Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Summer dress - help!

(110 Posts)
Hermia46 Wed 13-Apr-22 08:28:52

I have set my heart on a summer dress, but oh lord, can I find anything that looks anything like. I am 5ft 6" tall with a long torso and everything I look at is short-waisted. I don't want a waist that sits somewhere under my boobs! I am a standard size 12. I have given up on JL, M & S, Next. Even browsing the more expensive websites brings up the same issue.

Anyone got any advice on where to look next?

TillyTrotter Fri 06-May-22 17:56:03

Millie I really like my new Hush dress. Brighter colours and nicer than the picture suggests.

Millie22 Sat 07-May-22 11:40:56

Tilly
That's a lovely dress. I have a top in a similar material.

Aflia Tue 07-Jul-26 17:30:24

I always end up at M&S or Roman for summer dresses — both do nice linen ones. Quick tip, before I buy I always run through a UK voucher comparison site, you can usually find a working code (often 15-20% off) that stacks on the sale section. Saves a
fortune over the season.

LucyAnna5 Tue 07-Jul-26 17:48:35

The thread is over 4 years old!!

Oreo Tue 07-Jul-26 18:56:19

As are the Summer dresses

Blossoming Mon 13-Jul-26 21:41:16

I love Weird Fish, probably influenced by the fact that the marina shop opposite our house often sells them with a decent discount, I have 4 of their Tallahassee shift dresses in different prints and they’re ideal for this hot weather.

Blossoming Mon 13-Jul-26 21:42:44

Oops, I didn’t notice the date on the OP, I just love talking about dresses 😁

nomadsclothing Fri 31-Jul-26 16:02:59

I know exactly what you mean! I'm a similar height, and finding dresses with the right waist placement can be surprisingly difficult. So many seem to be designed with a much shorter torso in mind.

If you're open to looking beyond dresses, I've had good luck with viscose wide leg trousers paired with a lightweight blouse or tucked-in top. They can be really flattering on a longer torso and are super comfortable in warm weather.

You could also take a look at Nomads Clothing. I've noticed they tend to have relaxed, easy-to-wear styles made from natural fabrics, and some of their dresses and separates have a less restrictive fit that might work better for your proportions. It might be worth a browse if you haven't already.

Hope you find something that fits the way you want—it's amazing how much difference the right proportions make!

Aldom Fri 31-Jul-26 16:13:31

I know this is an old thread but I have just become aware of an eco friendly clothing company. It's called Unfolded. The dresses are very reasonably priced and made to order so that there is no waste.
No waste meaning..... they don't over produce clothes which are then not required.