or similar site, in a variety of colours. They are soooo comfortable and can match your outfits. Despite having biggish boobs I’d never wear anything else.

4allweknow Mon 10-Aug-20 10:09:30

Gather the cropped top type of bra have wide straps so how will they look when wearing a dress with thin straps, cut away front, lower side seams? Can't imagine turning up looking as if still wearing gym gear underneath. Think its the latest money making fashion.

Jane10 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:21:05

They can make as much money as they want from the M&S crop top ones. They really work. Very good support. I wouldn't want to wear a strappy dress anyway.

Esspee Mon 10-Aug-20 10:23:16

Oh my! I thought as many of us were around in the sixties we would have all burnt our bras.
Personally I only wear one when the type of clothing makes it necessary.

jenpax Mon 10-Aug-20 10:48:10

I love sports bras and wear these almost exclusively! I have always hated wearing wired bras even well fitted ones! I too take my bra off as soon as I come in from work and I don’t sleep in a bra. My boobs are not big so not as saggy as they could be??‍♀️ So sports bras provide just the right support ?

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Aug-20 10:49:19

You are right I believe, Jane10 about the underwire/cancer myth.

It was actually to do with larger breasted women mostly wearing underwires rather than soft bras I believe. These women with larger breasts were much more likely to be overweight or obese than smaller-breasted women.
It was the overweight/obese element that caused the increased cancers.

Elijah Mon 10-Aug-20 10:51:06

I've always had to wear cotton bras due to sensitive skin. A couple of years ago I found it increasingly harder to put my bra on (you know the type fasten in front then twist it round and slip your arms in!) I managed to find a front fastening cotton bra that actually fits and is comfortable to wear and my boobs are supported quite well (I'm a big girl)

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 10-Aug-20 11:00:17

I am 40E so a tad top heavy! I tried bras from Bravissimo but could never get the right fit. Now I buy all my bras from Miss Mary of Sweden (but made in Estonia) and they are great. Cotton, non-wired, extra wide straps. Perfect. I have never worn a bra in bed. I lie on my front so everything get scrunched up anyway. When I had breast cancer a few years ago I bought a couple of enormous crop tops from M&S.

gillyknits Mon 10-Aug-20 11:10:52

I’m so glad that I found the Matalan ones. I have one boob a cup size larger than the other and normal bras are awful. I’ve either got one half empty cup or the larger one is fighting to get out all the time . I end looking like Ive got three boobs at the front! These crop top ones fit comfortably.

tinysidsmum Mon 10-Aug-20 11:14:25

I love them, I buy from Avon, so comfy

grandtanteJE65 Mon 10-Aug-20 11:20:17

Could someone post a picture?

I have no idea what a crop top is, and the internet seems to use it for everything from a short vest or t-shirt to a bra without padded cups and wires.

janipans Mon 10-Aug-20 11:22:00

NB - just looked at M&S site and the crossover sports bras mentioned are "out of stock" . Same with the "Doreen" from John Lewis!

sandelf Mon 10-Aug-20 11:36:49

One vote for Uniqlo.