Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Self Tan

(43 Posts)
NanKate Mon 07-Jun-21 14:55:45

I want to make my pale legs look better. Any recommendations for self-tanning that doesn’t smell awful or go streaky ? ?

NanKate Tue 15-Jun-21 07:24:10

Esspee I wear trousers year round so even though I walk everyday my legs don’t get the benefit of the sun. However when the weather warms up I wear knee length shorts/trousers, can’t remember what you call them, hence my white legs.

I agree it is important to get a daily dose of Vit D.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 07:56:19

Esspee oh if only it were that simple!
Many of us pale and interesting types really struggle to get a even a hint of colour, especially on our legs.
After three weeks in Goa, I looked like I'd enjoyed a pleasant long weekend in Somerset. ⛅

Polarbear2 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:03:08

Esspee - the struggle is real ✊?

Lilypops Tue 15-Jun-21 08:15:24

Elizabeth 180. I am another fan of Palmers cocoa butter self tan. I manage to put this on my legs and arms without it streaking , and it smells nice too,

spyvolg Thu 04-Aug-22 20:15:02

Here is an article for you to choose skinny-tan products - georgiaphelpsbeautyblog.com/2020/05/01/skinny-tan-wonder-serum-express-first-impressions/

AuntieEleanorsCat Sun 07-Aug-22 09:01:02

I’ve bought a few this summer which are quite expensive and claim not to have “the smell”. Initially, there fresh and pleasant (Isle of Paradise especially) but within an hour or so, that self tan smell creeps up and by the end of the day, I can’t wait to shower.

Is it just my body chemistry? I’ve used these tans for donkeys years but recently they’re just turn awful. In covid, there was a shortage of “the ingredient” for self tabs so I’m wondering whether something else was used/developed to replace it which smells worse. It’s getting too expensive to keep trying.

Serendipity22 Sun 07-Aug-22 09:06:19

I use Dove, its fantastic, as for the smell, well I suppose it does a bit yes but its not overpowering...

A bit of a tan makes us ( or should I say "me") feel good.

smilesmile

AuntieEleanorsCat Sun 07-Aug-22 09:57:55

Serendipity… is it one of these?

Serendipity22 Mon 08-Aug-22 08:28:10

Yes its this 1.
Its brilliant, well maybe the word ' brilliant' is a bit OTT but it does the job infact this thread spurred me on to get some on my legs again haaaa.
smile

AuntieEleanorsCat Mon 15-Aug-22 22:41:26

Have bought some today. Will try it tomorrow and come back on the Dove ?

Cally555 Mon 15-Aug-22 22:45:22

I use dove as well. It's good and hardly any smell

Serendipity22 Tue 16-Aug-22 22:36:18

AuntieEleanorsCat

Have bought some today. Will try it tomorrow and come back on the Dove ?

Ohhhh good. Well i can only say that it suits me just great. I have used it a few years now.

You'll look like you been to the Caribbean.... oh la la. smile

AuntieEleanorsCat Wed 17-Aug-22 15:58:24

Have tried this now. The first time, I think I put too much on as I felt too slippery and the tan smell started to come through. Today, I’ve used a light coat! ? Dried quickly and the aroma is barely noticeable ?

I have to remember not to slap it on too liberally as it’s meant as “gradual” ie. to be used daily (as a moisturiser).

So far, nice subtle shade and very tolerable (but it IS there) fake tan smell.

Serendipity22 Wed 17-Aug-22 18:04:14

AuntieEleanorsCat

Have tried this now. The first time, I think I put too much on as I felt too slippery and the tan smell started to come through. Today, I’ve used a light coat! ? Dried quickly and the aroma is barely noticeable ?

I have to remember not to slap it on too liberally as it’s meant as “gradual” ie. to be used daily (as a moisturiser).

So far, nice subtle shade and very tolerable (but it IS there) fake tan smell.

Excellent ....

I use nothing but..
So you look like you're half way to the Caribbean???? Haha.

Brilliant. A bit of a tan makes you feel so much better... be it natural or out of a bottle, who cares.

sunshinesunshinesunshinesunshine

Granmarderby10 Wed 17-Aug-22 18:30:47

Never had a proper tan in my life, (apart from the serious sunburn the whole family got from on a glass bottom boat trip in Ibiza circa1973)- only 3D effect freckles on my face.
I would love it if I could get even a little bit of colour to my legs but some peoples bodies just do not produce enough melanin.
I wonder if I could just get the freckles joined up?

Ibb10 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:13:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Juliet27 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:22:36

Reported