Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Post 70 Fashion: why does nothing in the shops fit me?

(59 Posts)
Gin Tue 02-May-23 12:48:54

I am well past my ‘ three score years and ten’ and find I have given up trying to find clothes that I like or fit. Those of us in this age bracket know that our body shape is not the same as it was. For example, in my case my waist has sort of merged into my hips, I have shrunk so that now even short length is too long and I am not as slender as un earlier years. I cannot wear heels and I like to cover my saggy arms. I find I dress in jeans, or jeggings most if the time because I cannot find anything that fits properly.
I wish there were labels that catered for the likes of me! Any suggestions? On-line is a disaster, jumpers down to my knees trousers that fit round the waist but hips like a clowns outfit. The last pair were short length but although leg was short the gusset came half way to me knees so I really need help.

Foxygloves Tue 02-May-23 13:02:09

Absolutely!
If only manufacturers would take this on board!
I particularly like slits in the sides of tops/jumpers/ T shirts. Plus recognition that my rib cage area seems to have expanded so tops must not fit around my middle.
I only ever seem to find jeans to fit and long for the smart trousers which used to form the backbone of my wardrobe. Jeans are fine, but just sometimes I’d like to look a bit smarter.
And shoes/boots!
I don’t want them decorated with leather flowers or cut outs or metallic or in “trendy” colours certainly not pastels, but show me a smart pair of ankle boots, shoe-boots or converse-type trainers and I am happy (and safe)
I know we buy less clothing than the youngsters so presumably there is not the profit margin there is in “younger” clothes but how I long to design for my age group.

Caramme Tue 02-May-23 13:21:08

My pet gripe is that stores that sell clothes I like often provide trousers, jeans, etc in a choice leg lengths so different heights are catered for. So why can’t they do the same for tops. I am 5’7”, not that tall these days, but the norm of 25 ins barely reaches my waist, or where it used to be. It is not a flattering look for me.

teabagwoman Tue 02-May-23 16:40:21

With you all the way especially the problem with trousers. I’ve come to hate buying clothes and would love to have some smart ones.

SachaMac Tue 02-May-23 17:01:06

I have found it’s skirts that are more difficult to wear as I’ve got older, I used to have a tiny waist but sadly it is no more!! I tend to go for dresses now as they fit better. I would really like a nice denim skirt for spring, as a change from jeans. I did see a lady doing a try on of one on from Marks on You Tube the other day and it looked good. Many of the tops currently in the shops seem very boxy & short which I don’t want.

rosie1959 Tue 02-May-23 17:07:54

I find Jersey garments are very forgiving lots of dresses about in this fabric. I usually go for Boden Seasalt or whitestuff
Separates are sometimes better as you can have a different size top to bottom. I choose skirts with a bit of give in the waist so I can go for a smaller size so not baggy on my hips.
I am quite short so find a mini length is usually around knee length on me.
Never wear midi length it just makes me look short and squat unless I am wearing heals

rosie1959 Tue 02-May-23 17:11:54

SachaMac

I have found it’s skirts that are more difficult to wear as I’ve got older, I used to have a tiny waist but sadly it is no more!! I tend to go for dresses now as they fit better. I would really like a nice denim skirt for spring, as a change from jeans. I did see a lady doing a try on of one on from Marks on You Tube the other day and it looked good. Many of the tops currently in the shops seem very boxy & short which I don’t want.

I have a brilliant denim skirt from Crew Clothing it has stretch I think it was called Remi I have it in denim and pink

SachaMac Tue 02-May-23 17:19:14

I will check those out, thanks Rosie1959

Siope Tue 02-May-23 18:06:46

M&S have some nice wide leg jersey trousers, in both short and extra short. Extra short is right for a 5ft person in flat shoes.

www.marksandspencer.com/jersey-wide-leg-trousers-with-stretch/p/clp60506499?intid=mobile_app_pdp_share

BlueBelle Tue 02-May-23 18:11:59

Siope but all in winter colours

JaneJudge Tue 02-May-23 18:25:56

Siope

M&S have some nice wide leg jersey trousers, in both short and extra short. Extra short is right for a 5ft person in flat shoes.

www.marksandspencer.com/jersey-wide-leg-trousers-with-stretch/p/clp60506499?intid=mobile_app_pdp_share

seasalt also do something similar smile

www.seasaltcornwall.com/lazy-bone-wide-leg-loungwear-trousers?glCountry=GB&glCurrency=GBP&color=19510&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6cKiBhD5ARIsAKXUdyYRkT9qiEnIZu2iJrNFxNWnSISRAiyC_OWQLGGfkvZcxvZMOK75p2oaAh3jEALw_wcB

I must admit though I don't think you can beat Sainsburys TU range, they seem to have something for everyone and it is such good value.

rosie1959 Tue 02-May-23 18:31:36

T596907 product no
Not good at links but these trousers from M&S are very forgiving and look smart despite being Jersey but they are too heavy weight for summer
I usually wear a 16 but can get away with a 14 so they are not baggy on the bum and legs
I also have some of the jersey printed tapered trousers very jazzy but comfortable

ginny Tue 02-May-23 21:50:57

I find it difficult to get longer jumpers / sweaters. So many come just below my waist and I like them to get at least to the top of my legs. Tunics are too long.

