I have set my heart on a summer dress, but oh lord, can I find anything that looks anything like. I am 5ft 6" tall with a long torso and everything I look at is short-waisted. I don't want a waist that sits somewhere under my boobs! I am a standard size 12. I have given up on JL, M & S, Next. Even browsing the more expensive websites brings up the same issue.
In past years I have bought patterned shift dresses in a linen mix from Next, the Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Asda. I know next some this year. I am 5ft 1in tall and not particularly thin.
The dresses may be longer waisted than they look. Typically models are used who are much taller than most of us, so the waistlines appear to be much higher. When you actually try the garment on at home you find it's much longer everywhere than it appeared. My problem is the other way round - I'm quite short-waisted - and it's irritating to order something that looks as though it will sit closer to my bust only to find the waist line is down to my hips!
I agree, Seasalt dresses are stylish, but I found them very shortwaisted. I'm 5'7", wouldn't have said I was especialy long-bodied, but haven't had any luck with them at all. Tried on three or four occasions, but have given up now.
I agree with the suggestions so far, especially Boden & Sahara, but nobody has mentioned Weird Fish. I bought 2 lovely dresses from them for a ridiculously low price. I wasn't expecting anything too marvellous for the money but I was more than pleased with my purchases. Good quality, great fit & excellent delivery.
Thank you all so much, I am now happily browsing and homing in on a suitable dress. I like the point about the models being about 5'8" or more, so the modeled item looks like it is short in the torso, or maybe my home dressing making skills need resurrecting.
I have completely given up and gone back to making my own. Style have some really nice patterns with really good fitting instructions. I can also ensure that I will be wearing a cotton mix of some kind rather than man-made fibres!
I swear by Seasalt cornwall and Joules. Have a look. Seasalt uses beautiful fabrics, and lovely designs. They make most of their dresses in a petite, medium, and tall range too so you should find styles which fit your body.
I've just bought a dress on Seasalt. They say they fit them onto real women! Don't know who the others fit them to. Anyway I have high hopes for this ?.