Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Using make up for things they’re not meant to be used for….

(32 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 09-Jan-23 14:53:24

I read about using lipstick as blusher so I tried it today and I think it looks ok ( I don’t think I look like Aunt Sally!). I also read about using blusher as eye shadow and I tried using a blusher that I found too bronze for his time of year as eye shadow and I think that looks ok too. I’ve used taupe eyeshadow on my eyebrows for years now. Mind you my eyesight is awful these days and I might look awful!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Jan-23 14:57:40

I’m afraid I lack imagination or creativity and just use products for their intended purpose.

Jaxjacky Mon 09-Jan-23 15:12:46

A bright nail varnish is good for marking a door key in a bunch, mascara for touching up eyebrows.

Witzend Mon 09-Jan-23 15:17:33

I still use lipstick as blusher now and then, but am careful not to make the mistake I once did! I got one or two very funny looks - just as well I was just nipping up to the post - on return home realised that I’d forgotten to rub it in, so was wearing two red spots like a clown! 😱

Sallymander Mon 09-Jan-23 15:24:37

A dot of nail varnish on the knobs on the gas hob in the camper van to mark the off position. Overzealous cleaning over the years had rubbed the originals off.

Zoejory Mon 09-Jan-23 15:26:21

I used mascara to conceal a scuff on my shoe. Worked a treat.

NotAGran55 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:11:26

Black nail varnish on scuffs on the heels of shoes.

Redhead56 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:19:59

That’s so funny Witzend! I have used eyeshadow to conceal marks on a table black nail varnish for shoe scuffs. I use a taupe eyeshadow pencil to create eyebrows as I have none.

Aldom Mon 09-Jan-23 16:20:49

A friend once bought several shades of red nail polish until she found the exact shade with which to paint out a small scratch on a hire car. She would otherwise have had to pay a large excess if the car had been returned with the scratch. It worked! smile

AreWeThereYet Mon 09-Jan-23 16:20:57

I use eyeshadow for my eyebrows too, and lipstick as blusher - there's a much wider range of colours in lipstick plus you can get a nice creamy one that gives a little bit of glow without looking shiny. I also use a bit of eyeshadow in my hairline where it's slightly uneven - you can buy stuff for that but as I've got a range of brown eyeshadows I don't see the point.

MerylStreep Mon 09-Jan-23 16:29:28

My mother showed me those tricks many years ago.
She was also the first one to pluck my eyebrows, ouch !!!

hollysteers Mon 09-Jan-23 16:37:35

I use black nail varnish for lots of things, scuffed black heels etc.

MayBee70 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:39:09

Witzend

I still use lipstick as blusher now and then, but am careful not to make the mistake I once did! I got one or two very funny looks - just as well I was just nipping up to the post - on return home realised that I’d forgotten to rub it in, so was wearing two red spots like a clown! 😱

So you did look like Aunt Sally!

hollysteers Mon 09-Jan-23 16:39:19

My comment a repeat!

MayBee70 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:42:52

Redhead56

That’s so funny Witzend! I have used eyeshadow to conceal marks on a table black nail varnish for shoe scuffs. I use a taupe eyeshadow pencil to create eyebrows as I have none.

I have no eyebrows either. I’m tempted to have something semi permanent done but scared that they might do something that looks awful that I’m stuck with. Many people seem to have eyebrows that look quite alarming these days. I don’t want to look like Joan Crawford.

rubysong Mon 09-Jan-23 18:49:14

Would those who use eyeshadow for their eyebrows please tell me how to do it? Do you use a stencil or just brush it on?

1987H2001M2002Inanny Mon 09-Jan-23 18:58:46

I used to use a lipstick to draw a heart on the bathroom mirror for my husband to find.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Mon 09-Jan-23 19:02:45

An old tip...clear nail varnish to stop a ladder running on tights.

AskAlice Mon 09-Jan-23 19:14:00

I don't wear eye shadow much anymore apart from "special occasions" but I do use them as an eyeliner mixed with water (the powder ones) and it is nice and subtle using a fine paint brush and lasts for the day. It just defines my eyes as I don't use mascara.

MayBee70 Mon 09-Jan-23 19:26:24

rubysong

Would those who use eyeshadow for their eyebrows please tell me how to do it? Do you use a stencil or just brush it on?

I’ve got eyebrow powder that I bought years ago that I use with a brush that came with it. Annoyingly I used to have a make up brush that would have been perfect for it but I’ve lost it. I want to go even lighter, though, which is why I’m looking at using eye shadow.

Nannagarra Mon 09-Jan-23 20:12:27

Could a washed mascara wand be used to apply your eyebrow powder, MayBee70?

CanadianGran Mon 09-Jan-23 21:40:43

When I was still colouring my hair, I would sometimes use brown eye-shadow to dull down my grey roots showing along my part. I've stopped colouring during lockdown and am enjoying my grey hair.

toscalily Tue 10-Jan-23 08:30:51

I have used gold nail varnish which I got as a freebie for some Christmas decorations, worked a treat on some fir cones. Have also used lipstick as blusher, but not too much grin

Lollin Tue 17-Jan-23 08:33:02

Insulation tape to mend a broken branch on a garden bush. the following summer I was delighted to find it was growing as normal.

Lollin Tue 17-Jan-23 08:33:49

Oops! I should have re read the title!