Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Necks

(61 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 29-Nov-20 04:53:37

In an m&s offer I treated myself to Prai ageless throat & decolletage cream. Have never tried a neck cream, always use my regular moisturiser but i was tempted by this cream, 30 quid instead of 35 for 100ml pot .....they say it's their best selling cream and good reviews. I know nothing short of a 'neck job' won't get rid of an ageing neck but giving this a go, if it makes neck a bit smoother I be happy. Just that I took a selfie and that shows every line ???. Do you use a neck cream?

CanadianGran Sun 29-Nov-20 06:25:45

Funny this subject should come up. Just today my 5 yr old granddaughter told me my neck was 'crinkly'.

I told the husband we shall have to put new eavestroughs on hold while I research neck lifts. Priorities, and all. grin

Jane10 Sun 29-Nov-20 07:16:08

What are 'eavestroughs'?

Juliet27 Sun 29-Nov-20 07:27:02

I googled it ...seems it's the Canadian equivalent of our gutters...is that right CanadianGran? I had visions of it being a cosmetic procedure!

vampirequeen Sun 29-Nov-20 07:28:35

I didn't even know there was a cream for necks.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 29-Nov-20 08:19:13

I commiserate Shirleyw! I really noticed the problem about 4 years ago when I lost weight,the skin just didnt spring back for the first time ever! For the first time i understood need for scarves ?.
It's not a good thing but the only thing that has got rid of them has been putting weight on over lockdown. I'd rather be slimmer.
I quite like skin products although would never buy anything over £30.
I remember when a few deeper wrinkles appeared plus quite puffy eyes I started reading on cosmetic procedures,no thankyou,too scary!
There was a very interesting programme on BBC a while ago, The Truth about Cosmetic surgery. They took a more scientific approach to non invasive facial treatments that can still cost thousands of pounds. Peoples faces were scanned before and after and they also used before and after photos and asked people if they could see the difference.
Those taking part all felt the benefit of treatments,some more than others. The science showed there was very little difference to their skin!
Apparently skin creams do make very little difference to lines and saggy bits,I suppose they just make them bit softer!
I think most of us have products we prefer and the rest is down to genetics and sun protection.
One area I do find interesting is influence of actors and celebrities. I think maybe we feel we are of an age where we are more realistic of the processes gone through to make a celebrity in their 60s look 30 years younger. That said I was watching a series on Netflix and found myself noticing a British actress. She was excellent in the role but I found myself noticing how real she looked,ie her age. I felt quite awful for being aware of it. It did make me realise just how unusual it is to see someone in that career genuinely look their age. We are so used to the line free youthful albeit slightly strange looking older celebrities. It's so sad.

BlueBelle Sun 29-Nov-20 08:49:27

Look we are aging embrace it All the creams and potions are a ploy to part you with money, a neck cannot be salvaged Look at some of the ‘stars’ with faces like smoothed out ironing boards and then look at their necks
If it’s that bad tie a jaunty scarf around it

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Nov-20 08:54:47

Interesting thread - I noticed my neck had "given up" only last week!
?

My knees, however, went south years ago. It makes no sense to me, the various ways we age.

Casdon Sun 29-Nov-20 09:01:50

The Prai cream is good though, I like it (don’t care if it’s the psychological impact, or that Nivea or whatever would ‘do the same job’) - sometimes you should treat yourself to something that has the feel good factor and enjoy using it!

Dibbydod Sun 29-Nov-20 09:23:47

I’d bought two jars of Prai cream when on offer at Boots for £10 each couple months ago . At first I was very optimistic after reading their claims and I used it faithfully every single morning and night for two weeks going along with the instructions as said on the tub . Well ....it’s made absolutely no difference whatsoever, in any which way , no way . What a complete waste of money . I’m so glad I didn’t pay the full price, so don’t waste your money . I’m using it up now on the rest of my face where I think it’s needed most , but it’s not made no difference there either , still paying lot attention to my neck ,but I look no different , I’m still just as I were . As BlueBell says , the ‘ stars ‘ have great faces but not their necks , and if they can’t achieve a good neck as they get older with all their money what hope is there for the rest of us .

MawBe Sun 29-Nov-20 09:47:29

Polo necks or scarves are the only way ???

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 29-Nov-20 09:49:03

Yes,I do think it's a combination of factors. The most important is being happy with what you've got. I think using a product you like is a daily pleasure. Not all products are equal,which could be down to individual differences,but unless you can easily afford it I dont think paying hundreds of pounds for a product will work miracles.
In answer to the original question I have seen beauty articles stating the neck area is more delicate or prone to aging and needs a special cream. I have also seen it advised that any spare cream you have,I.e. too much hand cream put on neck as every little helps! I havent bought a separate neck cream though.
My most useful tip? When plucking eyebrows (or the odd chin hair) I use a x5 magnifying mirror. When you look in an ordinary mirror things look an awful lot better?

