Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ladies day at York races

(61 Posts)
62Granny Thu 18-Aug-22 17:45:21

I know this sounds like it should be a sports thread but trust me is is definitely one for S & B
I have just seen the photos of young and some older ladies dressed in some dubious dresses which don't leave a lot to the imagination.
Why do they think that wearing high heels and tight fitting / see through dresses with the ubiquitous facinator make them look glamorous?
I know they go just for an excuse to dress up and don't know the first thing about horse racing but I wonder when they and look back at the photos in years to come what will they think.
mol.im/a/11123563

Rosie51 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:42:11

MerylStreep

Lucca

There’s Only one classy outfit and that’s the woman in a white dress checking herself in the mirror

Couldn’t agree more. I loved her outfit ?

Shows how different we all are, I thought it looked frumpy and of course we have no idea what the front was like, very hard to guess just from the back view.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 18:49:16

Well, she didn’t look like a tart - is that what it means to be frumpy? Proud to be frumpy then.

Rosie51 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:51:15

Goodness GSM are you suggesting the two women whose outfits I've referred to do look like tarts? I find that very offensive on their behalf!

Casdon Fri 19-Aug-22 18:53:56

This one was my favourite. I didn’t like the dress of the lady with her back to the camera because it looked a bit ‘old lady’, with too much fabric in the skirt for my taste.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 19:03:36

I don’t remember which ones you liked Rosie.
If classy is ‘old lady’ so be it Casdon. I’d be as happy with that dress at 71 as I would have been 30 years ago - and, office dress code aside, I’d never call myself a conservative dresser.

Casdon Fri 19-Aug-22 19:08:59

It’s each to their own GSM, isn’t it. I’ve never liked full skirts on dresses, I think they make even the slimmest person look bigger than they are, I prefer the fitted/tailored styles. I wouldn’t wear a sleeveless dress without a jacket now, although I would wear a version of the dress above with short or bracelet sleeves.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 20:15:22

Depends where the fullness is. Around the hips is a definite no-no unless you’re stick thin. Around the calves can be very flattering. I think you need very slender (not scrawny) arms to wear a sleeveless dress without a jacket so we definitely agree there!

Rosie51 Fri 19-Aug-22 22:14:42

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t remember which ones you liked Rosie.
If classy is ‘old lady’ so be it Casdon. I’d be as happy with that dress at 71 as I would have been 30 years ago - and, office dress code aside, I’d never call myself a conservative dresser.

On the previous page I posted the two photos with the dresses I thought looked well made and fitted the wearers. The lady in green and the one in white. I wouldn't wear either myself, not nearly slender enough, but I thought they both looked good in their choices.

DerbyshireLass Fri 19-Aug-22 23:30:01

The word "glamour" comes from the Scottish gramarye, meaning magic/enchantment. It's more modern meaning is alluring, exciting, having sex appeal.

A glamorous person, male or female, is always seen as having that indefinable je ne sais quoi, an element of mystery. Glamour has also come to have connotations of wealth, luxury and leisure. The glamour of Monte Carlo ....

Most but not all of the outfits in the photos fail the "glamour test" because they do not adhere to the two "golden rules" of how to combine glamour, elegance and sex appeal.

1. Boobs or legs. Never both at the same time.
2. Silhouette not skin.

A truly glamorous outfit gives out subtle signals as to the delights that await, it doesn't put everything on public display. It's all about delayed gratification, the chase, "the tease". Its about piquing interest, building anticipation and excitement.
Like opening a beautifully wrapped gift......., what hidden delights are waiting to be discovered.

Skimpy ill fitting clothes that reveal too much flesh and leave nothing to the imagination are not glamourous. Truly glamorous women know how to reveal just enough to attract attention but also know the value of holding some if it back.

Hollywood movie stars such as Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, Ava Gardiner, Liz Taylor etc had glamour down to a fine art. Maximum impact without looking "cheap" or "tarty";

Baggytrazzas Sat 20-Aug-22 08:38:23

Steady on there, we might,to quote from a different thread, "have men reading who could find this rather exciting".