Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Funeral outfit

(33 Posts)
Elusivebutterfly Sat 23-Jul-22 14:52:44

I am going to a funeral next week. At Most funerals I have been to in recent years the family have requested bright clothes to be worn. This funeral is formal.
I am wondering if it would be acceptable to wear a white top with black trousers or is all black expected still? The service is high church CofE and being conducted by a Bishop. Please advise me.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Jul-22 15:00:58

Personally a LBD, light coloured tights and a black Cardigan.

Unless I’m told not too, I wear a ‘little black dress’.

Ailidh Sat 23-Jul-22 15:03:18

White top and black trousers, most acceptable and dignified.

Casdon Sat 23-Jul-22 15:05:26

I’d wear a black jacket too, only because I’m always cold when I’m in church, but I think your choice is good.

Mine Sat 23-Jul-22 15:26:56

Black jacket and trousers and a colourful top looks nice especially if you are taking your jacket off if there is a purvy after the sevice

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jul-22 15:41:47

That’s absolutely fine EB
Men wear white shirts with their suits, after all.
I would take a cardi or jacket too.
I usually wear navy, as I don’t have much black.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 23-Jul-22 15:51:57

Yes, I can’t wear black,I look like the deceased in it, so I have a navy silk dress or dark green woollen depending on the weather.

I think black and white is fine though.

midgey Sat 23-Jul-22 15:59:53

Mine….is purvy a local name for a wake or a typo?

Blossoming Sat 23-Jul-22 16:03:22

I have a simple black drape dress that I wear to funerals.

Prentice Sat 23-Jul-22 16:03:23

Casdon

I’d wear a black jacket too, only because I’m always cold when I’m in church, but I think your choice is good.

This is what I think too.

BlueSapphire Sat 23-Jul-22 16:04:48

At my Dsis-in-laws funeral (at which the bishop was present), I wore a black jacket and trousers and a dusky pink top.

Blossoming Sat 23-Jul-22 16:05:38

A purvy is the name given to the food and drink after a funeral. I think it derives from ‘purvey’.

NotSpaghetti Sat 23-Jul-22 16:06:03

Think a wake is before a funeral. I think it comes from "staying awake" besides the body. In my experience it's been a time of sitting and chatting with the family and close friends, basically celebrating the life of the person we knew.

As regards clothes I think you will be fine with a white shirt/blouse if you have a black/dark skirt and jacket.

Callistemon21 Sat 23-Jul-22 16:12:21

I've been to so many over the last two or three years.

Unless asked not to wear black I would normally wear black with a cream or white top.

I wore navy to one when I was asked not to wear black (couldn't somehow bring myself to wear red or anything too bright).

Think a wake is before a funeral

It may have been in the past but generally it seems to be the gathering after the funeral now.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 23-Jul-22 16:17:41

Thank you all. The forecast is for it to be hot and the church is modern so don't expect it to be cold like older churches, hence I don't think I will be wearing a jacket.
I will wear the black trousers and white blouse and take either a black cardigan or jacket with me.

sharon103 Sat 23-Jul-22 16:19:03

I always wear black trousers and a white or even a patterned/ floral coloured top.
A black jacket if it's cold weather or a long black thin cardigan if it's cool.

MissLemonsLoveChild Sat 23-Jul-22 16:50:37

Yes, a wake originates from Ireland and derives from the custom of close family sitting up all night before the funeral, with the coffin at their home - talking and exchanging memories.

It helps in feeling that the departed are not left alone, and can enjoy one more sociable time with family and friends that may call in. It kind of works.

Prentice Sat 23-Jul-22 16:56:59

I think a wake means both of those things.I once attended a history talk, about the custom of not leaving the dead person alone through the night.Also the word wake is an old word meaning a celebration or meeting of peoples.So that comes after the internment.

Judy54 Sat 23-Jul-22 17:22:52

Black trousers and a white top are perfectly acceptable. I normally go for a mixture of grey and black (all black looks awful on me) So it could be black trousers with a grey top and grey jacket or grey trousers with a black top and a black jacket. Any of these combinations using a white top instead would be right for the occasion.

Redhead56 Sat 23-Jul-22 17:33:09

Here people tend to stick to formal dark clothes never been to a funeral where people wear bright clothes. I'm talking about funerals for a variety of religions or no religion.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 23-Jul-22 17:33:51

I used to have a brown corduroy dress which I bought for my father’s funeral and wore to several others. The last funeral I went to a couple of years ago, I wore a black dress with a black and white jacket.

mumofmadboys Sat 23-Jul-22 19:30:50

I don't think a bishop will mind what you wear to a funeral one bit!

Yammy Sat 23-Jul-22 19:38:50

White is considered a mourning colour in some countries so would be very acceptable.

Calendargirl Sat 23-Jul-22 19:44:51

I’m going to the funeral of a friend’s husband this week. I plan on wearing a pair of black tapered leg trousers, circa 20 years old, which come out for funerals, with a long sleeved M&S blouse, white, black, yellow swirly pattern, and a pair of black lowish heel court shoes. If it’s cooler, I shall also wear a black Max Mara short jacket.

I think it looks smart, respectful, but not too severe.

Kim19 Sat 23-Jul-22 19:58:24

Your selection sound perfect.