Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Red hair on older ladies

(41 Posts)
AntheaAKAMrsMad Mon 25-Jan-21 13:50:10

Hello!
I’m 67 and have always dyed my hair red, or reddish blonde.(Excellence) Recently I’ve gone very blonde but with pale skin I look washed out and OLD.
Not for me.
Has anyone got any ideas please? I don’t want to be dull!
So many people say red doesn’t suit older ladies but I love it.
Do you have pix of your hair? smile
Before and after recent pix.

Lucca Mon 25-Jan-21 13:52:48

Should you be posting a photo of yourself ?

Tea3 Mon 25-Jan-21 13:53:57

I’m naturally washed out looking but your reddish blonde pictures make think I ought to give that a go.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 14:01:24

I'm 65 and am still have my naturally red hair. Of course it looks good! ?
However, you probably won't find many posting photos.

lemongrove Mon 25-Jan-21 14:01:24

The sandy blonde does suit your skin better so why not stick with the red blonde colour you were using? Buy some and just put it on the blonde.
I think the colour is lovely.

Grandmafrench Mon 25-Jan-21 14:23:29

Certainly not dull! Won't post pics of me or my hair but can see that without your photos, we could hardly have passed comment on which colour seems to suit you best!

The coppery blonde/strawberry blonde colour is blindingly obvious as the better choice. The paler blonde is dull and does make you look older and washed out, you're right in thinking that. I'd stick with the other colour which is lovely on you.

As you have asked for ideas and you've enclosed photos, I shall risk your annoyance by saying never use blue or greenish blue around your eyes. A really dated, hard and ageing look - unless you are about 17 and funky! Use instead some smudged and subtle pale taupe, beige, grey, coppery browns, aubergine, anything soft and natural. Use a good lengthening mascara - brown or brownish black, Don't close off your eye by pencilling in the bottom line - even the Duchess of Cambridge has given up that look!. It just looks a bit slapdash, makes the eye look smaller and again, is ageing. You want to achieve an open eyed look as much as possible.

You're brave to post photos of yourself - hope you're not offended!

Grandma70s Mon 25-Jan-21 14:28:43

Does anyone except me just have their natural colour? In my view it always looks best.

Peasblossom Mon 25-Jan-21 14:30:43

Well, before lockdown I had bright pink and orange streaks put in mine?

Definitely un-ageing!

(I tried midnight blue and purple before that but that was ??)

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Jan-21 15:29:39

I think the pictures tell their own story, you’re smiling in the reddish one, definitely not in the blondy one.

M0nica Mon 25-Jan-21 15:31:20

I saw a wonderful portrait of the irish writer, Edna O'Brien taken on her 80th birthday, with a head of flame red hair. She looked fantastic.

I cut the picture out and when I finally have grey/white hair I will hve mine dyed the same colour.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jan-21 16:02:22

I think the strawberry blonde colour really suits you Anthea.
I don’t imagine you’ll garner much in the way of photos as most of us like to keep our anonymity!
?
Photos of pets, cakes, flowers, scenery - yep.
Ourselves - hardly ever.

sf101 Mon 25-Jan-21 16:12:29

As a natural red head I hope it looks good on us oldies. Mine is turning white at the edges and when I look too washed out I'll use a Golden Blonde on it and I get a lovely strawberry blond which starts to look two tone when the white creeps in again, I love the effect and I don't feel old enough to go all white yet.

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Jan-21 16:17:51

It looks lovely Anthea, but I would not call it red by any stretch!

EllanVannin Mon 25-Jan-21 16:25:18

I still have a lot of my own hair colour and if I had a proper style/ cut it would show up even more.
It's just the front that's a " sun-bleached " looking colour rather than grey or white.

Buffybee Mon 25-Jan-21 16:30:36

I prefer the reddish blonde, it suits your skin tone much better than the pale blond colour.
I agree with Grandmafrench 're the blue eyeliner and the dark colour in the bottom eye lid. It's not a very flattering look on you.
You could get away with a paleish grey smudged close to the top lashes. I sometimes do this, for a day look, if I don't want to look too done up with mascara.
I would also recommend lip liner if you want the appearance of plumper lips. I use a colour near to my own lips and draw just over my natural edge and then pat lip colour on, as this gives a softer look.
After saying all that, you look great for your age.

harrysgran Mon 25-Jan-21 16:38:42

The reddish blonde looks nice however I think a block colour needs breaking up a bit with a few highlights and lowlights to give a more natural look

emmasnan Mon 25-Jan-21 16:59:10

My natural colour was a ginger and I colour it a ginger/red now.
I'm nearly 65 but have had lots of compliments on the colour.

MiniMoon Mon 25-Jan-21 17:15:13

My sister is 65. She had a dark shade of ginger hair when she was younger. It is almost white now, and looks really good.
Why bother colouring it? Go natural.

cornishpatsy Mon 25-Jan-21 18:07:49

Foils in a reddish brown or copper would look good especially with more at the front. Something like this but more reddish.

trisher Mon 25-Jan-21 18:14:44

I've always been blonde but in my 60s when many of my dark haired friends were suddenly blondes I thought it wasn't fair and I deserved a change as well, so I went red. Everyone said they liked it, but when I decided a few years later it was too much effort and blonde was easier so I went back to it, a lot of people immediately said "That really suits you" (from which gathered the red didn't). That period is now known by my GCs as "The time when Granny had red hair, " said with a little shake of the head!

Dinahmo Mon 25-Jan-21 19:00:03

I'm a natural red head - of the ginger variety. When it started to fade when I was in my 40s I had very expensive highlights which made it look excellent but not that it had been coloured. When I moved to the country and was in the sun more they faded quite quickly and so I had henna, which was very bright (early 50s) Eventually I decided that the henna was too bright for my skin and had to have dye until the hennaed hair grew out. Then I went to my natural colour in my mid sixties. It now looks strawberry blonde most of the time, especially in the summer.

I think the reddish blonde colour suits the P much better.

As I fade I don't grey hair but white at my temples which I don't mind at all. I think dark colours (unless natural) aren't so good on older skins, they can be rather harsh.

Whenever I see young people with natural red hair it always look lovely. It's such a pity that redhead children get abuse.

Dinahmo Mon 25-Jan-21 19:02:41

sf101

As a natural red head I hope it looks good on us oldies. Mine is turning white at the edges and when I look too washed out I'll use a Golden Blonde on it and I get a lovely strawberry blond which starts to look two tone when the white creeps in again, I love the effect and I don't feel old enough to go all white yet.

You probably won't look washed out as I guess you've got pale skin.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 19:38:02

Here is my hair, 65 and never been dyed. I look as if I have spent a fortune on highlights, when it is properly blow dried.

Buffybee Mon 25-Jan-21 20:21:59

That's amazing *Marydoll", it really looks as if it's been highlighted.
I'm naturally dark haired and unbelievably still have quite dark hair, if I let it make an appearance but I've had blonde highlighted hair for the last 30 odd years. Hate to think how much it's cost me in that time.

GagaJo Mon 25-Jan-21 20:28:04

I had mine dyed fire engine red last year. I couldn't decide if I lived it or hated it.

I've been various shades of red for half my life.