Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All this 'how to be stylish' advice.

(91 Posts)
ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 12:50:23

I do wish the models used in these programmes, articles, blogs on this subject were based more on 'real' people. The lovely tall, slender, examples of old age are nothing like most of us.
Where are the overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked examples that are representative of most of us?
Just a thought.

M0nica Sun 18-Oct-20 18:41:12

LadyHonoria But Mary Beard has style.

Marydoll Sun 18-Oct-20 15:13:20

Lisa ?

Lisagran Sun 18-Oct-20 15:03:19

I like chunky necklaces too - here’s a few of mine smile

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 14:40:29

I'd sell it if it was solid gold, Kalu or put it in a bank vault as an investment!
?

Kalu Sat 17-Oct-20 14:06:47

I prefer No.1 look. Don’t like 2 or 3.
I love chunky acrylic necklaces - vive la difference.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 17-Oct-20 14:01:16

Mary Beard is my hero.

Callistemon Sat 17-Oct-20 13:55:16

Now, if someone gave me that necklace in No. 3 and it was solid gold I wouldn't say no.

Callistemon Sat 17-Oct-20 13:54:22

Does model No. 2 have a nose ring?

I do have similar specs but not a bull ring in my nose.

mumofmadboys Sat 17-Oct-20 13:52:14

Another model 1 fan too. Hate 2 and 3. Really dislike heavy looking jewellery. Didnt used to like Theresa May's necklaces.

TerriBull Sat 17-Oct-20 13:49:36

I like the number 1 model's style very much. Not keen on 2 and 3.

M0nica Sat 17-Oct-20 13:31:26

Style isn't what you wear, but the way that you wear it

M0nica Sat 17-Oct-20 13:30:12

Lisagran. Even my trainers have velcro fastenings!

Lisagran Sat 17-Oct-20 12:58:55

MOnica - you’re right that life is too short to lace up boots. I have a very comfortable pair of boots from Heavenly Feet that have laces - but also zips smile. Your outfit sounds lovely!

twinnytwin Sat 17-Oct-20 12:28:43

Well I love looking at the "How to look stylish" pages online, and stuff on YouTube. I'm 69 and I don't want to look like "mutton dressed as lamb" but by being aware of fashion trends is fun to me. I've loved the trend for flat white leather trainers with dresses over the last couple of years. I live in jeans and tops at home but love to dress up a little, even if just going to the pub. I've sewn all my clothes for the past few years. I've also since lockdown grown out the blonde and am embracing the grey/silver hair. Each to their own.

MerylStreep Sat 17-Oct-20 11:37:36

Oh no. Hotter sandals and purple anorak in the same sentence. Too much ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Oct-20 09:50:38

MissAdventure having met you I totally disagree that you are a horribly shaped person thanks

Lucca Sat 17-Oct-20 09:33:31

Marydoll

Thanks Hetty!
I still none the wiser. grin.

However, I may fulfil the criteria for much of your description above! ?

Me too Marydoll! . I think colour is vital. And earrings, scarves etc. I liked the first two but thought the third was awful.
I know someone who wears lovely clothes in interesting colours and colours her hair to match often in three different shades ! A bit OTT for me (the hair) but I vastly prefer that to to dingy m and s elasticated trousers hotter sandals and a purple regatta anorak ......

M0nica Sat 17-Oct-20 08:29:38

Well, today I am wearing a red corderoy dress like the lady in picture 2. with dark grey tights and a pair of clumpy patent leather brogues. No scarf, I have a short neck and if I wore the scarf, all you would see is a small tuft of hair sticking out at the top grin. Never wear Dr Martins or anything approximating to them. Life is too short to spend hours lacing up boots. My look is considerably less 'biker' than the exemplar.

I also dress like picture 1. As for jeans, I am sorry, Hetty, I am still a size 10/12 and I still have long slim legs, my legs were always one of my finer features, so I still wear skinny of slimfit jeans - and I look at the back and side view!

However, my confidence in how I dress rests with my 13 year old DGD, who considers she has a very stylish grandma.

Spangler Fri 16-Oct-20 21:37:25

fevertree Fri 16-Oct-20 14:28:39
Spangler a local man who lives in my area dresses like you describe and it makes my day when I see him on the high street.
Such a compliment, I am truly flattered.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:52:11
Spangler You remind me of my late husband - well turned out until his death. His signature: red socks, pocket handkerchief and beautiful shoes polished to see yourself. I heard my DD comment "I do wish men today were as well and smartly turned out as my F always was".
Your husband's attire sounds wonderful, he's my kind of fellow. What a compliment to be compared with him, thank you, to both of you.

One of the first threads I read as a contributing member was this one about cycling. The surgeon who performed my hip replacement told me that impact exercise like jogging isn't a good thing for an artificial hip, at least not for a year or two, as that's how long it needs to "bed in." But swimming and cycling are excellent exercises to keep the hip working well.

I read all the posts and thought about contributing but everyone seemed to be of the lycra set. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it's not exactly my style. Not only that my bike goes back to my childhood. As a small boy my feet couldn't reach the pedals, however, my grandmother's old bike didn't have a crossbar and I was able to stand on the pedals without risking crushed nuts syndrome. How I loved riding out on that bike, I'm sure that today's parents would freak out if their kids rode a bike amongst the traffic as I did when I was just a little boy, back then I never gave danger a second thought.

Now that I feel more confident and with such complimentary remarks, I can show my grandmother's bike because I still have it. And as for a cyclist's lycra outfit, I will leave that for those who prefer synthetic to natural fibre. Here's that thread. www.gransnet.com/forums/sport/1280839-Lets-get-cycling

Lisagran Fri 16-Oct-20 21:25:32

I bet you’re not!

MissAdventure Fri 16-Oct-20 21:16:23

I don't mind any of them, but they would all look horrible on me, because I'm a horrible shaped person.

GagaJo Fri 16-Oct-20 21:14:03

I only like 1. 2 & 3 are quite 'old lady trying to be trendy'.

Lisagran Fri 16-Oct-20 21:07:33

MissAdventure grin - yes, mine too, some days! But other days, I enjoy playing around with clothes.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Oct-20 20:55:43

My idea of dressing smartly is to put a clean jumper on.

Hetty58 Fri 16-Oct-20 20:24:55

Lisagran, 'having to dress quite smartly' doesn't necessarily apply to 'the professional job'.

When I was teaching and lecturing, I wore whatever I fancied (within reason).

Those higher up the scale, professors, deans etc. had no obligation to dress in a particular way - as their qualifications and reputations spoke for themselves.