Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Is longer hair on a 69 year old ok?

(132 Posts)
Itsnell Wed 18-Nov-20 16:41:00

Hi, my hair is thick, wavy, curly and a darkish grey many years ago I was dark brown. I’m thinking of growing it to about chin length longish layers and wonder what people on here think about this for a hairstyle for a lively 69 year old.

I’ve a short messy style which I don’t like and looking at photos of me, I’ve had it short for a while and it never looks good - it sticks up and out and I can’t seem to style it. I don’t know why I ever went for a short style in the first place.

If I look at photos of me when I was in my 40s and 50s it’s was longer and layered and seemed to suit me better.

Basically I don’t know why I’ve ended up with short hair when it doesn’t suit me so I thought I’d ignore hairdressers for a while and grow it outta about chin length. My worry is looking a bit like mutton ...

AGAA4 Wed 18-Nov-20 16:48:52

You should wear your hair however you want Istnell. I know quite a few older women with longer hair and they look good.

DanniRae Wed 18-Nov-20 16:50:23

Oh my goodness chin length hair isn't l-o-n-g and 69 isn't old!
I am 72 and my hair is much longer that chin length - actually it needs cuttting but when I do have it done - with layers - it will still be quite long.
Good Luck smile

crazyH Wed 18-Nov-20 16:51:19

Your hair sounds just super, and would be the envy of many a woman. Why don't you grow it, with longish layers, and colour it soft dark brown.. You will look lovely. Don't grow old before your time - good luck !!

MrsThreadgoode Wed 18-Nov-20 16:52:34

Mine is very long, I wear it up most days in a messy bun, or sometimes just a mess!

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Nov-20 16:55:06

It will look wonderful, even more so because you feel happier with it.

Buffybee Wed 18-Nov-20 17:20:57

Your style and length of hair is entirely up to you and what suits you Itsnell.
I don't hold with the rule that women must have a short hair style after a certain age, for fear of being thought of as mutton, a most derogatory and outdated term anyway, in my opinion.

Itsnell Wed 18-Nov-20 17:23:36

Thank you - that’s a 100% positive response, so far! . I think I’ve just got into a rut and it’s only by looking at photos of myself I realised that short hair doesn’t suit me or my personality so I thought to myself why am I getting it cut short? Age? current trends? . I think you can get caught in a cycle of going to hairdressers and feeling obliged to keep going back every 8 weeks or so.

I think this lockdown is helping reset myself

Pittcity Wed 18-Nov-20 17:25:30

Go for whatever makes you happy.

Kalu Wed 18-Nov-20 17:29:30

Hi Itsnell whatever hairstyle you chose should be one you are happy with, not something you think others would approve of. You will never win. ?

I turned 70 at the beginning of the year, it’s only a number and only defines me chronologically.
I have shoulder length, all one length hair which gives me two hairstyle options. One is a messy bun, worn a lot during this particular year and when I can be bothered, I can style my hair into a smooth bob with a Big Hair rotating hot brush which quite surprised me as I can do a professional looking blow dry at home now.

Have a look at various hairstyles on Pintrest to give you some ideas.

ginny Wed 18-Nov-20 17:38:17

Wear your hair just how you want.

Tricia247uk Wed 18-Nov-20 17:41:27

Go for it! I'm sure it'll look lovely and you'll feel happier smile

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 17:41:52

Age is totally irrelevant. Wear your hair anyway you like, Dye it pink with green spots, if that is what you fancy.

petra Wed 18-Nov-20 17:47:36

When you said long I thought you were going to say somewhere about waist level.

FarNorth Wed 18-Nov-20 17:48:57

itsnell If you like the look of it, then do it.
I'm a similar age to you and I've had very short hair for many years. I think it did suit me, but now that it's grown a bit in lockdown I'm liking it and going to have it longer.
Choose what you think suits your face shape and go for it!

Daddima Wed 18-Nov-20 17:51:09

Strangely enough, I had this conversation with my granddaughters ( 14 and 16) the other day. My hair has grown ( after a period of steroid induced non growth) so I said I fancied longer ( just past shoulders) hair for a change, and asked what they thought. Both said I should do whatever I wanted, and didn’t at all think that ‘older’ ladies should have short hair.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 17:55:31

I think the days are long gone when older women were expected to have short hair.
If they're not long gone, they should be.

smile

Itsnell Wed 18-Nov-20 18:13:04

Thanks for all your replies it’s helping me think straight and stop worrying about silly things like what people might think.

So this is me with short hair and as you see, I’ve a longish face shape and am lucky to have defined cheekbones under the fat

MellowYellow Wed 18-Nov-20 18:29:16

I grew mine Itsnell, from a very short cut to shoulder length. I'm 67 and my hair is thick and wiry. I couldn't have done it without my hairdresser. Every time I got fed up with it she helped me style it to look nice. It's taken 18 months but I'm really pleased with the results. When it got to shoulder length I decided it was too long and it's now just below my chin. I can wear it loose or pin it up, and it feels lovely. Have fun doing it and grit your teeth through the times that make you want to get it cut again because you will go through that!!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 18:34:27

Itsnell, you have lovely hair!
It looks as if it would be soft and wavy, and very flattering if it grew longer.

Nortsat Wed 18-Nov-20 18:42:18

Itsnell, I agree with MissA your hair is lovely.
I am sure it would look lovely if it were longer too.

Mine touches my shoulders and I don’t like it to go much further than that, but that’s my individual choice.

Itsnell Wed 18-Nov-20 18:44:50

Thank you, MisAdventure
Thank you MellowYellow. I wonder should I get regular trims at the hairdressers while I’m growing it or just plough on letting it grow?

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 18:45:36

I really wish I had hair like that.
I'd have scarves, and slides and bandanas and all sorts!
The possibilities are endless.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 18:50:34

I have hopelessly fine and flyaway hair, but............it is dark brown with no grey!!!

I used to have it short about 50 years ago and it cost-a-load to get it cut so that it did not just glue itself to my head with the static. Now it is long - but I took 6" off it myself a few weeks ago, although it is still long. If anyone has long hair and wants to chop a few inches off but get it even, then try YouTube - it tells you how to do it. It is very easy.

I have just chopped lots off my fringe - probably too much - but I truly do not care any more! I just want to be able to see where I am going easily!

As I get older I seem to please myself much more when it comes to how I look.

Itsnell Wed 18-Nov-20 18:52:45

MissAdventure

I really wish I had hair like that.
I'd have scarves, and slides and bandanas and all sorts!
The possibilities are endless.

Thanks again. The popular view is that short hair is easy to manage but in my experience that’s not the case.

Thank you Nortsat ?