Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Not too old for a denim jacket!

(220 Posts)
Chrisks Wed 23-Sep-20 21:03:36

Bought myself one today on the advice of my daughter! I absolutely love it and it will go with so many things.
Makes me feel young and trendy again!
I’m 66 and a size 14!
Anyone else got one?

Bikerhiker Wed 23-Sep-20 23:42:14

Love mine. It goes with everything.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 23:52:44

£4.50 is just too good to pass up Marydoll. If I'd seen that in my size, I'd have grabbed it too. envy

CanadianGran Thu 24-Sep-20 00:00:35

Have had one for years, and it gets quite a bit of use. I also have a olive linen one in the same style for use in summer. Sleeves rolled up, and jingling silver bracelets of course.smile

Marelli Thu 24-Sep-20 00:14:30

You've all made me go on Ebay.... (I'm 'watching' one). ?

vegansrock Thu 24-Sep-20 04:17:46

I’ve got 2 from Uniqlo. They often have them reduced. One is pink. They get a lot of wear.

EilaRose Thu 24-Sep-20 06:49:36

Good find, Marydoll! Not sure what happened to mine, think it went missing in a move some years ago, or maybe DD took it?...but..I've got some black faux suede (for a change) and bought some lining fabric last week. Not sure I'll both sewing it until Winter though.

Might be tempted to make a denim one from recycled jeans. I've got a piece of faux shearling that would make a nice collar...hmm!

I agree 'never' too old for denim, I made another pair of jeans week before last. Unfortunately due to long body/arms/legs I can't buy clothes but much prefer to make my own anyway, then they are truly individual. LOL

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 07:33:14

I'm envious, EilaRose! ?

I spend my life taking up sleeves and trouser legs. In fact that is today's task. Two pairs of jeggings, and three tops to be altered.

Don't tell me to start making my own, as I'm the child the nuns made rip her sewing out on a weekly basis! ?

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 07:51:59

Marydoll you would have loved my GDs school then, apparently it doesn’t matter how the item is stitched up, it’s all about the design!! ?

Obviously doesn’t matter if it falls apart when you are wearing it, just how it looks as it falls to the floor I guess

silvercollie Thu 24-Sep-20 09:49:02

Well, I have a had a denim jacket for years and years - I am 77, by the way - AND I wear my white hair long. So there!

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:55:36

Love my denim jacket. smile

Gwyneth Thu 24-Sep-20 09:56:11

Wear my denim jackets all the time. They’re the ‘go to’ items in my wardrobe. ?

boops Thu 24-Sep-20 10:02:53

I have pale blue, indigo, pink and mid blue ones - love them all

Witzend Thu 24-Sep-20 10:05:09

I don’t have one but have certainly thought about it!

A lovely French neighbour of a BiL (he has a house in France) very often wears a pale denim one over a dress, and a frequent fellow guest (male) once said of her, ‘She is the most elegant woman I have ever met.’ (Secretly in love with her I think!)
She’s in her 70s.

henetha Thu 24-Sep-20 10:05:17

You're never too old for anything. Wear whatever makes you happy. I'm very old and still wear denim and don't care what people think. It's harmless.

Pussycat2012 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:08:42

I’m 56 and really fancied one but was worried I was too old now but thanks to you all am convinced I won’t be able to carry on much longer without one (or two!!).?

handbaghoarder Thu 24-Sep-20 10:09:56

Meeee!! I bought a Ruth Langsford designed one from QVC expecting it to be the restrictive and uncomfy garment of old Its fab! Dark denim Soooo stretchy and so comfy. She does various colours and her ‘ sunset red’ is actually a glorious orange and I love it !! Im tall, 67 and size 20 and enjoying every minute of wearing them though wouldn’t double blue denim.

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 10:12:47

I’ve had one for 20+ years, I love it. Never too old for a classic .

Westcoaster Thu 24-Sep-20 10:14:06

I am leaning toward getting one too. I have a navy linen jacket in the style of a denim one and I absolutely love it and wear it all summer ... goes with anything!
I would love another lightweight one for next summer.

Aepgirl Thu 24-Sep-20 10:21:52

I’ve tried so many on in shops (last year - not been to the shops since March) but some are so stiff, some flimsy, etc. Prices vary so much that it’s really hard to choose. Any suggestions?

mimismo Thu 24-Sep-20 10:31:55

Pussycat2012 - I'm in my 60s and thinking the same. Thanks for the post Chrisk

Phloembundle Thu 24-Sep-20 10:49:39

I have one. Older women in denim look trendy.

Lulubelle500 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:51:03

I bought one at the beginning of Summer. Lovely, soft, perfect fit - looks wonderful but... I haven't worn it yet. My DIL was trawling through my clothes for something to wear, tried it on and looked so good I almost gave it to her on the spot. But I didn't. DH can't see my problem but I think he still looks at me and sees a Jane Birkin look-alike, bless him. Like my Mum I haven't gone grey yet, and also like her look twenty years younger than my age, but still...denim. Can't decide.

Annaram1 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:52:52

I once had a lovely apricot coloured one which I took on holiday to Vancouver and left in a shop loo somewhere. Went back after 20 minutes and it was gone. Not handed in either. So sad as it was a rare colour and I've never seen another one like it.

4allweknow Thu 24-Sep-20 10:53:16

Placed an off white denim in the charity shop pile during lockdown clearout had it for years but decided I wanted a lined one. Bought a mid blue one only last month in a sale. Wouldn't be without one.

Speldnan Thu 24-Sep-20 10:53:16

I’ve got 2, one short and a darker longer one- I’m 70, never too old to be stylish. My mother is 93 and wears white jeans and a denim jacket, she’s a size 10 and looks amazing in all her clothes.