Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mascara recommendation.

(49 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 21-Sep-20 20:48:30

I always use a waterproof mascara daily so I can put it on and forget it.
Recently I seem to be lost and haven't found one that I like. I don't want spider eyes but do want some definition.

I also don't want to be buying one after another that doesn't work for me and lies unused.

Does anyone use a waterproof mascara that they would recommend.

Coolgran65 Tue 22-Sep-20 13:49:59

No one?

DiscoGran Tue 22-Sep-20 15:52:49

The only one I have used is by Clinique. It was nice, and did not look spidery.

Esspee Tue 22-Sep-20 15:59:36

Far more natural looking is to dye your eyelashes. You can do it yourself or any beauty salon can do it quite cheaply.

JaneyG Tue 22-Sep-20 16:04:18

Estée Lauder Doublewear mascara is very good. It isn’t waterproof, but it doesn’t smudge and comes off really easily with water or gentle remover.

lemongrove Tue 22-Sep-20 16:37:04

Rimmel waterproof mascara ( in blue tube) I have sensitive eyes and this one is fine.

YorkLady Tue 22-Sep-20 16:44:48

YSL do a good waterproof mascara. Bought it for our daughters wedding. £28 though, it’s a bit expensive for everyday wear (well, it is for me).smile

toscalily Tue 22-Sep-20 16:51:15

I have been diagnosed with dry eyes which are also somewhat sensitive and can water easily, especially when sunny. I prefer a waterproof mascara and find Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long-Wearing Formula £21, Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara £20 and cheap as chips Maybelline Waterproof £4.99. None of these have those horrible curved or very plastic type brushes nor are they overly large either. None of these irritate my eyes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:00:43

Blinc tubular mascara is the only one that doesnt give me panda eyes,and I have tried many over the years!

Dee1012 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:35:19

I've tried many brands over the years and always return to Max Factor....2000 calorie waterproof and smudge proof. A colleague highly recommends Essence mascara from Wilko, extremely reasonably priced.

OldEnough2noBetter Wed 23-Sep-20 10:04:29

Hey, Coolgran65! I've recently started using Sport FX Sport Stamina Mascara, which I buy online. It's inexpensive and cruelty free. I wear lenses and have dry eyes and because this formula is made for sporty sweaty folks, it does a fantastic job! smile

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 10:07:28

Another vote for 2000 calorie.
I've never found a better one.
Although L'Oréal paradise lashes comes close.

Nanderin Wed 23-Sep-20 10:08:41

Hi I use Lancome Hypnose waterproof.
Really nice doesn't bother my eyes.

Jamcee Wed 23-Sep-20 10:27:34

Lancôme Hypnose waterproof is excellent.

Sparklefairydust Wed 23-Sep-20 10:31:03

Why are all waterproof mascaras black, it's much too harsh for me, I need brown but can't seem to find one anywhere.

pipdog Wed 23-Sep-20 10:32:14

I use Boots No7 extreme length waterproof mascara, the beauty of it for me is that it comes in a black/brown as well as just black.

Glenfinnan Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:26

Thank you all again I’m truly spoilt for choice!

Leah50 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:29

I use Poundland Make-Up Gallery cosmetics, including water-proof mascara.Not tested on animals, scent-free, fine on my sensitive skin & brilliantly low price.

BlackSheep46 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:37

The Green People mascara doe not contain tar like most do so work very well. Give it a try - buy online .
When I worked with a charity helping post chemo women to look more like themselves we taught the technique of tight lining i.e you use a SOFT eyeliner pencil to tint the INSIDE on upper eyelid- then you look like you are wearing mascara and it opens up the eyes.

Hollyhock1 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:52:10

I use the same as Nanderin - Lancome Hypnose. I alternate according to the weather between the normal one and the waterproof one. Tried loads throughout my life but always come back to this one.

granjan15 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:52:56

Another vote for Boots No7 black/brown.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 23-Sep-20 11:10:59

Blacksheep I have blepheritis and only wear mascara very occasionally but I do use your trick of lining the inside of my upper eyelids with a soft eyeliner. It also gets rid of that "old lady" look where the upper inside eyelid is too visible giving a startled appearance.
I always feel that mascara just reinfects your eyes if you have a problem however clean you keep the brush. Should really be thrown away after one use but who would want to do that?

Phloembundle Wed 23-Sep-20 11:15:02

Max Factor 2000 cal for years till it started being too heavy for my sparse eyelashes. Now use Maybelline the falsies waterproof. Nice and light for my very sensitive eyes.

Outofstepwithhumanity Wed 23-Sep-20 11:28:17

M & S & Bodyshop used to do Brown waterproof, but have to say that neither gave the effect I wanted. I also vote for the cheapo Rimmel, it’s the only one that seems to give a full effect without clumping; most seem too thick.

Rosina Wed 23-Sep-20 11:33:48

Boots No7 always works for me - their make up seems to be very gentle, doesn't cause any flare ups, and is not tested on animals.