Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shower soap

(39 Posts)
coco12 Fri 10-Nov-23 07:28:10

Morning all. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a shower product that smells great and lasts on the skin but isn't drying at the same time. A lot of them have very little lasting smell and run away when you pour them.
Thanks

lemsip Fri 10-Nov-23 07:45:08

I use Dove soap bar. lovely gentle smell and recommended by my Dermatologist. I like the hand size bar of soap as opposed to bottle of liquid gels.

Georgesgran Fri 10-Nov-23 07:58:59

L’occitane almond oil range. (It doesn’t smell of marzipan)

denbylover Fri 10-Nov-23 08:03:48

Another tick for Dove bar soap, doesn’t dry the skin and lovely gentle perfume.

Scribbles Fri 10-Nov-23 08:13:37

Fenjal Crème Body Wash

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Nov-23 08:42:06

Bar soap of any kind is so much less wasteful than any product in a plastic bottle. TK Maxx is a good source of triple milled soaps that seem a bit expensive but are worth it as they last really well. I’d agree with the recommendations for Dove too.

rubysong Fri 10-Nov-23 08:46:26

We use Pears soap in the shower. No plastic bottle and when the bar is nearly finished it fits into the new bar thanks to the 'dimple' in each bar, (if that makes sense). This means there is no waste.

welbeck Fri 10-Nov-23 08:51:27

dove is not actually soap, according to the legal definition.
if you examine the wrapper, the word soap does not appear.
not sure what it is, but i have a friend who uses it, and i noticed this when buying it for her.
i am used to scrutinising product information.

Witzend Fri 10-Nov-23 08:52:10

We still use bar soap, preferably one made with olive oil.

BigBertha1 Fri 10-Nov-23 10:07:18

I love Molten Brown and Occitane but they are expensive - Christmas is coming though.

coco12 Fri 10-Nov-23 13:28:02

I'm wondering about soap bars now.. we use them in the bathroom for the sink but haven't used in the shower. I have one from the yorkshire soap company at the moment and it's gorgeous so I might give that a try in the shower. Don't know why I ruled it out really.. visions of slippy bars maybe! But yes more eco friendly.
I too love Molton brown but yes a bit costly for everyday.
Fenjal cream I haven't tried, I shop in tesco and not sure I've seen it there..

JackyB Fri 10-Nov-23 13:36:00

I crocheted a little bag and I just put leftover bits of soap in it, to use up in the shower. I'm not really fussy what I use, so can't help OP. You can get ready made bags like this made of sisal for an exfoliating effect.

I am always itching and have tried various soap substitutes with neutral pH but it hasn't helped.

coco12 Fri 10-Nov-23 14:19:31

Don't have itching JackyB just very dry skin - may be thyroid related

Grannmarie Fri 10-Nov-23 14:28:07

I use Boots Sanctuary bar soap in the shower. It makes a super scented lather with a shower scrunchie mijig. A bar lasts for ages. I follow it up with Sanctuary body butter, cos I have dry skin, like coco12 maybe thyroid related.

PinkCosmos Fri 10-Nov-23 14:36:49

I wish they would bring back soap on a rope.

Siope Fri 10-Nov-23 15:17:19

Lots of places still do soap on a rope www.etsy.com/uk/market/soap_on_a_rope

For those who prefer shower gel but want to avoid plastic there is solid gel (which is apparently not soap!) www.merryandbright.co/beauty (there are other stockists including, at a pinch, Amazon)

PinkCosmos Fri 10-Nov-23 16:11:49

Thanks Siope, I will check them out.

Fleur20 Fri 10-Nov-23 16:44:20

Oliva olive oil soap... doesn't smell of olive oil..honest!
Lovely creamy suds.
Barely any perfume but is a great moisturiser.
Lasts for ages.. bulk by on amazon... wee bits can be collected in a sisal bag for use in the kitchen.... great for garden hands!

twiglet77 Fri 10-Nov-23 17:04:57

If anyone else has one of the little mesh bags that used to come with laundry tablets, they’re perfect for hanging soap in the shower and can be used to exfoliate at the same time.

lemsip Fri 10-Nov-23 17:05:35

welbeck you say dove is not actually a soap

that's why I wrote 'soap bar' and why dermatologist recommended it. hasn't the ingredients of a usual soap.

Elegran Fri 10-Nov-23 17:11:22

Gels tend to "stick" to the skin and it takes a lot of hot water to get rid of it. A mild hand wash is just as good in the shower as a gel, and doesn't need as much rinsing off.

Pixieboots Sat 11-Nov-23 17:03:47

Pinkcosmos - Chateau du Savon sell soap on a rope and they are lovely as are their bar soaps.

Bella23 Sat 11-Nov-23 18:48:34

lemsip

welbeck you say dove is not actually a soap

that's why I wrote 'soap bar' and why dermatologist recommended it. hasn't the ingredients of a usual soap.

I use the Dove bar recommended by Dermatologists,though my G.P. recommends only water "between the legs", hand holding the shower spray,then I use Dove for the rest of my body.

Baggs Sat 11-Nov-23 18:51:13

twiglet77

If anyone else has one of the little mesh bags that used to come with laundry tablets, they’re perfect for hanging soap in the shower and can be used to exfoliate at the same time.

If you want a 'scrubby' bag for handwashing, those plastic onion bags work well.

coco12 Sun 12-Nov-23 14:54:48

Thanks siope, merry and bright looks really good. Good for Christmas idea for my daughter too.
And thanks all lots of good ideas there