Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you remember what your first items of make-up were? (Not sure if this has been discussed before)

(67 Posts)
AskAlice Tue 10-Jan-23 19:25:11

When I was 15, one of my Christmas presents from my Mum and Dad was some make-up. This was a total surprise as they were both very anti make-up before that and forbade me to wear any, which I accepted, albeit grudgingly as most of my friends wore make-up out of school and I was a bit bullied because I could not join in with the latest trends.

I can still remember the names - a lipstick called "Frou Frou Pink" (can't remember the make, but it was the palest pink imaginable without being white) and a Max Factor powder compact in "Candle Glow" which was far too dark for me and made me look like an Oompah Loompah!

Does anyone else remember what their first make-up was?

MrsKen33 Tue 10-Jan-23 19:26:26

Cornsilk lipstick and a big black kohl pencil for my eyes . 1960

tanith Tue 10-Jan-23 19:27:59

Pan stick, black eye liner, blue eye shadow and mascara, oh my I must of looked a right sight 🤡

JaneJudge Tue 10-Jan-23 19:31:33

blue eyeshadow smile
there was a little shop in our village and I used to save my pocket money and buy little bits every time I saved up

MerylStreep Tue 10-Jan-23 19:33:00

I don’t know the names as they would have been my mothers. She was very glamorous and had it all.

Ailidh Tue 10-Jan-23 19:41:07

Deep blue eyeshadow and black mascara, for the vamp look. I was a wee, fat vamp but it felt good.

TillyTrotter Tue 10-Jan-23 19:45:41

Maybelline great lash mascara and Panda Eyes eyeshadows.
I don’t know why we wanted to look like Panda’s!

GagaJo Tue 10-Jan-23 19:47:05

Mascara. I also put it on my eyebrows. I was a trend setter!

Lexisgranny Tue 10-Jan-23 20:00:08

Pale turquoise eyeshadow (and a rose pink lipstick) to match a sack dress (If anyone remembers those) that I wore to a party in 1960. This was the first ‘officially approved by my mother’ makeup, but I did have a small stash (that fitted into a pocket, naturally), that had been in use away from home for over a year before. Shall we say I would not have got away with it had she known. I was amazed she agreed to the eyeshadow.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 10-Jan-23 20:06:26

My friend bought some Rimmel ‘liquid make up’, as it was called then, from the shop in the village and shared it with me. My parents were not amused.

AreWeThereYet Tue 10-Jan-23 20:10:48

Pale green creamy eyeshadow bought with my pocket money that was then confiscated by my mother the first time I wore it. She wore no makeup at all and saw no reason for me to wear it. I think I was about 17 and working before I could get away with it without comment. Even then I would get told to 'wash your face before you show it outside' when I had the full works for an evening out 😄

Georgesgran Tue 10-Jan-23 20:22:10

Pan stick everywhere, especially over the lips, then black panda eyes. My hair was long, dark and parted down the middle - I looked like a disciple of Morticia Adams!

Millie22 Tue 10-Jan-23 20:39:26

I think there was a make up range called Miners and I had an eye shadow. I used to wear nail polish at school and would be told to remove it.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Jan-23 20:40:06

I remember staying at a friends house when I was still at primary school. I thought they were so glamorous because they’d been moved into a flat with an inside toilet and bathroom. Her older sister had white pearl nail varnish and I thought it was the most sophisticated thing ever. A teacher at school took me to one side and told me I’d look much better without the thick make up I was wearing which, I think, was pan stick and white lipstick. And I still remember a magazine I had (Petticoat?) that had a picture of a model wearing a beautiful silvery pink lipstick; I can see it now. I thought Jean Shrimpton was the most beautiful person in the world (still do!) and the model looked a lot like her. I spoke to a neighbour from my childhood who told me my mum went ballistic when she gave me some make up but I don’t remember that. Lipstick used to come in three colours didn’t it? Red, Coral and Pink.

Ro60 Tue 10-Jan-23 20:48:11

in the early 70's my lovely Aunt gave me a red compact for Christmas when I was about 11 years old - 2 green, with white and cream high-lighters. I remember it so well - a most treasured possession - along side a sample size of - Real Grown-up perfume she'd given me the year before. Hardly used it but I loved it.

Yammy Tue 10-Jan-23 20:50:59

An eye shadow called seascape grape probably Max factor. Rimmel blue mascara that mum bought when I asked her then had a fit when I wore it. Boots No seven foundation 7 shades too dark, DH who I knew but was not going out with at the time said I looked like an Indian squaw he's always been to the point I did. Mary Quant lipstick in a tin that you applied with a brush and was really pale and a Mary Quant blush stick bought on a school trip to Stradford..

Sara1954 Tue 10-Jan-23 20:52:11

We used to save our pocket money and buy bits and pieces in Woolworths, I think the make was Yvette.
We lived in a small town and that was the only place that sold makeup I think.

Ro60 Tue 10-Jan-23 20:57:46

The first try at at wearing make-up was blue eyeshadow - which we all wore at school - despite my eyes being Brown - & the teachers constant battle for us to remove it
Add to.that, for Youth Club - Sally Hansen's pale green iridescent nail varnish😱

Casdon Tue 10-Jan-23 20:58:25

My parents had some friends who were quite cool, and Auntie Barbara (not a real auntie!) gave me a set of Mary Quant nail varnishes when I was 14. I can still see them in my minds eye, round bottles with a silver top with a flower - they were bright red, purple and dark red. I didn’t have any remover though, I can remember scratching the varnish off with my fingernails before school as we weren’t allowed to wear nail varnish.

M0nica Tue 10-Jan-23 21:11:12

Powder and lipstick. Around 1959/60.

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 21:15:19

Mascara, the cake type with separate brush.

Suki70 Tue 10-Jan-23 22:13:35

A Tangee lipstick in a lovely natural shade and a block mascara .

Mancjules Tue 10-Jan-23 22:16:10

Kohl eyeliner from Biba...thought I was the bees knees grin

Kate1949 Tue 10-Jan-23 22:24:08

As some people have mentioned, Miners makeup, block mascara that we used to spit on (sorry). Me and my friend Sandra had black Dusty Springfield eyes, lipstick so pale that it looked white. Hairspray that came in a tube and you poured it into a squeezy bottle and squirted it onto your backcombed hair to make it rock solid.

CanadianGran Tue 10-Jan-23 23:03:56

A roller-tube of gloss, I believe it was flavoured. This was in the mid 70's. Really, it was clear gloss, so not makeup really. I think maybe I ventured on to mascara next, but that was about it until the 80's.