Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Style inspiration 70+

(163 Posts)
Greyisnotmycolour Sun 15-Oct-23 12:34:33

Can I ask you which sites/shops you use for fashion and styling inspiration? So many sites for "older women" are aimed at 50yrs, even Gransnet does this. It's 20 yrs since I was 50 and I am in need of a new look. Any suggestions ?

TwiceAsNice Sun 15-Oct-23 13:06:01

What kind of clothes/styles do you like? I don’t think about age when I buy clothes I just buy what I like and what I feel comfortable in/ think I look nice in.

I’m 70 and my only restriction since when I was younger is a back condition which means I can’t wear heels safely anymore. Otherwise anything goes and I love colour. My observation is a lot of older people wear dark neutrals or even worse Beige !

Take an old friend shopping and try on lots of things

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 15-Oct-23 13:29:30

I would run a mile from a shop or website aimed at ‘older women’. I’m 72 and still wear the sort of clothes I wore 30-odd years ago. Just wear whatever you like which suits your colouring and figure, age has nothing to do with it.

KGee Sun 15-Oct-23 13:35:08

I’m also 70 and had a very positive experience with a personal shopping appointment at John Lewis. I bought a few pieces I would not have tried and felt more modern and stylish. Had lots of compliments too. People in the street commented on my orange linen jacket. No cost and no obligation to buy. You can bring a friend with you if you like. Highly recommend.

Bella23 Sun 15-Oct-23 13:45:59

I look at what my DD's are wearing then tone it down. It usually works except when DH said I looked like "Nursing Home Chic". All the clothes had been bought by DD's but obviously did not suit my figure 3 sizes bigger than theirs.
He wished he hadn't said anything when a lot was donated to the Air ambulance and a bill arrived for the substitutes.smile

M0nica Mon 16-Oct-23 15:41:38

Age has absolutely nothing to do with how you dress. Just buy clothes you like anywhere. As for the GN section on clothes for the over 50s....... I do not think it has been changed since first posted at least 5 years ago and I think the clothes they show are, quite frankly, horrible, I wouldn't be seen dead in them - at any age.

I am 80, I have no problem buying clothes at any mainstream clothing retailer, although i do find M&S a bit mumsy. and safe.

I think the problem is that the OP cannot find the kind of clothes she like wearing in the shops or online and assumes it is an age thing.

It would probably be easier if she could tell us the kind of clothes she is looking for and then we can point her to sites that have that style of clothing.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Oct-23 15:46:36

No I m 78 and look for whatever’s in style for average ladies obviously not mini skirts and crop tops 😂😂😂 M&S a bit frumpy
I use New Look, Matalan, Roman and others and lots of charity shops for more expensive ranges 🙃

Gin Mon 16-Oct-23 15:51:49

Im am no spring chicken and am hesitant at buying on line as at five foot I find most clothes too long, particularly knitwear. I hate shopping in stores as I find trying on clothes in elbow jabbing cubicles very exhausting, leaving me a crabby old lady!

I have just been looking at Lighthouse, an Irish fashion house, it looks good and wondered if any if you lively ladies have bought from them.

NanKate Mon 16-Oct-23 15:54:42

I’m 77 and have upped the colour in my wardrobe. We have some fab charity shops in my town, where the rich women donate their clothes and I buy them.

Here’s a jacket I bought recently which I realise is not to everyone’s taste but I have got to an age that I don’t care what others think. It cost me £12.00 It’s for special occasions.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Oct-23 15:57:40

Love it NanKate

Alice75 Mon 16-Oct-23 15:58:43

I love clothes, but haven’t been enamoured with many clothes shops recently. I’ve turned to Vinted where I’ve managed to buy a fair amount for very little cost (see the pics - total cost £26). I bought two items that weren’t suitable, but managed to re-sell them.

NanKate Mon 16-Oct-23 16:06:11

This is rather pretty too, it was £10 and I saw it new for £100+ 😳 I should have removed the other top under this one on this photo.

