Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Not too old for a denim jacket!

(220 Posts)
Chrisks Wed 23-Sep-20 21:03:36

Bought myself one today on the advice of my daughter! I absolutely love it and it will go with so many things.
Makes me feel young and trendy again!
I’m 66 and a size 14!
Anyone else got one?

TwiceAsNice Sat 26-Sep-20 09:19:52

I’m a firm believer of wearing whatever you like but denim jackets are not for me ( do wear jeans) but then I didn’t like them when I was young either

Marydoll Sat 26-Sep-20 10:41:11

For anyone interested, a poster mentioned Tillets on another thread. They have a denim jacket for £14 in their sale.

BelindaB Sat 26-Sep-20 10:52:55

I am 74 and treated myself to an olive green pair of fine cotton dungarees with a huge rising sun on the front. All my granddaughters want it! Do I look ridiculous?

Don't know, care even less.

It is wonderfully comfortable in hot weather!

Millie22 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:09:52

Sorry but it looks like a mouse has been at that jacket!! Ripped jeans are very 'in' currently but not really a good look if you're over 25.

DanniRae Sat 26-Sep-20 18:31:23

If I wear anything denim I want it to be without holes or rips - I don't think at 72 I could get away with the distressed look. My daughters are 49 and 47 and, to be honest, I don't think they would either hmm

harrysgran Sun 27-Sep-20 12:25:51

I say wear whatever makes you feel good but it's not a style for me I feel the same about leather jackets I have worn both in the past but not a look I go for now

Deedaa Sun 27-Sep-20 21:53:05

I bought a blazer style denim jacket with threequarter sleeves in Marks last year. Wore it and wore it. It goes beautifully with skirts and dresses.

Blinko Wed 30-Sep-20 20:07:56

Had second thoughts re denim jacket. They all seem to have breast pockets which don't go with over generous boobs... Back to the drawing board.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:38:19

Demi jackets, bomber jackets and flying jackets.
I seem to remember GabbyG and I think Gillybob- went for the fur lined M&S one.

aaronjames Tue 06-Oct-20 00:14:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB2 Tue 06-Oct-20 00:50:25

Never too old to spot spam either!
Reported

Sparkling Wed 07-Oct-20 20:03:08

Cannot bear ripped jeans or other clothing, they look scruffy,

jeans109SS Sat 23-Dec-23 14:13:55

Hey, you're right about the denim jackets. My love for them just isn't fading. It's not just how trendy and versatile they are, but also the way they have something for every age group. If you're looking into jackets, you might want to check out this one I came across: an 80s jean jacket. It's a beautiful throwback to the vintage era. Look at it here jeans4you.shop/collections/womens-80s-jean-jackets. You might end up loving it as much as I do.

Marydoll Sat 23-Dec-23 14:56:50

Reported as SPAM.

This thread has been resurrected after three years!

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Dec-23 16:17:15

I haven’t got one but my niece bought some for her sisters and mum for her hen do. She painted them so it’s tricky for my DS to wear hers now with Mother of the Bride on her back!
I’ll try and find a photo but don’t hold your breath!

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Dec-23 17:12:33

Found the brides jacket.
Rather reduces its wearability🤷🏼‍♀️

Blossoming Sat 23-Dec-23 17:20:43

My denim jacket is around 30 years old and I still wear it.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 23-Dec-23 17:34:11

When I think of all the lovely dresses, jackets etc etc I have got rid of over the years I could weep. I suppose I thought I would never fit in them in the distant future and amazingly I could now.
The last couple of hot summers I longed for a flared midi length tie waisted Greek blue cotton dress I wore well in Greece. If I hadnt also ditched my denim jacket some years back I could have worn it as well!!
I think carefully before I take things to the charity shop now.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 17:47:01

I bought my first ever denim jacket last week. £5 in my favourite charity shop, m and s light blue fits perfectly
and looks nice with everything.
Wore it to my dd, she and my gd both said it looks good.
I am 75 short snd a bit wide of girth but love it.
Never too old.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 17:50:53

Sorry Marydoll, I just got excited when I spotted the thread in active.

Marydoll Sat 23-Dec-23 18:08:58

silverlining48

Sorry Marydoll, I just got excited when I spotted the thread in active.

No apologies needed! I just get annoyed at spammers. You never know if the link is dodgy or not.
In fact, I bought a blue and a black denim jacket from White Stuff in the summer. I love them. You are never too old! 😁

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 18:11:45

😎

Gwyllt Sat 23-Dec-23 18:44:06

How inspirational
Fancied a denim jacket but like so many didn’t want to be described as mutton dressed as lamb
Am definitely going to take a serious look
Thanks all

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 19:17:54

Go for it gwyllt

Soozikinzi Sat 23-Dec-23 19:23:24

I have a pink one and a light denim one . I wear them all the time in summer . The up to date ones are much more comfortable than the original ones because the denim is stretchy now . So definitely go for it !