Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do/would you wear second hand clothes?

(131 Posts)
readsalot Thu 01-Jul-21 12:53:45

I have lost two stone and gone down two dress sizes. I donated a lot of clothes to a couple of charity shops, but also had a look to see what they had on the rails. Not much in my size and nothing I liked. No luck in other nearby charity shops either, so I had a look on eBay. I have bought 12 items, averaging £10 each and have been really pleased at the quality. I love my clothes and usually wear them out, but the clothes I bought were all in nearly new condition. DH was horrified at first, but came round when I reminded him that I used to hire ballgowns and other formal outfits years ago and if I wasn't bothered, why was he? Does anyone else buy and wear pre-owned? I will definitely continue this way of shopping.

Soozikinzi Thu 01-Jul-21 12:55:44

Yes I get most of my stuff from EBay . Loads of it is hardly worn . I do like Roman online clothes which I find good quality as well . But otherwise it’s EBay!

Lucca Thu 01-Jul-21 12:58:01

Yes it recently but in the past have bought lots in charity shops
Only if it is a decent brand though. I just think of it as recycling

Shinamae Thu 01-Jul-21 12:58:23

I have a friend (really!) Who buys everything except underwear from charity shops, even shoes and she always looks immaculate, dresses a lot better than I do to be fair…?

Calendargirl Thu 01-Jul-21 12:58:37

I confess I have never bought pre-owned clothes, but I don’t buy many clothes, full stop.

I donate clothes to charity, always make sure they are washed and ironed first, and would not send anything that I wouldn’t think was in a good enough condition to re-sell.

If I were to buy any, I would feel I had to wash them before use, to make them ‘mine’.

MerylStreep Thu 01-Jul-21 12:59:13

Yes, for the past 40+ years. And, I volunteer in a charity shop where I’m the head ( only) ? sorter.
I have to control myself.

Sunnyoutlook Thu 01-Jul-21 13:00:29

Absolutely yes. Charity shops, eBay and Vinted.

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 13:05:55

I don’t personally, since I never see anything I really like around here (one recent exception was a pair of shoes that looked brand new from a big Oxfam shop near dd), but dd buys nearly all hers from local charity shops - they must be better than ours! New looking dresses, sometimes even with the labels still attached, for £10-12, when they’d have cost a lot more new.
She even found her Reg Office wedding dress in a charity shop, having trawled ‘new’ shops in vain for anything to fit her hour-glass figure that was even bigger on top, since she was feeding a young baby. The dress was truly beautiful.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Jul-21 13:10:00

I have done in the past, clothes and shoes. I also bough my RO wedding dress in Oxfam, a Monsoon one for £20. And rented a hat a few years ago when I went to Henley Regatta…get me!

Philippa111 Thu 01-Jul-21 13:24:51

Yes, I love things from Ebay and charity shops. Many of them are new or hardly worn. Many good aspects to it... eliminating climate change, supporting either a charity or an individual ( as opposed to a huge company). Stopping slave labour half way across the world and all the resources that are involved with making the new items. Also they don't use fuel to be flown across the globe. I wear designer labels for next to nothing! (Underwear and bottom halves are from M&S) Whats not to like? Just give them a really good wash and hang out in the fresh air and sun!

Ro60 Thu 01-Jul-21 13:33:52

A great way to ensure I'm not a clone on the high street - especially with so many brands disappearing.
Some of the slightly older clothes seem better made than they are now - compared to say, 5 years ago.

I like the fact that I'm recycling.

I too have a friend who buys all her clothes (bar underwear) in charity shops and always looks well turned out.

MiniMoon Thu 01-Jul-21 13:41:23

Absolutely, I buy from eBay but try to find clothes which are new with labels. My DD's wardrobe consists almost exclusively of items bought from eBay.

muse Thu 01-Jul-21 13:56:49

Lots. I buy off eBay and a Facebook page.
Being 6’1” off the peg clothes are no use except for the odd sleeveless T shirt and L leggings from M+S.

I sell a lot too. Tall / long ranges are sought after, in particular Long Tall Sally.

MrM ‘s eclectic wardrobe is 99% second/third hand clothing. I started a thread about his wardrobe months ago. Brilliant fun reading what DH husbands wear. ?

muse Thu 01-Jul-21 13:59:02

should read
Brilliant fun reading what GN husbands wear. ?

Esspee Thu 01-Jul-21 14:35:22

I buy from charity shops. I am very selective and love pure silk and cashmere items. I have some lovely leather bags and have even bought new shoes. A lot of the things I buy are brand new but everything is washed regardless.

Blossoming Thu 01-Jul-21 14:39:10

No, I never find anything I like.

M0nica Thu 01-Jul-21 14:44:29

Gosh, yes, I have been doing it all my life. My mother dressed me in handmedowns from friends and family. In my teens she bought me clothes from the Thrift Shop on every army base. She also sold through them as well.

I bought a lovely hand made blouse in a charity shop yesterday. I was wearing a jacket I had bought previously in another charity shop.

My best summer, formal occasions like weddings, dress is a beautiful vintage 1960s Jaeger dress I bought in Oxfam. My Jacques Vert winter coat was bought on ebay.

Chewbacca Thu 01-Jul-21 15:04:12

Absolutely I do. I'm lucky enough to live very close to the area where a lot of footballers and z list slebs live and you wouldn't believe what they cast out to charity shops! The majority of my office work wear came from those shops and I rarely paid more than £7 or £8 for anything. Pity so many of the donations were from thinner women than me though.

Liz46 Thu 01-Jul-21 15:09:29

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and did buy a few items then. The rule was that the items had to have been out in the shop for 24 hours before a volunteer could buy them but then we got a 20% discount.

Deedaa Thu 01-Jul-21 15:18:38

We've got a charity shop near us that has some lovely clothes, Per Una, White Stuff, Fat Face and Monsoon. I recently found a great Guess handbag for £25 - absolute steal. I also get a lot on ebay. Recently bought a lovely tropical print Joe Brown's maxi dress and a new Joe Brown's floaty top with all its tags.

Kestrel Thu 01-Jul-21 15:26:53

Yes - especially as charity shops and bootsales etc are the only place to find BhS clothes these days. Lots of good brands - all items in my fave charity shop £1.99 each (or 99p when they have a sale grin)

beth20 Thu 01-Jul-21 15:34:27

Certainly do - mostly from charity shops though, as others have said, am selective and need to wash things before wearing them. My mum and dad used to run the church jumble sales (what happened to them?) when I was small so got the reusing bug at a young age. Love a bargain!

TerriBull Thu 01-Jul-21 16:18:15

When I was a child, junior school age, every so often these wonderful clothes would turn up courtesy of a woman my grandmother knew from arranging the flowers together in their local church. Of course, like many I didn't have many clothes then, occasional new ones from M&S. I was delighted to receive these clothes, I believe they were quite expensive, I was sometimes asked by friends where I got them from. I just said "my grandmother". I only wished the girl whose clothes they were would grow quicker so I could have them more often. Eventually these offerings dwindled until I didn't get them anymore sad but I think I was a teenager by then and had a Saturday job and more money to spend on fripperies,.

grandMattie Thu 01-Jul-21 16:20:45

I do and would if I found nice things.
What I wouldn't do, is wear second hand shoes!

AGAA4 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:44:26

My 16 year old GD and her friends buy their clothes from charity shops. She recently bought a very smart silk top very cheaply but looks expensive.
I think this is a good idea as it is recycling and not buying cheap new clothes that end up in the bin after a few washes.