Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Does anyone else think that trousers like this are hideously ugly?

(151 Posts)
Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 16:58:01

And aren’t at all flattering even on tall, super-slim models? Let alone anyone of a more normal size.

I do buy from this company but they are increasingly featuring this sort of thing.

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 18:08:02

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 18:08:26

They don’t look ugly to me I love the white trainers/ plimsolls they are sooooo comfortable I wear them all the time
Not sure I d buy or wear these but I don’t find anything wrong with them

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 18:09:15

I ve been in knee length shorts all summer though

AreWeThereYet Sun 14-Aug-22 18:15:26

I thought they were elasticated bottoms but they're not. They're okay but I wouldn't pay that price for anything short of a winter coat anyway.

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 18:29:52

Witzend

Blondiescot

They look comfy and cool to me. Personally, I wear what I want without worrying about people judging me for it...

Of course, Blondiescot, me too. But my point was that I wouldn’t want to wear something that to me looks ugly, especially not at £119 a pop.

Being short and fat, I probably wouldn't choose to buy them either, especially not at that price. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if people like them, then why not? It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same clothes.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 18:31:26

Where does it say the price ?

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 18:32:33

Witzend

To me they just are ugly. I dare say they’re extremely comfortable - but so are two loose cotton dresses I reserve for extremely hot weather, which are only marginally more flattering than a potato sack.

I’d assumed they were linen but having checked, they’re actually made of hemp, organic cotton and yak cord, whatever that may be.
£119.

Price mentioned here

Millie22 Sun 14-Aug-22 18:38:25

I don't dislike the style but there's something not quite right with them. Do the cuffs have a popper instead of being elasticated?

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 18:54:03

These are cheap and cheerful (and cool)

www.seagrassandwillow.com/product-page/the-elsa-linen-button-trousers

Mapleleaf Sun 14-Aug-22 19:02:21

They’re not to my taste, they look quite shapeless and not very flattering to me and so I wouldn’t buy them, but we’re all different, and no doubt some people will love them.

Baggs Sun 14-Aug-22 19:05:43

Robin49

I completely agree. Absolutely hideous and not at all feminine.

I'd love a defnition of feminine trousers, by which I mean I don't think anyone could come up with one. What suits one woman won't suit another. Same with dresses, shirts/blouses, anything really.

My dad once said that what I was wearing (I was fifteen and about to go on a cycle ride) was "not very feminine". I was wearing my elder brother's cast off khaki trousers and shirt. I had very few outfits back then.

I said to my dad: "I don't have to try to be feminine; I'm feminine by definition." Dad, being the philosopher he was, took it in good part ?

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:12:44

Robin49

I completely agree. Absolutely hideous and not at all feminine.

That’s a really interesting comment. I have to say, when I put my clothes on each day, I don’t think, “Do I look feminine?” What looks feminine anyway? A floral blouse and a pink pleated skirt?

I’ve just read what I’ve written and I realise it sounds challenging. I don’t mean to be at all rude - I was just surprised by your comment. Would you like to say more about looking feminine?

Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 19:19:51

Casdon

I like them, and they look really comfortable. I always like to try new trouser shapes, I feel as though nothing dates me more than sticking to the familiar, so I’ll try anything on (except tight, see through or cut-out styles) and see what I think on me. Where are they from Witzend?

The company is Poetry , Casdon.
Virtually all natural fibres, and generally quite pricey.

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:22:32

They're the sort of trousers that need to be put together as part of a'modern look'

As in the styled with shirt and as with model , white trainer/pumps.

Otherwise could look a bit cobbled together .

Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 19:25:12

Shirley48

So, what would be more flattering? Something like these - shock

For me in summer I like fairly wide leg trousers in cotton or linen, or a mix - but nicely fitted at the waist and round the hips, IYKWIM. To me those are reasonably flattering, but I don’t expect anyone to agree with me.
I have several such pairs, some of which are at least 5 years old.

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:29:40

Like these, Witzend?

I like these, but I like the ones in your original post too smile

Blossoming Sun 14-Aug-22 19:31:35

Sorry Shirley48, I don’t like any of those, though I’m glad to see they are using some older models.

Hithere Sun 14-Aug-22 19:35:06

They look fine to me

Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 19:37:13

Shirley48

Like these, Witzend?

I like these, but I like the ones in your original post too smile

Yes. I have 2 white pairs very similar -one in relatively thin cotton - nice and cool for summer.

Farzanah Sun 14-Aug-22 19:42:16

To be honest slim models look good in a paper bag. I like the casual look and see nothing wrong with them.

Caleo Sun 14-Aug-22 19:42:39

I prefer them baggier than the ones pictured . Nipped -in at the ankles is safer as less likely to trip you up. I like to see pretty legs on display in tight jeans or leggings however most legs are less than pretty.

If the upper body is thick and the legs are thin and poorly muscled baggy leg coverings look better than having little thin legs hanging down below the top.

Caleo Sun 14-Aug-22 19:44:21

PS I like the look of the ones Shirley posted

Shirley48 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:53:35

Blossoming

Sorry Shirley48, I don’t like any of those, though I’m glad to see they are using some older models.

No, no, don’t apologise - I was being sarcastic - I think those clothes really are awful!!!

Juliet27 Sun 14-Aug-22 19:54:55

I don’t mind cuffed trousers but these look as though cycle clips have been added.

MiniMoon Sun 14-Aug-22 19:56:02

I saw those and toyed with the idea of sending for a pair until I saw the price. I do like them.