Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mascara recommendation.

(50 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 21-Sep-20 20:48:30

I always use a waterproof mascara daily so I can put it on and forget it.
Recently I seem to be lost and haven't found one that I like. I don't want spider eyes but do want some definition.

I also don't want to be buying one after another that doesn't work for me and lies unused.

Does anyone use a waterproof mascara that they would recommend.

Teetime Wed 23-Sep-20 11:38:32

I wouldnt buy a waterproof mascara as I dont swim or do watersports and they are not recommended as they can be hard to remove without damaging the lashes. Clarins Wonder Perfect gives good definition, doesn't smudge and comes off easily with remover.

lizzypopbottle Wed 23-Sep-20 11:43:18

MF 2000 Calorie brown/black for me but I don't use waterproof unless I'll be swimming or showering in a sports changing room. I worry that removing waterproof mascara will pull my eyelashes out! (Irrational or what?) Max Factor maintain a market in China, where testing on animals is compulsory, so that's a drawback. I've tried other brands but it can be an expensive search.
Maybelline has always made my eyes react.

Redhead56 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:44:32

Poundland makeup is very good Turn up the volume brown black good for sensitive eyes.

Bikerhiker Wed 23-Sep-20 12:06:35

I have sensitive eyes and have tried many. I now stick to Rimmel.

MarinaL Wed 23-Sep-20 12:40:11

Another vote for Lancome but I like their Definicils as the brush is smaller and better for sparse lashes. It is Opthalmologist tested and suitable for contact lenses so would maybe suit you.

pamdixon Wed 23-Sep-20 12:42:23

I agree with the people who have recommended Lancome Hypnose. I have very sensitive eyes and my eyes tolerate it very well . Not sure I'd try dyeing eyelashes, as someone suggested, if you have sensitive eyes..................!! Also, I'd highly recommend vaseline for removing eye-make up. Doesnt cause fussy old me any problems.

4allweknow Wed 23-Sep-20 13:51:01

I have dry eyes and need a waterproof mascara. Used Boots for a fair length of time but it seems to dry out very quickly. Also use Maybelline which I prefer and not expensive to renew.

sharon103 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:24:27

I have to stay with the same make-up brands as I have allergies especially my eyes. I have Boots Natural Collection mascara brown/black.

ExaltedWombat Wed 23-Sep-20 16:02:35

Reject the tyranny of makeup! You're beautiful as you are.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:14:42

Lancome I've used theirs for over thirty years now. It is the only waterproof mascara I have ever found, which is acutally waterproof.

Kamiso Wed 23-Sep-20 16:26:15

Clarins mascara fix works well but I found their own reps hadn’t heard of it but one eventually checked it out and ordered me one.

Itsmyfirstrodeo Wed 23-Sep-20 17:32:00

I have used waterproof mascara for years, mainly because I don't tend to wear makeup, so when I do, I forget and rub my eyes!!
I have settled on Collection lash surge. It's very easy to apply and does the job of many much more expensive brands.
Thank you for the tip on using pencil on the inside lid!

Bluedaisy Wed 23-Sep-20 17:52:20

I’ve always been an avid waterproof mascara fanatic. I alternate at the moment between Lancôme hypnose, guerlain Waterproof (which is my favourite at this moment in time) And Eyeko sport with skinny brush or their new blackest black which I cannot remember the name at the moment but it was excellent at being properly waterproof

Markoni40 Wed 23-Sep-20 20:04:37

I like Avon mascaras, really good and very affordable. I tried all expensive brands: Lancôme, Chanel, Clarins, Bobby Brown, etc. and always come back to Avon as better one

f77ms Thu 24-Sep-20 09:20:37

I use clinique, it's hypo alergenic and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes. I buy the testers on line through ebay and use for a couple of months then discard. This way they they stay fresh and not full of bacteria.

Coolgran65 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:19:56

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will start with Rimmel or Maybelline.

Jillybird Thu 24-Sep-20 13:18:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alokin4 Thu 24-Sep-20 14:51:02

I’ve been using waterproof mascara by La Roche Posay for many years, recommended by a dermatologist. You need to use LRP’s Respectissime eye make up remover too but I find both are longlasting and good value for money.

faringdon59 Thu 01-Oct-20 18:00:20

I have used Blue waterproof mascara for years. However, occasionally it makes my eyes water and I have to take it off. So have been trying to find an alternative brand to try (blue again), but it's virtually impossible to find.

Sophiasnana Sat 17-Oct-20 21:29:19

I LOVE Maybelline the Falsies lashlift mascara. I must have tried dozens of mascaras in the last few years and none of them lived up to the hype. This one does. Its my mascara from now on.

lizzajohnson10 Mon 19-Oct-20 13:56:18

Coolgran65

I always use a waterproof mascara daily so I can put it on and forget it.
Recently I seem to be lost and haven't found one that I like. I don't want spider eyes but do want some definition.

I also don't want to be buying one after another that doesn't work for me and lies unused.

Does anyone use a waterproof mascara that they would recommend.

First of all, you have to understand which type of mascara suits your eyelashes. Many women have mascara, but they don't know what's better for their skin, waterproof, or regular. For those that naturally get watery eyes, waterproof mascaras are a perfect alternative, and waterproof mascaras have a good holding formula. Non-waterproof mascara is ideal for everyday use, lighter and softer for your eyelashes. With only warm water, the non-waterproof mascara is quickly removed.

FlyingHxndbag Mon 19-Oct-20 13:59:02

Revlon mascaras are great. X

Best4me Fri 04-Mar-22 10:20:31

Not a new thread I’m afraid as I am
still very interested in the ‘which to buy mascara’ one. I have been losing my hair everywhere for a couple of years due to stress and poor health. My eyelashes are getting quite sparse and I am not wanting to use false eyelashes, so, any other tips to help make the very best of my fragile eyelashes?

eazybee Fri 04-Mar-22 10:35:24

I have used Lancome waterproof mascara for more years than I care to remember, but recently (last few months) it has been impossible to obtain. About to start searching again.