NanKate Mon 16-Oct-23 16:07:21

I like your choice Alice. Very groovy the grey biker jacket. 👍

Alice75 Mon 16-Oct-23 18:22:34

Thanks, NanKate - the jacket hasn’t arrived yet, hope it fits and looks ok smile - but for £8, it won’t be a disaster if it doesn’t! Your floral jacket is lovely - you could wear it casual, or dressed up.

annab275 Mon 16-Oct-23 18:44:45

Alice75

I love clothes, but haven’t been enamoured with many clothes shops recently. I’ve turned to Vinted where I’ve managed to buy a fair amount for very little cost (see the pics - total cost £26). I bought two items that weren’t suitable, but managed to re-sell them.

I love eBay - I have trawled through sites and found everything either too expensive or uninspired. A local store (now closed) used to sell Eastex but I dismissed the brand as being for old ladies, but now I am 70 I have rediscovered them. I bought a navy a line skirt by Eastex for £3 in a charity shop, having not worn a skirt for years and paired it with a blue and white striped top and a cute navy jacket/cardi. I felt put together for once! I have found a lovely Eastex black,white and lime blouse (vintage) and wore this with a mohair green jumper and black cords. I am enjoying the challenge of getting away from jeans and Seasalt!

Alice75 Mon 16-Oct-23 18:51:41

They sound good buys for you, annab - I like lime green and black. I personally find Seasalt quite frumpy - and certainly ubiquitous!

MrsKen33 Mon 16-Oct-23 19:10:30

I am 78 and quite tall.
I buy mostly from Seasalt, toast ( in their sale) or for underwear M& S, I have also bought some extremely good stuff from eBay, including a Loden coat last year.

Alice75 Tue 17-Oct-23 07:35:30

OP, are you tall / short, what size are you? Do you love being out walking in the country / are you a homebody? Do you have childcare duties / do you work part time? I guess such things will affect what you wear? Do you like colour / pattern?

M0nica Tue 17-Oct-23 08:37:36

The other problem, looking at the clothes in the photographs, is that it isn't just the clothes, it is how you look in them and what you match them with. - and also your posture and demeanour.

It is not uncommon for me, DDiL(53) and DGD(16) and me to be dressed in much the same clothes, leggings or stretch trousers and a loose top, but each with our differences. Bothe DDiL and DGd will be wearing DMs, I will be wearing chunky loafers or ankle boots, DDiL will be in black or other dark colours, I will have colour in what I am wearing, DGD will be wearing a top not dissimilar to mine. We all look fine.

Marydoll Tue 17-Oct-23 08:46:59

At 68, I find brands like White Stuff and Seasalt suit my shape.
Today I am wearing a Monsoon jumper dress for the first time, it needs a inch off it! I have shrunk to 5ft, but if I cannot find what I like in petite, I just take up the sleeves and hem.

NemosMum Tue 17-Oct-23 11:24:39

Seasalt - all shapes and sizes. Some really eye-catching, some not, but plenty to choose from in everyday wear.

Milest0ne Tue 17-Oct-23 11:26:41

Look at the presenters on Rip Off Britain. I always admire their style.

9228pauline Tue 17-Oct-23 11:27:27

oooh! where do you live? Love the jacket.

aonk Tue 17-Oct-23 11:27:41

This is an interesting thread and so nice to see ladies taking trouble with their clothes whatever their age. I’d like to ask if anyone can recommend some smart, fashionable but comfortable trousers please? I have IBS and have occasional bloating. Also any ideas on shoes? I’ve got a couple of occasions this Winter and will need smart black shoes as modern as possible but also need them to be comfortable. In the Summer I wear sandals or trainers which are easier to find. Ideally I’d like something with a small heel that makes me look “dressed up.”

Mallin Tue 17-Oct-23 11:27:57

MrsKen: if you like M&S underwear get over to Matalan or if you have non common bra size, their on line site. Same quality and well under half the price. M&S are finished as a shop due to overpricing and poor quality frumpy crimplene type clothes. ( I’m nearly 80 and stopped buying their knickers in the 80’, when they started putting the crutch in the wrong place for a woman’s anatomy )