Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mindful shopping - when you know exactly what you want -but

(65 Posts)
Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 18:40:36

I’ve had a picture in mind of my next bag for a while, so this afternoon I decided to find it, and order it. I wanted an everyday, leather, cross body, chestnut brown, saddle bag style bag big enough to take my purse, phone, house and car keys, pen etc. - so between 22cm and 25cm wide, with a phone pocket. Too much to ask! After two hours searching every potential website thrown up by Google and several others, I’ve found a compromise but I feel like I’ve run a mental marathon.

Is it just me - I don’t think I’m that fussy, but I always seem to want the one thing that eludes me.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-Oct-23 18:43:33

Depending on your budget but Aspinal of London have what you describe

midgey Sat 21-Oct-23 18:45:45

If that’s out of budget try Makers Markets or Farmers markets, they often have handmade leather bags at reasonable prices.

LucyAnna Sat 21-Oct-23 18:45:54

This sort of thing?

www.wolfandbadger.com/uk/vida-vintage-leather-saddle-bag-medium/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=-&adgroupid=&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPSl3diHggMVdY1QBh2FIQ-zEAQYAiABEgLHOfD_BwE

LucyAnna Sat 21-Oct-23 18:49:17

Or this?

www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Leather-Crossbody-Shoulder-Handmade/dp/B09YVJ1FVV?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1&ref_=fplfs&source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&tag=gransnetforum-21

Jaxjacky Sat 21-Oct-23 19:09:57

I’ve been looking at handbags too Casdon to show MrJ for my Christmas list. I’m after a shoulder tote, narrowed it down to 2, it does make your head hurt though!

Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 19:16:27

Sadly no, the Aspinall saddle bag doesn’t come in brown or tan, and the Wolf and Badger one is too big. The Urban leather one doesn’t specify a size, but it looks smaller? I’ve ordered the Barbour Laire eventually, that was the nearest I could find.

The reason I posted really wasn’t to ask for solutions to my problem but to ask if anybody else has the same issues because they have very specific requirements in mind but can never find what they want?

Casdon Sat 21-Oct-23 19:21:12

I’m glad it’s not just me Jaxjacky!

Jaxjacky Sat 21-Oct-23 19:55:39

No it’s not Casdon I need compartments inside, a secure zip inside and secure closing across the top, in green, or with touches of green.
This is one of them.

Joseann Sat 21-Oct-23 20:50:18

I love the quest. It requires stamina and sticking power.

This bag?

Joseann Sat 21-Oct-23 20:52:00

Yes, I prefer the shape of the Barbour one.

Pittcity Sat 21-Oct-23 22:12:53

I often have the same problem and end up empty handed.
On the other hand, I usually find just the thing when I'm shopping for something else.

Callistemon21 Sat 21-Oct-23 22:24:42

Casdon

Sadly no, the Aspinall saddle bag doesn’t come in brown or tan, and the Wolf and Badger one is too big. The Urban leather one doesn’t specify a size, but it looks smaller? I’ve ordered the Barbour Laire eventually, that was the nearest I could find.

The reason I posted really wasn’t to ask for solutions to my problem but to ask if anybody else has the same issues because they have very specific requirements in mind but can never find what they want?

Yes.
I have discovered that it's never a good idea to shop with something specific in mind.

It's taken me a long time 🙂

The other thing is to buy something you like when you see it - if you dither it won't be available when you have decided that you really need it.

LadyGaGa Sat 21-Oct-23 23:03:23

I feel your pain. I’ve discovered that there is no such thing as the perfect handbag. I covet each one I buy and organise it in my mind before I buy it. I’m certain I’ll never need another …… until I realise it’s not quite perfect, and the quest continues…😂

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Oct-23 01:05:57

I can look and look for what I like and generally find it ..
but always seem to pick out a terribly expensive version as "favourite" and so find I have to compromise.

It's not just online though...
I can easily pick out the most expensive item on a rail of clothes without any effort or the most expensive tiles for or wallpaper or (even) the most expensive bricks from a reclaim yard for a bloomin' shed!

Sometimes I do without for years because I have an idea in my head and have found something perfect but unaffordable.

Casdon Sun 22-Oct-23 13:22:52

That bag is lovely Jaxjacky, I’d guess green bags that are exactly what you want are even harder to find than tan ones!

I think LadyGaGa is right, the perfect bag doesn’t exist, although we keep trying. When I’ve regathered my strength I’m going to look for some smart navy trainers which will accommodate wide feet with a bunion on one foot only - it’s like seeking the Holy Grail.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Oct-23 13:27:24

Apologies - I hadn't really clocked that this was a "handbag" thread!

Georgesgran Sun 22-Oct-23 13:29:35

You’ve set me thinking Casdon that I might take a trip to the Barbour factory, sooner rather than later! It’s not too far away from me and as well as a full-price perfect selection, there’s an enormous factory shop of slight seconds - a man on a galloping horse wouldn’t be able to spot the fault.

Marrion Sun 22-Oct-23 13:31:22

Have you looked at ECCO shoes/trainers? Well worth looking at, soft, stylish and very comfortable.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Oct-23 16:15:34

Made for bunions:
solebliss.com/collections/trainers

Theexwife Sun 22-Oct-23 16:33:37

When I am searching for a specific item I use image search rather than trawling every site.

TillyTrotter Sun 22-Oct-23 16:43:26

Sole bliss have some beautiful trainers but out of my price range. Why are they so expensive?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-Oct-23 17:00:54

I wish all clothes shopping was done mindfully. We have had a thread recently which shows it’s often buying for the sake of buying. I’m not an old curmudgeon, nor am I strapped for cash, but I think very carefully before buying anything - do I need it, how much wear will I get out of it, can I truly justify it? Every item of clothing I have - and there aren’t that many now that I’m retired- has had to justify its purchase.

TillyTrotter Sun 22-Oct-23 17:15:10

Your point is taken Germanshepherdsmum ,
but some of us may have grown up with wearing hand-me-downs from older sisters (I did) and take pleasure in choosing and buying clothes for myself now.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-Oct-23 17:41:10

I had some hand me downs from cousins (I was an only child) and all other clothes were made by my Mum until I went to secondary school and had a bought uniform. Buying clothes just didn’t feature in my young life either as my parents weren’t well off.