Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ladies day at York races

(61 Posts)
62Granny Thu 18-Aug-22 17:45:21

I know this sounds like it should be a sports thread but trust me is is definitely one for S & B
I have just seen the photos of young and some older ladies dressed in some dubious dresses which don't leave a lot to the imagination.
Why do they think that wearing high heels and tight fitting / see through dresses with the ubiquitous facinator make them look glamorous?
I know they go just for an excuse to dress up and don't know the first thing about horse racing but I wonder when they and look back at the photos in years to come what will they think.
mol.im/a/11123563

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Aug-22 22:04:01

Maybe the outfits look cheap (according to some) because that’s all they could afford after paying for race day tickets and factoring in spending money?

MayBee70 Thu 18-Aug-22 22:17:20

GrannyGravy13

Maybe the outfits look cheap (according to some) because that’s all they could afford after paying for race day tickets and factoring in spending money?

You can actually go to the enclosure on the inside of the track fir £15. We’ve got a friend whose house overlooks the track and he always meets up with his friends there. Ok you can’t get to pre parade or the paddock but you get a great view of the races,
.I assume you can picnic there, too.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Aug-22 22:17:37

I expect the outfits were pretty costly.
They're certainly colourful, rather than sludge coloured beige, so that's something in their favour. smile

Lucca Thu 18-Aug-22 23:14:45

There’s Only one classy outfit and that’s the woman in a white dress checking herself in the mirror

MissAdventure Thu 18-Aug-22 23:32:12

I rather like the red feathery outfit. smile
Its certainly eye catching!

Mogsmaw Thu 18-Aug-22 23:47:05

Some of the comments reminded me of Victoria Coren Mitchel on Have I got news for you. They were laughing at princesses Bertrice and Eugenie’s hats at the weddings.
She defended them saying they’d got their outfits and asked their friends who said they looked nice and now we were all laughing. She was right, everyone looks lovely with a smile and they’d all made an effort and we should all be kinder.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 07:45:48

I agree Lucca.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-22 09:53:20

I think Lucca. You only like the most conservative and, almost, old fashioned, outfit photographed, or perhaps just looking at the ones that you would wear.

People have many different styles of dressing and I may not particularly like them, but I can recognise when, whatever their style, they do it well. A classic example of that is the Goth lady, absolutely not my style or taste, particularly the tattoos. But she does the style so well. I can admire how well her outfit has been put together, the limited use of tattoos, Outfit, make up etc etc just all look stylish and balanced - in the Goth style.

I noticed several really nice more up to date outfits on younger woman.Not, outfits I would wear, but well fitting and well accessorized and the whole outfit looking classy.

A lady in a long bottle green pleated dress with a crossover halter neck, with a man as accessory, couldn't see her shoes, a lady in a white midcalf combined dress and cloak, with a black and white hat and absolutely the right black shoes, and the lady, the centre of a group of three with a long dress with a splashy rose pattern in red/grey/black and a scarlet hat, and bag. And to show I have nothing against short dresses a blonde girl in a white lace dress, her long hair cleverly disguisung what looks like a possible excessive decollete.

As I said not necessarily styles I like, but ones done well.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:21:25

I love all the colour.

lolbacklink Fri 19-Aug-22 11:44:14

Hey Ladies, If you want to become independent and have a good side income, then become a Lash Expert with Lashing out loud.

lashingoutloud.com/

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 12:00:11

Reported

Gillycats Fri 19-Aug-22 12:19:00

I can’t believe they’re racing horses in this awful heat. Nobody cares about that (3 died on the 17th). It’s pretty sad that people are more concerned about ‘fashion’ than the welfare of these poor animals, some of which are being raced and whipped to their deaths in front of a baying crowd.

Visgir1 Fri 19-Aug-22 12:37:01

Gillycats

I can’t believe they’re racing horses in this awful heat. Nobody cares about that (3 died on the 17th). It’s pretty sad that people are more concerned about ‘fashion’ than the welfare of these poor animals, some of which are being raced and whipped to their deaths in front of a baying crowd.

That doesn't happen. Expensive Race Horses are well looked after.
If they can cope with the ground they are pulled, during this recent heatwave meets have been cancelled.

They are not whipped to death.
If a poor horse died on the track there is a genuine reason.

I have shares in Race Horses.. One Racing at York today they are treated very well.

Gillycats Fri 19-Aug-22 13:08:23

I’m sorry but you are wrong. Yes expensive race horses are looked after while they’re successful. But for thousands of others that’s not the case. If they don’t make the grade then they are often destroyed. Meets have not been postponed at all, even on the hottest days. The jockey of the Grand National this year got into trouble for the over use of his whip.
How do you justify the death of a horse on the track? Genuine reason? No they’ve died purely for human greed. It’s all about gambling and money. Without that there would be no racing.
Please take the time to look at www.horsedeathwatch.com/index.php

www.animalaid.org.uk/the-issues/our-campaigns/horse-racing/

Visgir1 Fri 19-Aug-22 13:13:35

If you say so..

Gillycats Fri 19-Aug-22 15:34:36

www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2022-07-15
And I do say so. Because it’s a fact.

Blossoming Fri 19-Aug-22 15:46:34

My word! I do like looking at frocks, I think the lady in the white frock with an attached cape looks very elegant. Some . of the other ladies seem to have forgotten their semmits!

Lucca Fri 19-Aug-22 16:08:00

M0nica

I think Lucca. You only like the most conservative and, almost, old fashioned, outfit photographed, or perhaps just looking at the ones that you would wear.

People have many different styles of dressing and I may not particularly like them, but I can recognise when, whatever their style, they do it well. A classic example of that is the Goth lady, absolutely not my style or taste, particularly the tattoos. But she does the style so well. I can admire how well her outfit has been put together, the limited use of tattoos, Outfit, make up etc etc just all look stylish and balanced - in the Goth style.

I noticed several really nice more up to date outfits on younger woman.Not, outfits I would wear, but well fitting and well accessorized and the whole outfit looking classy.

A lady in a long bottle green pleated dress with a crossover halter neck, with a man as accessory, couldn't see her shoes, a lady in a white midcalf combined dress and cloak, with a black and white hat and absolutely the right black shoes, and the lady, the centre of a group of three with a long dress with a splashy rose pattern in red/grey/black and a scarlet hat, and bag. And to show I have nothing against short dresses a blonde girl in a white lace dress, her long hair cleverly disguisung what looks like a possible excessive decollete.

As I said not necessarily styles I like, but ones done well.

Er… excuse me I’m not in the least conservative in my dress she is the only one whose dress fits or looks well made.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 16:56:59

with a man as accessory ?
I hope he was clean and well-dressed!

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-22 17:36:35

she is the only one whose dress fits or looks well made. Sorry, Lucca i still disagree, All the women I singled out were wearing dresses that fitted and looked well made - even the Goth.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-22 17:37:11

Callistemon They were a nicely matched pair.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 17:40:04

You have seen your optician recently I hope, MOnica?

Rosie51 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:33:14

This one in green M0nica? I agree, the dress fits and looks well made.
The one on the left in white in the second photo looks lovely and it fits well. You need to be slim like her to carry it off.

MayBee70 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:38:01

Rosie51

This one in green M0nica? I agree, the dress fits and looks well made.
The one on the left in white in the second photo looks lovely and it fits well. You need to be slim like her to carry it off.

Pleated skirts and hips don’t go together. I still don’t understand how people can walk in shoes like that!

MerylStreep Fri 19-Aug-22 18:38:11

Lucca

There’s Only one classy outfit and that’s the woman in a white dress checking herself in the mirror

Couldn’t agree more. I loved her outfit ?