Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What styles will never work for you?

(33 Posts)
snowberryZ Sat 16-Jul-22 13:18:21

Inspired by a thread on t'other site!

What do you keep buying because, in your head it looks nice but in reality it doesn't?

For me it's swishy, below the knee skirts, especially pleated or layered. No matter how much I try to dress it down I always end up feeling frumpy
Also can't get on board with the whole tucking tops in fandango. In theory it should suit me because I have a long torso, but the reality is (after catching site of the old derriere in the mirror) tucked in tops makes my bum look flat.

Dee1012 Sat 16-Jul-22 15:38:05

Wrap dresses... I'm sick and tired of hearing/reading how great they look on curvy or busty people.
No - I look like a bag of spuds in them! confused

Marsha Sat 16-Jul-22 15:42:48

Dee1012

Wrap dresses... I'm sick and tired of hearing/reading how great they look on curvy or busty people.
No - I look like a bag of spuds in them! confused

I grew with you there. I always think Kirstie Allsop looks awful in them, in spite of being a very attractive woman.

Marsha Sat 16-Jul-22 15:43:00

*agree

toscalily Sat 16-Jul-22 15:44:25

Wish something would make my bum look flat!

Marsha Sat 16-Jul-22 15:44:40

Anything tucked in doesn’t look good on me - I’m not huge (14, sometimes a 16), but I have a bit of a tummy, and poor muscle strength there!

Marsha Sat 16-Jul-22 15:45:29

toscalily

Wish something would make my bum look flat!

Ooh, I think it’s trendy with the young to have quite a big, sticky out “booty” !

RainbowsAndUnicorns1 Sat 16-Jul-22 15:46:07

I love wrap dresses and find them very flattering.

But, I can't wear boxy styles, pinafore dresses or dirndl style skirts. They just don't suit me. Ditto trousers with pleated fronts or button fly jeans and double breasted jackets.

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Jul-22 16:47:15

I'm small and round. Anything with a small pattern, high neckline and long length is hideous on me.

BlueBalou Sat 16-Jul-22 16:50:53

Long pleated (or any pleated!) skirts - I look like a lampshade.
The current trend for long flowery dresses makes me look like I’m wearing a nightdress or a mobile floral tent.
Simpler the better I guess is best!

Marsha Sat 16-Jul-22 16:56:06

RainbowsAndUnicorns1

I love wrap dresses and find them very flattering.

But, I can't wear boxy styles, pinafore dresses or dirndl style skirts. They just don't suit me. Ditto trousers with pleated fronts or button fly jeans and double breasted jackets.

That’s interesting about the wrap dresses. Are you fairly slim? Small bust?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 16-Jul-22 17:08:45

I try not to buy things which don't flatter my short and now rounder shape. When I was younger I would have loved to have worn the Chanel type skirt suit but the top would make me look like a box.

Prentice Sat 16-Jul-22 17:33:40

I cannot wear anything tightly fitting, or pleats, or anything at all too fussy.
I like plain colours mainly too.
I cannot wear shorts or short skirts

halfpint1 Sat 16-Jul-22 18:58:17

Skirts, any and every. Gave them up 10 years ago, they make
me look so old

ShazzaKanazza Sat 16-Jul-22 19:13:42

I avoid dresses or skirts with a tie belt I look like a sack tied up in the middle. I’m too lumpy and bumpy.

kittylester Sat 16-Jul-22 19:28:38

I haven't worn a skirt since a hundred years ago.

Patsy70 Sat 16-Jul-22 20:08:35

Anything that’s too fussy; belts; low cut necklines; puff sleeves.

JackyB Sat 16-Jul-22 22:01:44

Round necks make me feel as though I'm being strangled. I always wear V-necks. It's also more flattering for the bigger bust.

BigBertha1 Sat 16-Jul-22 22:24:02

I don't like anything frilly or those tops that have a sleeve but leave your shoulders bare.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Jul-22 22:32:37

Everything mentioned above.

henetha Sat 16-Jul-22 23:10:07

Anything posh really. I just don't look or feel good dressed up in 'proper' clothes.

Ro60 Sat 16-Jul-22 23:43:09

White trousers: last time I counted I had 7 - then I bought another pair.?
They go with everything, look smart, classic, I'll wear them for years, but - my life these days, having moved house to a more casual area & lifestyle is gardening with a group, grand-children, then there's winter....

Baggytrazzas Sun 17-Jul-22 01:50:28

Long tunics in cotton fabric that, since my hips have widened considerably, stick around my waist after I start moving about and so make my bottom look like a huge square box when viewed from the back.

Allsorts Sun 17-Jul-22 13:47:09

Anything boxy or tied round the waist, I think now a Kaftan would be most flattering with a wimple.?

Tricia1951 Tue 19-Jul-22 08:44:52

I’m finding it impossible to find simple day dresses at the moment. As a petite size 8, these midi voluminous dresses completely drown me.