Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Men in shorts

(41 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 26-Jul-22 16:30:22

Does your DH wear shorts almost all the time ? I see so many men these days in shorts of all lengths. Even in quite formal occasions , like being on TV , they still wear them . Is is because they are comfortable , cheap or what. I saw a man to-day with the longest long white skinny legs in shorts shopping and them he went into a lovely old classic car. Have to add my DH does not ever wear shorts ( no legs for them ) but my neighbour, who spends long spells in the Canaries, tells me her DH never has his trousers on when there. It always makes me smile .

Jackiest Tue 26-Jul-22 16:39:40

There are far more restrictions on what men can wear than there are on women so I think we should encourage every bit of variation in clothing that they have.

rosie1959 Tue 26-Jul-22 16:41:12

My DH wears them all summer everywhere he wears chino shorts.
Who really wants to wear long trousers in this weather also he has lymphadema and wears support stocking
He wears them for work, going out and even dinner in a hotel.
A few years ago he did mention that some of the more mature residents did appear to look at him because he was wearing shorts (with a proper shirt and shoes) Told him not to worry the hotel certainly didn't mind.
Now it's much more common

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Jul-22 16:52:39

Not sure they will be much cheaper than trousers as the only difference is the small amount of extra material and the few seconds in sewing time... They both have hems/ shaping/ zips or buttons/ topstitching, pockets etc.

J52 Tue 26-Jul-22 16:57:33

Both my DH and sons wear shorts throughout the summer. DH will put trousers on if we go out in the evening, even though his shorts are mostly smart ones.

Namsnanny Tue 26-Jul-22 16:59:11

My husband doesn't wear them often. I wouldn't mind if he did though.
With the exception that he invariably wears black socks or winter shoes, with out a care in the world!
Comfort matters to him more than looks, and why not? grin

Aveline Tue 26-Jul-22 16:59:47

Lots of men seem to wear shorts these days but should they? I've seen some sad sights : ancient chaps in empire builder shorts above skinny white legs or men with large bottoms barely contained by shorts. Mind you when the sun shines women can make just as ill judged wardrobe choices. It's a free country. Wear what is comfortable in the heat.

Chestnut Tue 26-Jul-22 17:13:30

Most men look dreadful in shorts, but then most women look dreadful in leggings. You have to be young and shapely to look good in either. But that is 21st century dress so it matters not what we think.

Allsorts Tue 26-Jul-22 17:20:02

I don’t blame them, unless they sit underneath a huge bare stomach. Never seen my postman in trousers even in the snow, he also runs everywhere so I think it’s part of his fitness regime.

M0nica Tue 26-Jul-22 17:22:43

I think it has more to do with leg length. I never realised how short men's legs were until they started wearing shorts, they wear long T shirts over them and look as if they are dragging their a***s along the ground.

Casdon Tue 26-Jul-22 17:29:00

I like a pair of tailored shorts on a man of any age as long as they aren’t overweight. I feel the same about women in shorts. They key thing is to get the shoes right, and not to wear dark (or even worse, patterned) suit socks.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jul-22 17:38:34

Himself looks good in shorts. He has lightly tanned legs, good calves, has no knotty varicose veins and wears ‘no show’ socks inside deck shoes.

sodapop Tue 26-Jul-22 18:06:01

My husband wears shorts nearly all summer unless we are going somewhere it's not appropriate. He looks fine in them, they are knee length ones generally. He did get a shorter pair which looked awful so I talked him out of wearing them. I think older men need the longer leg length. I have awful varicose veins in one leg so never wear shorts any more.

Aveline Tue 26-Jul-22 18:20:20

I remember seeing businessen in Sydney in smart knee length shorts with a shirt and tie and long socks. Somehow it looked OK

MrsKen33 Tue 26-Jul-22 18:26:37

My DH wears shorts all summer also. And fisherman’s sandals to go with them. No flip flops

Namsnanny Tue 26-Jul-22 18:38:04

Flipa flopa (we've adopted Michael McIntyres Italian pronunciation ?) lovely - on the beach, but not the street, please.
I keep thinking of stubbed toes etc.

JaneJudge Tue 26-Jul-22 18:45:08

we all (men and women) wear shorts at work because it's always hot - all shapes and sizes and ages

grumppa Tue 26-Jul-22 19:07:13

I never wear shorts except on the beach. Nothing special about my legs, so I don't feel the need to inflict them on others.

Namsnanny Tue 26-Jul-22 19:12:00

grumppa gringrin I'm sure there will be many who wont think that.

SpringyChicken Tue 26-Jul-22 19:18:27

The worst look ever is men in indecently short shorts. Particularly old men in short shorts. Yuk

Teacheranne Tue 26-Jul-22 19:23:20

Just don’t wear open toed sandals with socks please! Or even worse as I saw today in Tesco, flip flops with socks!

HeavenLeigh Tue 26-Jul-22 19:30:48

My husband wears shorts and so do my three sons I actually think they look nice in them, our postman and lady does also the milkman much nicer than wearing trousers in the heat

vampirequeen Tue 26-Jul-22 19:35:35

DH wears shorts. Why not? Why should they wear trousers if the weather is hot? Women can wear shorts, dresses, skirts or trousers.

varian Tue 26-Jul-22 19:36:29

Why not? If shorts are good enough for MIchael Eavis, why not?

eazybee Tue 26-Jul-22 21:55:09

No idea who Michael Eavis is, but those shorts do not do him any favours.