Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All this 'how to be stylish' advice.

(91 Posts)
ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 12:50:23

I do wish the models used in these programmes, articles, blogs on this subject were based more on 'real' people. The lovely tall, slender, examples of old age are nothing like most of us.
Where are the overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked examples that are representative of most of us?
Just a thought.

Lisagran Fri 16-Oct-20 18:48:45

Hetty58

Lisagran, I wouldn't be seen dead in any of those three get ups!

I did say, “Which of these 3 images - if any - do you like?”, Hetty smile. There’s wide range of ages and types of folks on GN, and we’ll all have different ways of dressing, and different takes on style. I imagine quite a few of us had professional jobs, having to dress quite smartly, and now - retired- are adjusting to a more casual, comfortable look - without giving up on style?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:56:32

I don’t mind image 1, but would never wear two or three in million years, while I might look through fashion mags i will only wear what I know suits me, I’m not really taken it by the stylish tag! I’m not really a follower, I have my own style

MissAdventure Fri 16-Oct-20 16:39:53

Hetty grin
You really made my day, you funny woman!

Callistemon Fri 16-Oct-20 15:55:52

A denim crop top and a silver sequinned mini skirt, with my trademark white six inch heels
I've still got my Fairy Godmother dress on with stilettos and pink fluorescent socks, I love it so much.
The dress is rather torn and dirty now, though, so not so stylish as it was.
It's from spending so long up that bloody tree.
Oops - do fairies swear?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:47:21

I would definitely wear images one and two (I am 5'2" size 10 on the bottom and 12 on the top)

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:15:37

Dear Ladies & Gents you have made my day and given me a hearty laugh. Thank you!

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:52:11

*Spangler* You remind me of my late husband - well turned out until his death. His signature: red socks, pocket handkerchief and beautiful shoes polished to see yourself. I heard my DD comment "I do wish men today were as well and smartly turned out as my F always was".

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 14:46:45

Thanks Hetty!
I still none the wiser. grin.

However, I may fulfil the criteria for much of your description above! ?

Hetty58 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:33:42

Marydoll, I'm not sure I really understand what 'stylish' actually is. It seems to be different things to different people.

To me:

Jeans - not good on anything other than a perfectly toned bum and long legs (so usually the young). Don't people ever check their back and side views too - they really should.

Tunics - look silly, like kiddies mini-dresses for the elderly - usually ruined by shapeless, stick-like legs emerging beneath!

High heels (unless you're a lifelong dancer) look very dangerous - especially when the wearing has the 'elderly waddle' walk.

Big jewellery - what on Earth is it about. Old person with giant jewellery seems to be a thing - but why?

fevertree Fri 16-Oct-20 14:28:39

Spangler a local man who lives in my area dresses like you describe and it makes my day when I see him on the high street. smile

Here are some thanks for you.

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 14:18:20

Hetty, would you be able to post an image of what you think is stylish, just from another perspective?

Hetty58 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:16:30

Lisagran, I wouldn't be seen dead in any of those three get ups!

Tea3 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:05:24

I've a friend like that Deedaa, she really looks the goods whatever the occasion but none of her clothes are expensive. Comfort comes first with me I'm afraid. I think the invention of Lycra was the work of the devil. Who wants to spend all day squashed up in sausage skins!

Deedaa Thu 15-Oct-20 21:43:45

I used to have a dear friend who always looked wonderful. She was in her 50s, very short, typical apple shape. She wasn't well off so most of her clothes came from charity shops and jumble sales. Her style was tunics and leggings and she had a wonderful eye for colour, jewel bright blues, greens and purples. Always looked as if she'd spent a fortune.

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 21:40:56

Classy, lemongrove

kittylester Thu 15-Oct-20 21:38:20

Callistemon, I was 5'5" aged 11 and was goal shooter in the net ball team. A year later everyone had caught me up and i discovered that there is more to being good at netball than being tall.

lemongrove Thu 15-Oct-20 21:20:12

When I’m working in the bar I have to look stylish so I opt for
A denim crop top and a silver sequinned mini skirt, with my trademark white six inch heels.?

At home, I slouch about in any old thing.

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 21:02:31

I think Christine Lagarde looks stylish as an international working woman, but her style is not to my personal taste at all. Even when I was working, I was never very keen on that tailored, classic look. I think she looks older than her age (64)

But each to their own smile

Spangler Thu 15-Oct-20 20:23:52

merlotgran

In my head I'm Joanna Lumley so I don't want to be looking at a photo of an overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked model suggesting otherwise.

So there! grin

Now let me see.
Overweight, check.
Double chinned, check.
Spectacled, check.
Short, check.
Dumpy, check.
Swollen legs, check.
Skinny, check.
Saggy breasts, check.
Thinning hair, check.
Scraggy neck, check.
78 year old is transformed:
www.dollhousephotography.co.uk/

grannyrebel7 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:12:50

Definitely no. 1 don't fancy the other two at all. I've spent the last 7 months in jeans or shorts with nice tops. I've got loads of dresses, but haven't got anywhere to wear them now. Having a bad day today too.

Millie22 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:00:12

Lisagran
I would wear the white top of lady 3 with the jeans on lady 1. Don't like 2 at all.

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 19:06:07

I do like no.1 Lisa, but those days are behind me.
No.2 is more like me.

Christine always looks great. ? envy

MerylStreep Thu 15-Oct-20 19:01:57

Obviously it didn't. I love her style.

MerylStreep Thu 15-Oct-20 19:01:03

Lisagran
Definitely No 1 ( lady in denim jeans)
My style is this. Hope it links. Christine Lagarde.https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/41517627804701064/

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:43:36

That was my thinking too, merlotgran grin