Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you ever pay the full price?

(31 Posts)
MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 12:27:59

I have just cheered up a dreich depressing January day with two sale purchases.
I saved £25 on one and £30 on the other.
Win-win.
But when I looked at the tags I thought no way would I have paid the price shown, so I have come to the conclusion that

either the manufacturers/retailers are desperate to clear their stocks , or the mark up on the original price was ridiculous.
Or of course, both.
Assuming I am “spared” I will have these for next winter, that is unless I have worn them to death during this Winter which seems to be going on for ever.
My cynical self suspects that the retailers know this and the “true” price is rather closer to what I felt was a bargain!

Kim19 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:49:53

Totally agree with you. Think the original prices involve kidology. Well done on your keen she for a bargain. I'm trying hard not to buy anything. It's my constant whim to indulge fancy over need. Succeeding so far but it's a constant struggle. I'm not expecting Winter to end any time soon but encouraged to see slightly lighter evenings are arriving.

MayBee70 Fri 21-Jan-22 12:53:43

DH used to work in sales. He would often haggle over a price, even in shops like John Lewis and would get a discount. I never realised you could do that!

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 12:54:02

They do have a lot of stock to clear.
I find that if I leave an article in my basket I get an email from the company reducing the price.

Pittcity Fri 21-Jan-22 12:56:55

They're lovely Maw....off to look at Joules sale!!!

I only ever pay full price in places like Primark.

I love Seasalt jeans but will only buy in sale or from eBay. They are no better quality than ones from elsewhere at half the price, but they do fit me better.

Somebody must be paying full price.

TerriBull Fri 21-Jan-22 12:57:54

No, I hardly ever pay the full price if the item is something I don't need right now. There are wall to wall sales with some outlets, Crew Clothing for example, often email me with such and such an offer will be ending say Friday, knowing full well some other discount will be starting up almost immediately. I have bought a few things from them with the discount tag at least 25% knowing full well I'd never pay the full price, because it simply isn't worth it. Just one example, but many others my recent purchase of winter ankle boots from Clarks came with a good reduction, I think 25%. Also bought some nice wedge type sandals from Fit Flop for the summer 50% below the normal retail price. I'm happy to buy a season ahead if the price is right, and, if they are what I'm looking for.

Yes I agree the true price is closer to what we are prepared to pay on a price reduction basis. Maybe this is more pertinent to our age demographic.

J52 Fri 21-Jan-22 13:00:46

I have recently got a couple of bargains in Joules. One was £100 off a coat, which I did need and have worn every day. I tried it on at full price and prevaricated, I’m glad I did!

Boz Fri 21-Jan-22 13:01:35

If you have 100 garments to sell and you get your profit on, say, 60. you can then reduce the price.
Always good to wait if not totally obsessed with a garment that you NEED NOW.

Lucca Fri 21-Jan-22 13:08:15

It’s not dreich up here in Yorkshire ! Blue sky and sunshine

BlueBelle Fri 21-Jan-22 13:12:34

Feeling oklucca
I never pay full price as I ma charity shop lass got a WhiteStuff jumper for £2.50 yesterday can’t be bad

Blondiescot Fri 21-Jan-22 13:14:39

MayBee70

DH used to work in sales. He would often haggle over a price, even in shops like John Lewis and would get a discount. I never realised you could do that!

My OH is the same - he loves to haggle, whatever it is he's buying. I just leave him to get on with it now.

M0nica Fri 21-Jan-22 13:47:17

The reduced price is offered in the knowledge that strategic placing of such offers often leads to the target buying full price clothes as well. or even just looking at the site, even if the loss leader doesn't interest them.

It is no use saying you never do that, you probably do not, but an awful lot of people do, so that it pays for these company to use what are for them, potentially loss leaders.

These companies are not stupid, quite the opposite, they no exactly how to reel people into the site aand how many will buy other clothes as well.

