Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

For those of you with grey white silver locks

(61 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Mar-23 16:29:00

Please can I have some recommendations for the best shampoo for grey hair, I’m growing mine through and doing well. Quite excited really although only been three months, apparently grey hair can go yellow! I didn’t realise that being a brunette,

HeavenLeigh Thu 09-Mar-23 19:29:03

No I don’t think my thread title is a bit twee! Maw! Actually I think it’s Hairlarious! Maybe it would help if you Lighten up a bit. It’s a question. Jeez !

MawtheMerrier Thu 09-Mar-23 19:46:24

If I lightened up any more I'd be airborne!
Just happen to dislike clichés and tweeness - my prerogative I think.

MawtheMerrier Thu 09-Mar-23 19:47:48

PS what colour is "grey white silver" anyway?

HeavenLeigh Fri 10-Mar-23 16:53:17

You are getting very boring now Maw! Everyone else has answered my questions with respect! But you obviously would like an argument, bring it on! Zzzzzzzzz

BlueBalou Fri 10-Mar-23 16:56:27

I use Trèsemme deep cleansing shampoo and never use conditioner.
Occasionally I use a ‘blue’ shampoo but not regularly.
I think yellowing can be due to build up of hair mousse or hairspray.

HeavenLeigh Fri 10-Mar-23 17:01:25

Thanks for that BlueBalou hopefully I will be ok then as I don’t use mousse or hairspray

LauraNorderr Fri 10-Mar-23 17:04:26

I have to ‘tong’ my curly fringe to stop it looking like a loo brush. My fringe is more yellow than the rest so I agree that burning it with a hot dryer or hot tongs is the culprit.
I quite like the blonde/yellow bits that frame my face.
I did try purple shampoo but as my hair began to show signs of lilacness I gave up, it was more aging.

Sassanach512 Fri 10-Mar-23 19:04:39

It seems that Maw wasn't very 'merry' yesterday Heaven hmm rest assured your wording was fine and everyone else got what you were saying flowers

HeavenLeigh Fri 10-Mar-23 19:51:47

It actually started on Sunday 5th, and continued for several days, all very silly, but hey there’s always one isn’t there Sassanach512, 🤣🤣

Sassanach512 Fri 10-Mar-23 21:26:48

Sure is 😂

Parsley3 Sat 11-Mar-23 09:35:07

I used to pay to have blond highlights but now that my hair is white I will never be Goldilocks again. I hate it when I get those yellow tinges due to the heat from straightners or the sun and I use any brand of purple shampoo to get rid of it. I found a solid purple bar from Lush which I had forgotten about in a cupboard yesterday and will give that another go.

Calendargirl Sat 11-Mar-23 09:42:14

Re the thread title.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

The previous post to mine mentions ‘Goldilocks’.

Now ‘Goldihair’ would sound awful, wouldn’t it?

Not half so pretty.

aggie Sat 11-Mar-23 09:49:53

To be honest I sniggered at the title ! Sorry 😣

rafichagran Sat 11-Mar-23 10:07:47

Why does a perfectly reasonable thread title, spoil what is a perfectly reasonable question, no need for anyone to come on a thread like this and try to disrupt it.
I am interested in the answers to the OP question, I have kept my natural dark brown hair, but I have 6 blond highlights put it. I use the Phillip Kingsley for blond hair once a week and it keeps my blond highlights looking lovely and fresh.

henetha Sat 11-Mar-23 10:17:21

My hair has been white for ages. I just use any shampoo and do vary it a bit as I once read that the hair benefits from a change of shampoo sometimes. Not sure why.
I do use conditioner now and then. It helps get rid of that straw like feeling.
I quite enjoy putting a few pink streaks in it too. Occasionally.

henetha Sat 11-Mar-23 10:19:17

PS. I think the key to having nice locks is not to wash it toooo
often. grin

aquagran Sat 11-Mar-23 10:22:24

Purple shampoo…Milkshake…leave it on, purple tinge, trendy!

Parsley3 Sat 11-Mar-23 10:36:45

Santa brought me some Philip Kingsley leave in conditioner and it is brilliant. I have thick hair that loves to frizz and this conditioner actually works.

Granny23 Sat 11-Mar-23 11:31:12

I was a blonde baby and child but in my teens my hair darkened to a very boring mousy brown. Left school on the Friday, started work on the Monday as a bleached blonde. Apart from during pregnancies, I remained pale blonde into my 70s.Meanwhile all my relatives on my Mother's side developed lovely snowy white hair at a youngish age. (Perhaps inevitable, when the family surname was Whyte!)

Then I broke my arm and was unable to apply the bleach so just let it be. Surprise, Surprise - my new growth was exactly the same pale blonde shade as the longer bleached hair. I do use John Frieda Blonde Highlighting shampoo and conditioner maybe once a week but don't think it makes much of a difference.

Usernametaken Sat 11-Mar-23 11:49:45

Try to use products with no parabens, silicones and other nasties as these are very drying. I love the Noughty range, plus their purple range for grey and white hair.

love noughty.co.uk

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 11:52:19

MawtheMerrier

PS what colour is "grey white silver" anyway?

This is my grey white silver hair grin

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 11:54:05

Usernametaken I love Noughty products too, they don’t irritate my sensitive scalp.

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 13:07:29

Whereas my tresses are just white

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 17:30:08

Maw I do wonder if my hair will eventually become a uniform white. I wouldn’t mind, but kind of hope not, as I like it having its own self made highlights! My natural colour was very dark brown but it contained many red strands so perhaps that is why it’s a mix of grey and silver shades now.

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 21:54:54

It is important to keep it shiny. I use a Moroccan Oil platinum conditioner and also a mist of Moroccan Oil shine spray after styling, so that it is silver rather than matte white.