Siope Tue 02-May-23 22:31:27

BlueBelle

Siope but all in winter colours

True for those - I think the 12 year long winter has convinced m summer clothes are pointless.

They do, in fact, have loads of other wide leg trousers available in short/petite, but not extra short, in linen mix, crepe, and cotton, in various summery shades - I have cream, and pale blue linen mix pairs, but I did have to turn the blue pair up.

V3ra Tue 02-May-23 22:46:07

rosie1959

T596907 product no
Not good at links but these trousers from M&S are very forgiving and look smart despite being Jersey but they are too heavy weight for summer
I usually wear a 16 but can get away with a 14 so they are not baggy on the bum and legs
I also have some of the jersey printed tapered trousers very jazzy but comfortable

www.marksandspencer.com/jersey-straight-leg-trousers/p/clp60461069?intid=mobile_app_pdp_share

Gin Tue 02-May-23 23:55:28

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will go to the big Marks in MK and exhaust myself trying trousers on. I did not know they did an extra short. I find that it is difficult to find my size 14/16, easy to get on line but not in store presumably because there are not many shorties like me around!

At 5 ft I am not sure wide legged styles will suit but I will give them a try. I had to wear wide ones when I broke my foot and looked very dumpy.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 03-May-23 10:01:54

M&S also do slim leg jersey trousers which I find very comfortable. They are ankle grazers so would be normal length on someone very short. I find slim leg better than straight or wide. Like most women as we get older, my waist and stomach are bigger, but my rear is smaller and my legs have always been thin. Slim leg trousers means you don't have all the extra material in the wrong place as you do with wider trousers.

I also find that sleeves are too long and lots of dresses sweep the floor these days. I think these clothes are designed for the taller, young people.

There are thousands of older women with money to buy clothes so shops are missing an opportunity to make money by not making clothes to fit us.

Siope Wed 03-May-23 15:39:19

Gin you can look at M&S online and check whether a local branch has what you want. If not, I order free click and collect to that branch, and then try things on then and there.

annodomini Wed 03-May-23 16:37:23

It's not so much trousers that have annoyed me this week. I spent a good half hour (it felt like more) searching M&S for a cardigan - a casual one that I could wear any time and anywhere. The ones I fancied all had hoods. What is it about these hoods? How many of us ever put the hood up if we have somehow acquired a hoodie? I have two nice sweaters which are great for wearing all winter and under coats, but don't know what to do with their attached hoods - over or under my coat's collar? Some shopping centres are banning the wearing of hoods where they are presumably meant to be worn - over the head. Please, where can I buy a zip-up cardie without a hood?

Coco51 Thu 04-May-23 14:25:30

My gripe is ugly bras - I can’t wear wired cups and have to have front fastening because my shoulders are too painful to do up round the back. Doing up in the front and pulling to the back ruins the supporting band. Being well-endowed I can only get boring black/white/beige Glamorise and their ‘Magic lift’ doesn’t do the job very well

Bluedaisy Thu 04-May-23 14:32:57

Try SOSIMPLY.com for trousers they are available in all widths, lengths and styles.

Gundy Thu 04-May-23 14:39:05

Online shopping is a disaster - unless you have a brand that you wear repeatedly, then you know your size and how it will fit. That goes for dresses, sweaters, tops, pants, etc.

That also goes for shoes! Some brands narrower or wider or the arch is not right for you. When you find a perfect fit, buy a 2nd color!

We don’t always have time to try on in the stores… returning things are a chore; sending back online purchases a nuisance.
I make an effort to try on in the store to eliminate that.

Aside from that - I have always said - if everyone had a three way mirror at home we’d probably amp up the walking/exercises and eat a little less.
Looking good!
USA Gundy

Marjgran Thu 04-May-23 14:43:37

I feel your pain. Sahara - layers or lovely dresses and tights or leggings - masai - similar. Seasalt. Good luck!

jocork Thu 04-May-23 15:05:20

I didn't know M&S did extra short trousers. I always buy short but still have to shorten them. I have numerous pairs on hangers waiting to be shortened which I haven't got round to!
My favourite trousers have recently become too big as I lost a lot of weight so I ended up keep rolling the waistband over. Now I've turned the waist band over inside and stitched in place and they fit much better.
I need to investigate their smaller sizes and look for extra short - when I'm allowed out as currently confined to the house with Covid. Perhaps I should use the enforced confinement to shorten some of the trousers I already have - if they still fit!

Jac53 Thu 04-May-23 15:19:05

I tried Stitch Fix for a while, an online personal shopping company. I bought a few items which I have worn again and again. Now though I have turned to Boho fashion, kimono tops that tie to suit your shape, long skirts with shirring at the waist, wear high or low (I'm 5ft 7ins and 16/18), wrap dresses, coatigans, cropped trousers etc.