Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Magnifying Mirror Shock!

(26 Posts)
StephLP Mon 25-Oct-21 12:01:22

Please can you let me know the best magnifying mirror to buy? I thought my very cheap reasonably priced mirror was just fine. Then, last week, we rented a holiday apartment and when I looked into their magnifying mirror to check my make-up a hairy faced person was staring back at me!! Eyebrows growing where I didn't know they could/nose hair (didn't even realise women got these long hairs!)/and as for my whiskery chin shock. Asked why my husband hadn't told me and he said he never really looked at my face!!!

silverlining48 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:07:22

Oooo magnifying mirrors! I feel your pain. They range by the amount of magnification. I have one 5 x which is bad enough, especially in the sunshine, and a 10 x has to be twice as bad.
I rely on the fact that my friends’ eyes are as bad as mine, but try to check once a week as these things grow like Topsy.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 12:07:41

grin
I wouldn't know about a magnifying mirror.
The thought of gazing into one gives me the Heebie Jeebies!

silverlining48 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:10:44

Definitely keep away from a sunny window MissA , it’s a terrible shock. shock

shysal Mon 25-Oct-21 12:11:55

I have this one, but there are lots to choose from on Ebay. I find I need at least x10 magnification to see all my bristles, and I use an extra lamp - scary!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313497704139?hash=item48fdeb56cb:g:h7gAAOSwHGphYlLQ

Lexisgranny Mon 25-Oct-21 12:14:57

Nowadays I look into a mirror first thing in the morning and then studiously avoid them for the rest of the day. Out and about, the worst are definitely the mirrors totally covering long walls by escalators in shops.

Redhead56 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:15:54

Same problem here total horror looking in magnifying mirror. It’s the first thing I notice when talking to anyone their whiskers!

Shelflife Mon 25-Oct-21 12:16:40

Best not to have one !

PollyTickle Mon 25-Oct-21 12:21:06

Why are those chin hairs always an inch long when I spot them. They weren’t there yesterday.

sodapop Mon 25-Oct-21 13:10:21

That's right Pollytickle they just appear fully developedgrin
Avoid the magnifying mirror it's too scary.

Pittcity Mon 25-Oct-21 13:17:42

[[ amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GH5VMBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1]] We have a 10x one from Amazon]] which can light up too. It can be stuck to any surface and swivelled. Excellent for plucking but quite scary.

Pittcity Mon 25-Oct-21 13:22:27

Oh for an edit button as the link doesn't work. Pressed post instead of preview.
It's a Fancii 10x Magnifying Lighted Makeup Mirror - Daylight LED

Calmlocket Mon 25-Oct-21 13:22:53

I bought this one 4 yrs ago, its great.

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/w7-tweak-it-magnifying-mirror-and-tweezer-set-0100761.html

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 13:30:19

Why would you NOT want a good magnifying mirror? Just because you can't see your face, well the grandchildren with their beady eyes will spot unwanted hair, whether nose, upper lip or chin. I'd rather they saw me without a beard and moustache. Get the best one you can find and you won't be worrying next time they stare at your face.

AGAA4 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:36:22

I use my magnifying mirror every morning in strong light. Very unpleasant but has to be done.
Why is it that the hair on my head is going thin, white and wispy but my chin hair is dark and robust?

Nightsky2 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:55:47

Lexisgranny

Nowadays I look into a mirror first thing in the morning and then studiously avoid them for the rest of the day. Out and about, the worst are definitely the mirrors totally covering long walls by escalators in shops.

Yes Lexigrnny, and when you suddenly catch sight of yourself in a shop window? ??. Such a shock that you look so much like your mother.

I have used a magnifying mirror every morning for as long as I can remember, a double sided one and I think I got it from Boots. Can’t you just go into a shop and have a look or you could try Amazon.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 14:05:28

I don't care if my grandsons see my hairy old face.
Their other nan has the looks, I have the brains (well, slightly more than her) smile

Smileless2012 Mon 25-Oct-21 14:14:18

I've just read your OP Steph and spat out my tea.

Well one thing's for certain having read this thread, I wont be getting a magnifying mirror any time soon, if ever.

Namsnanny Mon 25-Oct-21 14:19:28

AGAA4

I use my magnifying mirror every morning in strong light. Very unpleasant but has to be done.
Why is it that the hair on my head is going thin, white and wispy but my chin hair is dark and robust?

Billy Connally asked the same question of nose hair, with hilarious resultsgrin

Namsnanny Mon 25-Oct-21 14:21:24

My husbands would have said the same thing Steph ????

StephLP Mon 25-Oct-21 14:50:26

PollyTickle

Why are those chin hairs always an inch long when I spot them. They weren’t there yesterday.

PollyTickle - I know! How do they grow so fast?

Maggiemaybe Mon 25-Oct-21 15:41:52

Magnifying or not, just don’t make the mistake I did of putting the mirror flat and leaning over it. I’m still recovering from the shock and that must have been 15 years ago.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 25-Oct-21 16:27:59

It’s not just magnifying mirrors ?

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 17:43:43

Maggiemaybe

Magnifying or not, just don’t make the mistake I did of putting the mirror flat and leaning over it. I’m still recovering from the shock and that must have been 15 years ago.

I think I remember Hughe Grant talking about that.
He said he looked up from washing his face in the sink, but only his eyes had lifted. grin

DanniRae Tue 26-Oct-21 08:07:51

I have a 10 x magnifying mirror - its brutal but if the whiskers are there I want to remove them! shock