Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

For those of you with grey white silver locks

(61 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Mar-23 16:29:00

Please can I have some recommendations for the best shampoo for grey hair, I’m growing mine through and doing well. Quite excited really although only been three months, apparently grey hair can go yellow! I didn’t realise that being a brunette,

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 22:12:38

Thanks Maw, I’ll remember that.

Mom3 Sun 12-Mar-23 00:06:49

I have been pleasantly surprised by how my hair is white like my dad's was when he was old.
It's white in front and sides, but sort of mousy salt and pepper in back. Are any of you like that? I have been cutting it myself since DH and I are still being careful about Covid. YouTube videos helped me learn how to slightly layer it. The outcome varies at times! Ha!
I look forward to going back to a salon eventually.

Marmight Sun 12-Mar-23 05:08:12

After using a very expensive shampoo recommended by my hairdresser for a number of years, I discovered A Touch of Silver. I use it every 7 to 10 days and it’s the only product which makes my hair feel ‘right’. I’ve had silver/white hair since my early 50’s and now Ive got to grips with not being dark any more, have come to love my hair colour

Elless Sun 12-Mar-23 10:42:21

I decided to grow my colour out about 18 months ago and was surprised to discover I only have a white fringe and a few white hairs running through the rest of my brown hair. I use John Frieda Defy Grey shampoo on it which is coloured shampoo and it has made my fringe blonde, I've had a lot of compliments on it. I have tried other brands of coloured shampoo but they all have too much red in them and make it go very ginger (no offense meant).

HeavenLeigh Wed 15-Mar-23 19:56:56

Rafichagran, agree with you, but you do get the odd one that likes to disrupt things don’t you. Awww bless🤣🙄 and I love your hair colour too Marmight, beautiful colour and style I’ve just bought touch of silver shampoo for my hair so looking forward to using it as more colour comes through,

Blueberrygran Wed 22-Mar-23 11:02:17

Blue Malva shampoo and conditioner from Aveda. Not every day, as it's quite expensive but I use it consecutively for 3 or 4 days (shampoo) and do a deep condition leaving the conditioner on under wrap and a towel for about an hour before going anywhere nice.😊 I've been going grey since I was 22 - I'm now 54 and have long, white grey hair. My son assures me that it's very distinguished (bless him)!

pascal30 Wed 22-Mar-23 11:39:07

Faith in Nature shampoo, organic no parabens..

NanaDana Wed 22-Mar-23 12:03:33

My hair is now white, and I've used a well-known baby shampoo for years. It doesn't sting my eyes, and is cheap compared to some of the so-called "wonder products" containing rare herbs from the remote Himalayas/ caffeine (gives your hair an energy boost?)/ cholesterol/collagen/you name it... Dermatologists advise that there's very little difference between high street brands and "designer" products, as they all basically do the same job. If you want to pay extra for a shampoo because you like the scent and the product suits you, fine, but if you're just looking for something to clean your hair efficiently, you don't need to buy premium price products to achieve that. Also, I've never needed or used a conditioner for my hair. Probably genetic, as I know my dear, late Mum had an impressive mane until the end of her days, and swore by Vosene. So, personal choice I guess, but I'll stick to my baby shampoo. The scent also brings back fond memories.

Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:28:01

Isn't hair weird! Despite being in my late 60s my hair is still brown, but it has started to go really curly! My DH has a mass of hair, very white at the front but grey at the back. He started to go grey in his very early 30s. My friend started to go grey in her early 20s . She always dyed it but decided to let it grow out during lockdown. It is a stunning colour, a beautiful soft grey.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Mar-23 19:21:34

My hair is white , long and curly, I gave up having it cut when the prices at our local hairdressers sent through the roof. I use a shampoo and conditioner for silver hair as it tends to brighten it and give a lovely shine