Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

'New' ringlet style for long hair.

(16 Posts)
CanadianGran Fri 28-Jan-22 21:24:06

I read the article, and agree that the 'straight to the cheekbone, then curly' fashion is ubiquitous, and in my mind a bit boring.

Every single young lady I know has long hair, no fringe, worn in a messy bun and the above style when going out. Taht style doesn't even have a name! No cute short bobs, pixie cuts, shags or flips. It's getting dull.

Speaking of flips, do you remember Marlo Thomas? I loved her hair as a child, and kept asking my mum to make my hair do the same as hers, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Yammy Fri 28-Jan-22 18:39:20

My mum "Twinked", permed my hair every Easter and Christmas. I can remember something called Toddilox when little was rubbed in. With the perm, I was always pleased with the school holidays to let the frizz settle down. My poker-straight hair would do nothing not even hold a slide so she took me to have a fringe cut.grin I looked like a little boy.

GrandmaSeaDragon Fri 28-Jan-22 18:29:15

I only tried using rags once. Couldn’t get the hang of it at all. In my late teens, I used to sleep in plastic hair rollers to try and get my shoulder length thick hair to go into flick outs. Torture! It never worked, curls fell out before I even stepped out of the door.Then I had Carmen heated rollers for ages, curling tongs after that. Now I use a hot brush, but much less frequently. I once tried using rags on my daughter when she was in a dancing show. Her curls dropped out as she danced, not a success!

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jan-22 18:12:30

Oh gosh I remember the ringlets mum used to put in my hair. She used to twist them round so tight I swear my hair was tearing out of my scalp. My hair was already natural so I don't know why she did it really. Then it was plaits for school.

Throughout my life I've never bothered with my hair, it's always done its own thing----then after the menopause the life seemed to go out of it along with the missing hormone grin and it went like wild mint and lost its curl. It went thinner too though I've still got pretty fair of it yet and it's only predominantly lighter at the front and not yet all over white or grey.

AreWeThereYet Fri 28-Jan-22 17:46:20

A friend curls her hair with her dressing gown cord.

I tried that Gagajo ? My hair is halfway down my back and wavy but I like it to curl. Could not get the hang of this. I would need an extra couple of hands ??

BBbevan Fri 28-Jan-22 17:30:46

My hair has always been straight and fine. My mum tortured me with rags in my hair. Ringlets fell out in minutes., so did plaits .

tanith Fri 28-Jan-22 16:30:07

I’ve straightened my curly hair since my teens but I've now stopped and let it do it’s own thing which I hope looks fabulous with shiny curls but I’m sure is more like a frizzy curly mess most of the time. ??‍?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 28-Jan-22 16:19:27

There's nothing new under the sun, is there? I struggled to straighten my naturally wavy hair as a teenager by leaning over an ironing board and dragging a hot iron over it, not having the modern technology which is available now. I so wanted to look like Cathy McGowan who had shoulder length straight hair.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jan-22 16:14:08

Yes, my Mum used to put my hair in rags for 'occasions', I can remember how uncomfortable it was sleeping with them in.

Zoejory Fri 28-Jan-22 15:22:08

My Grandma used to have to straighten her wavy hair with one of those irons that get heated up on a fire .

Just shows that we're never happy with out hair! I always wanted wavy and my close friend, think Crystal Tipps and Alistair, was desperate to have my straight locks.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 15:19:37

Now mine’s the opposite Fanny. Don’t like it on wash day when it’s straight. Better two or three days in when it’s gone wavy!

FannyCornforth Fri 28-Jan-22 15:14:40

Mine too Shep! It never used to be curly, but it’s probably the one good things that’s come with age.
It looks great on ‘wash day’ but after that I have to put it up.
I’ve always wanted long curly auburn hair (see username) so am quite chuffed about it ( it’s grey naturally)

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 15:10:38

Mine just does it naturally. It used to drive me mad and I used straighteners every day. I eventually realised life was too short.

GagaJo Fri 28-Jan-22 15:08:46

A friend curls her hair with her dressing gown cord.

Grandmabatty Fri 28-Jan-22 15:06:48

My mother did this to my hair in the 60s. I hated every minute of her brushing it out.

Marmite32 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:04:00

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/jan/28/carries-straight-then-wavy-hairstyle-is-everywhere-heres-why
Nothing is new in fashion. Anyone remember girls with long hair winding long rags aroud strands when they went to bed?