Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Regaine for hair loss

(60 Posts)
blondenana Wed 22-Jul-20 11:39:01

Has anyone used Regaine,or minoxydil for hair loss,
I am thinking of getting some
I can't cope with my hair being in the state it's in now
Don't want a wig,i have too much hair otherwise, apart from the patch at the back,
I did speak to someone on another forum, who has had great success with it,
I am aware that once started you have to use it forever
All these hair loss clinics,whatever they say they use,it has minoxydil in it, so why not just use it at home,

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Jul-20 16:19:38

Hello blondenana
We're sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question but in the meantime thought we'd point you in the direction of this page on hair volumisers in case helpful. Hope you get the info you need.smile

Kate1949 Wed 22-Jul-20 16:27:12

I've tried it blondenana . It didn't work for me but I have alopecia. I believe Regaine has had some success and may be worth a try, especially as you can now buy it over the counter. Good luck.

Rose56 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:13:28

Hi, I use regaine every night and a caffeine shampoo in the morning with very good results

silverlining48 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:17:40

A friend uses minoxydil which works for her.

Thisisme Thu 23-Jul-20 09:19:54

I am interested as my daughter is struggling with hair loss. The doctor has told her to try taking iron supplements first before considering minoxidil or Regaine, as her levels were fairly low. Have you tried talking to your doctor?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:27:11

I would go to drs to have your thyroid checked just a thought, mines disappearing from where I part my hair , and my hair is very fine a lot of it so I was told from hairdresser last year, it drives me crazy, I’ve tried most shampoos nothing’s worked, I eat healthily etc etc, haven’t tried regaine tho

Pagzy Thu 23-Jul-20 09:28:37

Regaine causes blood pressure to rise so check with doctor.

jennilin Thu 23-Jul-20 09:28:43

Try a small hair topper . They are so light and small not like a wig .They hide in your own hair but can easily cover a thin patch. Google hair topper x

Whingingmom Thu 23-Jul-20 09:44:35

Regaine is the trade name for minoxidil. It was initially used to lower high blood pressure and hair growth was discovered as a side effect, so it’s now marketed as such, with some effect. The guidelines on uses, side effects are detailed here
bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/minoxidil.html
Lots of conditions such as anaemia, hypothyroidism and scalp/dermatological probs can cause hairloss - might be wise to check these with your GP first.
Hope this is helpful.

ElaineElaine60 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:57:06

I have Male Bald Patching .
Rang the doctors who said nothing they can do.
After a lot of stress went for a wig.
It took awhile for itching to stop but feel really good now I am used to it.
Not sure if it's Regime or not bit one i was going for was not suitable as I was too old.

Nvella Thu 23-Jul-20 10:29:14

If you are near London my friend had really successful treatment at the Philip Kingsley trichology clinic which is in Green Street, Mayfair and expensive but it worked and although she no longer goes there the new hair has remained. Philipkingsley.co.uk and follow links to clinics

Athenia Thu 23-Jul-20 10:32:57

This is me, I aS just speaking to a healer friend, who has been researching health for thirty years. He happened to mention iron supplements, which are in a form that the body can't deal with, so are actually toxic. Can you believe that greens, when taken as a liquid after juicing, contain exactly the same haemoglobin cells that are in our blood? I have recently bought a juicer to improve my health and stay youthful. One suggestion is to mix raw beetroot, carrots and the darkest green cabbage that I had never heard of before, seldom all main supermarkets, called Nero something, can't remember the Italian name, but this cabbage is slender and pointed and dark green, unlike ours. I wish your daughter very well in her search for health.

Athenia Thu 23-Jul-20 10:36:35

Apologies for not having edited my text: seldom should read sold in all main supermarkets!

Madwoman11 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:38:40

V05 volumising powder from Boots for about £2.50 and lasts ages. Just sprinkle a little bit where needed - you don't need much at all, and the next day just ruffle your hair and the volume is back.
It does feel a little strange but well worth it especially if you only need it at the back.
I think a lot of these miracle shamppos that cost a fortune aren't what they proclaim to be.

twinnytwin Thu 23-Jul-20 10:50:24

My husband has a bald spot at the back and has been using the Salon Science Proaccelerant 3 treatment. He doesn't use the shampoo or conditioner but uses caffeine shampoo instead. His hair definitely has grown back somewhat although lost it when he couldn't be bothered to use it daily. It's growning back again but wont ever be as thick as when he was younger. Bought it in Boots.

