Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Is Your Wardrobe Winter Ready?

(31 Posts)
Blossoming Sat 03-Dec-22 19:18:10

Subject line of an email. I’ve checked and I have an oodie, long sleeved thermal vests, thermal leggings and big fluffy socks. That’s me sorted grin

ayse Sat 03-Dec-22 19:33:39

I don’t have an Oodie but I do have a 12 year old fleecy dressing gown that’s still going strong. My daughter sent me two merino vests as a present and I’m already the proud owner of thermal leggings and thick “Nordic” socks.

Over the past two or three years I’ve been buying more woollen jumpers, replacing the less than warm synthetics. It’s been really worth the investment. My next purchase will be another pair of cords so I can forget wearing jeans in the winter.

My youngest grandchildren are hardy northerners and think I’m odd wearing so many layers. Still, they do understand I feel the cold when I wear coats in the summer whilst they are in short sleeved dresses.

With then current crisis in mind I’m glad I changed my buying whilst I could afford to. I’m planning on selling all my unused clothes on Vinted after Xmas and using the proceeds to buy some sheepskin, water resistant boots for next winter.

I’m definitely getting older but I love being warm and comfortable.

Kim19 Sat 03-Dec-22 19:34:45

My wardrobe is all seasons.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Dec-22 20:18:10

I ordered some vests from M&S but sent them back.
They were a very peculiar shape.
Or maybe they were fine and I'm a peculiar shape?

My old coats and scarves, my crochet blanket will have to do.

MawtheMerrier Sat 03-Dec-22 20:31:50

I must be a peculiar shape then ! I got some pointelle sleeveless vests with built up shoulders and some with sleeves and I’m loving them!

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Dec-22 20:42:58

MawtheMerrier

I must be a peculiar shape then ! I got some pointelle sleeveless vests with built up shoulders and some with sleeves and I’m loving them!

😂😂😂

It's definitely me! They had lace straps.

Allsorts Sat 03-Dec-22 20:49:23

I’ve built up a good w arm winter wardrobe. I wish I had the nerve to sell the clothes I no longer want but I do donate them to charity but wonder if they end up in land fill.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Dec-22 21:12:32

Allsorts

I’ve built up a good w arm winter wardrobe. I wish I had the nerve to sell the clothes I no longer want but I do donate them to charity but wonder if they end up in land fill.

If they're not sold (but I'm sure most of them will be) they will go to the 'ragman' and will be recycled.

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Dec-22 21:43:10

Same as last winter, plus a new jumper, thermals are in use now.

Redhead56 Sat 03-Dec-22 21:44:24

I gave a lot of thick winter clothes to Ukraine collections. I bought more to replace them I am fair skinned and full of arthritis so I feel the cold. Thermals thick tights I wrap up well from head to toe.

CanadianGran Sat 03-Dec-22 22:03:47

I think my wardrobe is always winter-ready! Today I am wearing straight dark jeans, mid-weight grey sweater with camisole under, suede booties. Grey scarf and navy coat for outside.

We are going right after work to a friend's boat for the annual winter sail-past. The boats are all lit up in Christmas lights, I have a hot crab dip made (boat has oven to heat it), and some ciders packed. Should be a fun evening.

I have a very casual job where jeans or cords are fine. So jeans, sweater, vest (you call it a gillet?) and scarf are my basic wardrobe. I do my best to keep it coordinated and smart.

henetha Sat 03-Dec-22 23:47:26

I've just bought a big fluffy dressing gown with a hood, after wearing the same old pink one for over ten years.
Fleecy lined trousers, jumpers and cardigans. But no vests ,I can't stand vests.

annsixty Sun 04-Dec-22 00:01:25

I have bought three regatta fleece tops with a half zip and up to now just one M&S thermal long sleeved top.
I am supplementing with tee shirts.
With cotton socks to wear with slippers in the house and boots for outside I feel I am ready.
On very cold days I have been known to wear a dressing gown over all this, whisking it off if someone comes to the door.

ronib Sun 04-Dec-22 05:44:09

My hand knitted jumpers with thermal vest underneath are great for the coldest days. The warmest knits are from Bigga wool by Sirdar sadly no longer available and knitted on large needles. Also a hat helps. Hand knits last for many years.

BlueBalou Sun 04-Dec-22 05:51:01

I’m well prepared as we used to live in a very draughty old house without central heating 🥶 so have always dressed in layers.
Like ayse I have been wearing wooden jumpers, they’re so much warmer than synthetic yarn ones.
I buy mine from Woolovers, they’re lovely.
I feel the cold so I have sheepskin slippers and hand knitted socks too!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Dec-22 07:19:10

My new puffa is getting a lot of use as I waddle out with the dog, but it in incredibly warm.

I wear hats outdoors to keep warm as my hair is getting so thin😮

Your boating trip sounds fun canadiangran

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 07:34:51

I review and chuck and replace items in my winter wardrobe in September. I feel the cold and am always determined to not be caught out by unseasonal winter weather.

HettyBetty Sun 04-Dec-22 08:10:35

I'm a big fan of Heat Holders thermal long johns under my jeans. I have also discovered that the Sainsburys thicker thermal long sleeved vests are very cosy and will buy one or two more. I have a few woollen jumpers and plenty of woollen socks. Fortunately my work does not require me to look especially smart, just clean and tidy.

Oreo Sun 04-Dec-22 10:59:00

Up to now haven’t worn a vest since I was 12.
Am wearing one right this minute tho, not an actual vest but a strappy top underneath a jumper.Until recently the menopause has kept me toasty.
Got a furry dressing gown, furry slippers and fleecy socks.
Am turning into my Gran.

Caleo Sun 04-Dec-22 13:51:41

I keep my body warm with adequate layers, but my hands do get cold when I am typing, when the room is unheated.

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 17:03:26

Get fingerless gloves. You can knit them yourself, DD knits mine, or buy them on ebay, etsy etc

Forsythia Sun 04-Dec-22 17:10:02

I’m just back from a holiday in hot climates so I’m really feeling the cold. I’ve got my thermals on and I also use a Dreamland heated blanket when sitting. Thick socks, thermals and layers do the trick for me plus a good thick coat for outdoors.

Blossoming Sun 04-Dec-22 17:40:37

Caleo I’m wearing touch screen compatible running gloves. I get horrible chilblains and they’re bad this year. The gloves are thin, light and warm I still use my iPad or phone with them on.

MawtheMerrier Sun 04-Dec-22 20:39:21

Like ayse I have been wearing wooden jumpers, they’re so much warmer than synthetic yarn ones

Don’t you find them a bit stiff?
I suppose when you are tired of them you can just throw them in the log burner!
gringrin.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 20:58:12

MawtheMerrier

^Like ayse I have been wearing wooden jumpers, they’re so much warmer than synthetic yarn ones^

Don’t you find them a bit stiff?
I suppose when you are tired of them you can just throw them in the log burner!
gringrin.

😂😂😂

I bought two wooden jumpers from M&S - made out of wood-based fabrics.

Unfortunately they shrunk.
Shrank?