Grannybags Sun 29-Nov-20 09:51:33

I agree MawBe !

Gransooz Sun 29-Nov-20 09:59:02

I’m with you on this Dibbydob. I bought a little set of two from M&S a couple of years ago when they were on special offer. They were Prai. They made not an iota of difference. Think I could do with some pretty little scarves! ?

Marmight Sun 29-Nov-20 10:06:24

I was persuaded to buy Prai a year ago by a friend of mine who is a very successful ‘blogger & influencer’ and obviously gets all this stuff for free (?). She reckons (she would!) it’s brilliant & posted before & after photos. I reckon my ‘before’ neck & décolletage look 50% better than her ‘after’grin and I’m older! . I now just stick to my Nivea Q10 - I love the smell of it so that’s a good enough reason. Not a lot is going to hold back the ravages of old age and, unless you’re very lucky, wrinkles & a turkey neck will appear. Its all about feeling good and believing in yourself & not being persuaded to part with £££

Dibbydod Sun 29-Nov-20 10:49:14

If you feel you would like to try out Prai keep a look out for offers , as I was almost going to buy it at full price at the time believing in the good write ups from M&S , who I thought I’d trusted , also the “ good” reviews , but then I’d spotted them in clearance sale at Boots chemist for only £10 , so I’d bought two tubs thinking they would be the answer to my ever ageing neck ...how wrong I was , they done absolutely nothing whatsoever, as said, I’m now using them up on the rest of my face as the smell is rather nice , but I certainly wouldn’t buy them again .

Shirleyw Sun 29-Nov-20 11:05:45

Lol canadiangran

Thanks for replies guys, quite a mixture of views ?.....

TrendyNannie6 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:12:37

I tend to agree with bluebelle, I’ve yet to see a cream that works wonders on necks, or hands for that matter,

Casdon Sun 29-Nov-20 11:15:24

One thing I've noticed about Gransnet is that there are always people ready to pour cold water on what they see as others’ extravagances Shirleyw, you enjoy it and I hope it works for you!

SiobhanSharpe Sun 29-Nov-20 11:16:59

I have to say I really like the Prai cream , it smells lovely and the gel texture is very nice to use. BUT i also have to say it hadn't made any much difference to my crepe-y neck.
But I have a big tub of it and will use it up.
I think it's genetic, my mum used to hide her neck from quite a young age, and my younger brother's neck is even worse than mine.
I have also tried the NIOD neck elasticity cream which is even more expensive and so greasy it feels like putting Swarfega on your skin. Nope, don't waste your money on that one either.

Sarnia Sun 29-Nov-20 11:19:39

CanadianGran

Funny this subject should come up. Just today my 5 yr old granddaughter told me my neck was 'crinkly'.

I told the husband we shall have to put new eavestroughs on hold while I research neck lifts. Priorities, and all. grin

I had to laugh at that. I was watching the news with my 6 year old grand-daughter last week. It was showing turkey farmers and the problems they are facing this Christmas. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her looking at me then looking at the TV. I had an idea what was coming. I didn't have long to wait. 'Granny, your neck is just like that turkey's'. Out of the mouths of babes..........

CanadianGran Mon 30-Nov-20 00:57:21

Just logged back on... time difference.

Yes eavestroughs are gutters. Its common usage here; I thought gutters were an American usage. When I think of gutter, I thing of the drain in the street where rainwater runs off.

Back to turkey-necks. I've notice in the last year that my neck skin was getting looser, but darn that cute little 5 yr old for pointing it out.

I had a discount on Vichy neck cream a few months ago and have used it, but obviously it hasn't worked the magic that was promised. I'm not usually vain, and have rolled eyes (inwardly) at women in their 30's getting botox, but I'm not loving my reflection in the mirror lately.

I have read about red light therapy being good for building collagen in skin, so will look into any treatments available locally. I have no idea of the cost, but will weigh the value against more lotions. Perhaps we can afford to replace the gutters after all.

Grannynannywanny Mon 30-Nov-20 01:05:15

I discovered a great cure for my wrinkles. I don’t look in a mirror while wearing my glasses.

I used to have a lot of grey hairs and they’ve vanished as well.

Georgesgran Mon 30-Nov-20 03:52:32

Prai is a best seller on QVC. The lady who owns the company (Kathy?) actually demonstrates it. Some of the more expensive products are often available in monthly installments and anything can be sent back for a refund at any time - even if most of the product has been used.

Kittye Mon 30-Nov-20 04:53:47

I’ve tried lots of different creams on face and neck.
I’ve never tried a cream specifically for necks. I sometimes think a face cream is making a difference then I have a breakout of spots. Even though my skin is 70 + years it’s isn’t dry just tired looking with age spots. I’m more concerned with wrinkles round my eyes. Any eye cream I’ve used just makes my eyes water or makes them puffy. I wonder if any of you ladies could recommend a decent eye cream ?