NoddingGanGan Thu 23-Jul-20 10:58:24

While on lockdown and shielding I've taken the opportunity to train my hair to be washed less often. I'm now only washing it every fortnight and one of the great side effects is that it's doubled in volume. I have extremely fine hair and it was also becoming very thin. It's still very fine but there's, twice as much of it. I didn't have a specific bald patch though, just scalp becoming visible all over. Before lockdown I used to wash it every other day.

Cambia Thu 23-Jul-20 11:03:10

The Ordinary do a product to help with hair thinning which my husband is trialling. Can’t give you any results yet but it is not too expensive to try and I find all their other products are excellent and cheap! Use all their skincare.

Scissordolly Thu 23-Jul-20 11:04:56

I found with products that claim hair growth that if used as directed you have to put up with greasy looking hair all the time as you cant take stop using it or nothing will happen. I would n't waste money on it. My hair is sitting better after lock down and I think that's because it isn't being stretched by being straightened at hairdressers. Good luck- it might not get any worse.x

4allweknow Thu 23-Jul-20 13:05:06

I've tried loads of products. Had medication from dermatologist (to stop loss not restore growth) and nothing has worked. I use volumising shampoo. Try to let my hair dry as much as possible before using a volumising hair brush dryer to finish off. If there was a cure and restorative treatment it would be well marketed and sold or prescribed to the masses of both men and women with this issue.

Glenfinnan Thu 23-Jul-20 13:18:01

Don’t know what colour your hair is blonde nana but assume it’s blonde?? Since I stopped Having my hair coloured( since March lockdown) My hair has gotten thicker and I dont have a ‘sparse’ section anymore.

Disgruntled Thu 23-Jul-20 15:22:44

I've heard of good results from Aloe Vera, Reiki and Indian head massage. Good luck.

blondenana Thu 23-Jul-20 17:02:44

Thank you to everyone who has replied, to my question,
I have had every blood test possible, even a second lot by a dermatologist,no thyroid problems, etc
I have tried the powder stuff it is horrible and will only stick where there is actual hair
Volumisers are no good for the same reason, they make hair look thicker where there is actual hair, but i don't need it there my hair looks very thick and healthy from the front, and would believe how bad at the back
RE, Iron i have hamochromatosis, so plenty of iron.
My dermatologist puts it down to stress, and said over a year ago it would grow back, but it hasn't up to now
I haven't coloured my hair for a long time,but making no difference, the hair i have has to be cut every 2 weeks it grows so fast and long
I am taking biotin and other vitamins, but again no difference

Tried all the recommended shampoos and now caffeine has apparently been proved not to have any effect
twinnytwin i have never heard of what your husband uses,and don't remember ever seeing it in Boots
Nvella i rang Philip Kingsley and another trichologist,and they said they don't treat anyone over 70,
I can only think it is because they also use minoxidil in the hair preparations, and the other place [can't remember the name] told me straight out that nothing except minoxidil will help
A wig is no good because i have too much hair except the patch at the back, tried a topper, but had to buy online as can't get one locally and don't drive, but also between the crown and the hair at the nape is where the patch is, so the hair from above the crown grows long enough to cover the bare patch,if you see what i mean
Anyway thanks all again
I will have a look in Boots, and also that stuff from the ordinary, but not very hopeful

Phloembundle Thu 23-Jul-20 17:28:54

Athenia, the cabbage is called cavolo nero.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Jul-20 18:44:33

Cambia: thanks for mentioning The Ordinary. I read an article about it ages ago and then forgot about it. Annoyingly I’m not shopping these days so browsing at Boots is out. I don’t think minoxidil works for slope is. I have thinning hair and use Boots minoxidil: you have to use that twice a day whereas Regaine is once a day and makes the hair I do have very dry and wiry. I’m not sure that it works any more but I’m scared to stop using it. Have to be cagey when buying it as I’m above the recommended age so I have to come up with excuses eg buying it for a friend.