Curlywhirly Fri 21-Jan-22 13:58:18

I nearly always buy things in the sale - an upbringing where money was tight has had a big effect on my purchases (even though (fortunately) we are now comfortably off and I could afford to buy full-price items, I just find it difficult).
A bit off topic - yesterday I had a drive out to a lovely nearby rather upmarket town where they have a clothes agency (selling pre-loved clothes and accessories). There were rails and rails of very expensive designer clothes (Dior, Chanel, Givenchy, very high end labels). Even though second-hand they were still extremely expensive. I just though how sad it was that people who initially bought these things, would spend so much on new clothes - thousands for a coat or a handbag, hundreds of pounds for a pair of shoes etc. I know the quality is good (beautiful material and well-made) but so are labels such as L K Bennett, Maxmara etc - not cheap, but more reasonably priced. I suppose though, at least they were selling the things on, and not just discarding them.

Kate1949 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:22:34

Those are lovely Maw . I've just had a look and ordered a ittle simmer dress and a scarf. The dress was only £8.95! There as also a code for 10% off. Brilliant.

MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 14:31:01

I’m wearing the red/pink leopard one right now and it has cheered me up no end! (Warm too because even although the sun has come out now, it is freezing. )
If anybody else is interested interested in the Joules sale (other labels are available) there’s an extra 10% off sale prices and free delivery.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:33:41

You can pop into the original Joule's shop if and when in MH (for a meet-up). Her dad had a brick-a-brack with a café at the back- we used to go for Sunday lunch with music often- do miss it. She opened her first shop at the front- and the rest is history. She has done well.

MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 17:06:45

Not quite the version publicise by the firm Kali2

The Joules story began in 1989 when Tom Joule started selling clothing on a stand at a country show in Leicestershire.
Tom knew his customers very well (a lot of them by name) and could see that the clothing they were wearing was very practical but lacked an edge. There was a huge difference between functional, built-to-last clothing and the bright and colourful styles that could be seen in towns and cities, there was nothing for people who wanted a balance of style and practicality.
Tom and his small team were living the life his customers were leading, so they were constantly overflowing with ideas and inspiration. They set about reinventing traditional British clothing by adding twists to classic pieces. Many of Joules’ garments had an element of surprise – a purposefully mismatched button, a contrast colour hiding underneath a collar or even a printed lining
Etc, etc .

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 21-Jan-22 17:50:29

I very rarely buy clothes as I don’t go anywhere special very much nowadays and wear everyday things until they’re beyond giving to the charity shop. But experience has taught me that if I want something, if I hang around it will sell out in my size.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 18:00:43

If you go to MH, and around the back of Joules, the yard is still there. The bric-a-brac antiques business was another side line. Sunday Lunches with live music were legendary. It was called Joules Yard.

Deedaa Fri 21-Jan-22 18:02:14

I recently bought rather a nice dress in M&S priced at £25 in the sale. When I took it to the checkout it turned out that it was now reduced to £19.50. With my retired colleagues discount it came down to £14.50. The original price was £51 which I would never pay for a dress that I might only wear 2 or 3 times a year. Some years ago I remember Mary Portas saying that even when you get down to the final reductions the shop is still making a profit.

kittylester Fri 21-Jan-22 18:06:13

If there is something I particularly like, I will buy it while it is there in my size. But, if I see something I like in the sale then I will buy it as it is,obviously, a bargain. Dh calls it my Mrs Gambol mode.

And of course any tops in Sainsbury's are brilliant value for money.

Josieann Fri 21-Jan-22 18:10:25

Cath Kidston is one I always wait for the sales, because it is over priced despite the quality and interesting fabrics.
I think that company started selling stuff from car boots in a shop in Covent Garden, or maybe Notting Hill.

Fernbergien Sun 23-Jan-22 14:27:53

Reference Joules. Obviously look at SALE but also look at CLEARANCE. Many a bargain there. Hardly ever pay full price.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Jan-22 14:49:21

Lovely sweaters Maw

Boden & The White Company have really good sales throughout the year.

Ali08 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:05:33

MayBee70

Oh yes, MayBee70, we CAN do that...but we're British (well some of us are) and that's just not the done thing! ??
Unless you're a Karen, like me, who'll try to get a bargain/money off if I see the slightest problem!!
A hell of a lot of people don't know this, but you can try. Whether or not the shops go for it is another thing entirely.