Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressier house shoes

(38 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 13-Dec-22 17:37:37

Do you have fancier house shoes that you bring with you if you are visiting? I had an invite to a house party the other day and noticed the hostess had a really lovely pair of gold pointy-toe flats with her all black outfit. She looked polished but comfortable.

We (Canadians) tend to take off shoes at the door, especially in the winter. I tend to bring some nicer slippers with me (ballet style), but think I need to up my game.

I'm off to google dressy flats.

lixy Tue 13-Dec-22 17:40:14

Oh gosh, I usually take my slippers! Better join you in the Google search!

MerylStreep Tue 13-Dec-22 17:43:26

Ooh yes. I’m certainly not sitting there with my socks/ tights/ stockings on show. Shoes complete the whole look.

Marydoll Tue 13-Dec-22 17:50:30

I have slippers in all my children's homes! grin

Joseanne Tue 13-Dec-22 18:06:02

Marydoll

Now why didn't I think of that? Thank you. Saves traipsing them round the houses.

henetha Tue 13-Dec-22 18:06:03

Yes. I've got some black velvet ballerina type slippers which are really pretty , just with a small red rosette on the front.
I've worn them in hotels all over the place for years. They're getting a bit shabby these days though.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Dec-22 18:28:37

I wish I could wear pretty shoes.

But yes, I was searching for a pair of nice but supportive 'indoor shoes' to take with me when visiting.
No success, though.

NotTooOld Tue 13-Dec-22 18:32:12

Try Pavers. I got some nice grey ballet style slippers with a 'fur' pompom from there. Not too pricy. Avoid MnS black velvet fur lined ballet slippers. They look good but you leave lumps of black fur all over the carpet!

Georgesgran Tue 13-Dec-22 19:05:50

Same here Marydoll. DGS1 loves to find them for me, as that usually means I’m staying longer than usual. At home, I have boot type slippers with hard soles, so I can go outside safely. I can remember having feathered, heeled mules years ago (before I fell downstairs and broke my arm!!).

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Dec-22 19:09:07

NotTooOld

Try Pavers. I got some nice grey ballet style slippers with a 'fur' pompom from there. Not too pricy. Avoid MnS black velvet fur lined ballet slippers. They look good but you leave lumps of black fur all over the carpet!

I tried Pavers today.

They're lovely but my feet aren't. 😥

Hetty58 Tue 13-Dec-22 19:09:19

I take my comfy ankle boots (meant for outdoors - but only used as slippers) in the winter, as I can't stand chilly feet and ankles. They do look quite smart and unusual. In the summer, I'd take a pair of Sketchers pumps, also used as house shoes.

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Dec-22 19:24:14

Going to let the side down here, we don’t go to dressy things, at friends, it’s socks or bare feet, depending on the time of year.

Auntieflo Tue 13-Dec-22 19:35:51

SnP Hetty58. I just recently dug out my Hotter Pixie boots. They haven't been worn outside for a couple of years, but are so cosy and warm in this cold weather.

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Dec-22 19:44:48

Jaxjacky

Going to let the side down here, we don’t go to dressy things, at friends, it’s socks or bare feet, depending on the time of year.

No-one would want to see my bare feet.🦶🦶

They are clean, though 🙂

Sago Tue 13-Dec-22 19:55:32

I have a few pairs of these, I keep a pair in the car and always pop some in a suitcase if we go away, the fold up small and come with a little pouch.

www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjv2pnrrvf7AhXBy-0KHQGhBvQYABAvGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESbOD2pzIfAPNYo0Wt--Qr5fwA3tf-u5gdNB9sJH1WsiGpX3Z-SvYkizh4M7idwWy4_fwFjArUOA3jhxT8DTQQClDPF9gGMUNWh9txd6xY3amcBTEBo5FaJj6oE4M2zGoJnrhql7zylMDcqIaicQ&sig=AOD64_3xhBfty48JN-MMWLzOW3nAFq3iMA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiYyJPrrvf7AhURg1wKHXV-DwAQ0Qx6BAgJEAE

midgey Tue 13-Dec-22 20:08:29

If you are looking at Hotter wait till a weekend, there is often some sort of offer on!

henetha Tue 13-Dec-22 23:17:32

Or wait for their sales maybe. Not long now.

BigBertha1 Wed 14-Dec-22 06:19:13

Apparently the Queen Consort wears Comfy Shoes from Sole Bliss. I might invest in a pair of these.

JackyB Wed 14-Dec-22 08:05:41

To the horror (apparently) of the rest of Europe, the German standard indoor footwear is Birkenstocks. They are indestructible and the cork-based sole keeps your feet warm. However, the rubber soles with their distinctive pattern do tend to mark tiled floors if looked at in a certain light, so I may start wearing something else, but when I tried some pretty mules my mother had given me, I came quite a cropper on the stairs - more than once!

Haven't really seen anything else here. Germans seem to wear either thick socks or felt slippers in the home. We don't really go to other people's houses very often, except the AC, and the Birkenstocks are quite adequate for there.

sodapop Wed 14-Dec-22 12:32:20

Those soles are a nuisance JackyB I wear scoll flip flops in the house and my current ones have a studded sole which leaves imprints all over my tiled floors.

toscalily Wed 14-Dec-22 13:03:31

I really dislike large slippers that look as if you are wearing a dead animal on your feet, much prefer my flip flops, without toe post which I can wear with or without socks depending on the weather. A few years ago M&S sold some brocade mules, not too high which I bought to wear over the Christmas period, they looked decorative enough without being over the top. Have looked several times since but they no longer seem to sell anything similar.

Norah Wed 14-Dec-22 13:28:45

Joseanne

Marydoll

Now why didn't I think of that? Thank you. Saves traipsing them round the houses.

We do the same. Indoor shoes at each of our daughters' homes.

Saves remembering. We're usually leaving over in a hurry, somebody needs something that only a GP can accomplish. grin

Yes, our family is ridiculous, but lovely.

VB000 Wed 14-Dec-22 16:10:58

Norah

Joseanne

Marydoll

We do the same. Indoor shoes at each of our daughters' homes.

Saves remembering. We're usually leaving over in a hurry, somebody needs something that only a GP can accomplish. grin

Yes, our family is ridiculous, but lovely.

Always keep a soft folding pair of slippers in the bottom of my travel bag, for weekends away, family visits etc. They're always there so I don't forget! Sorry they're not very glam for the OP though.

OnwardandUpward Wed 14-Dec-22 16:22:16

Germans have got it right because arch support is so important for those of us with knee or hip problems.

Sole Bliss is a bit more expensive than I'd prefer to pay, but I have so many shoes that I can't justify buying more.

Yammy Wed 14-Dec-22 17:01:51

I have a selection of ballet-type flats. Boden is good for them Carvela. I take what is appropriate for the session. I also have a pair of fold-up velvet slippers with a big bow I think they were bought in the House of Fraser many moons ago they go with me as well. I take a 4 and a half ,not many half sizes these days so have trouble buying shoes or boots and snap them up when I see them. M&S do half sizes but as others say they shed.