Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Necks

(62 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 29-Nov-20 04:53:37

In an m&s offer I treated myself to Prai ageless throat & decolletage cream. Have never tried a neck cream, always use my regular moisturiser but i was tempted by this cream, 30 quid instead of 35 for 100ml pot .....they say it's their best selling cream and good reviews. I know nothing short of a 'neck job' won't get rid of an ageing neck but giving this a go, if it makes neck a bit smoother I be happy. Just that I took a selfie and that shows every line ???. Do you use a neck cream?

absent Mon 30-Nov-20 05:36:30

Necks, knees and hands, plus sometimes upper arms are the great givers-away of age. All this Covid hand washing is exposing how old we all are. Moisturising all of them is a great help, but it has to happen frequently and regularly. Necks also benefit from exfoliating before moisturising. Knees and elbows can often do with that too. Nothing will bring back the bloom of youth, but some things will delay the visible onset of age. Meanwhile, embrace the wrinkles and creases on your face and body – they are the map of your life.

Hetty58 Mon 30-Nov-20 08:28:41

Kittye, any cream you use around your eyes will end up in them!

Therefore, I'd only use something 'hypoallergenic' or optically tested. (I use a little coconut oil myself.)

There's no evidence that any skin creams have lasting benefits. All they do is moisturise the top layer (which will eventually flake off) and make our skin feel more comfortable.

Turkey neck, yes, I don't like mine either. Solution, hang your mirror higher - and in a shady position with dim lighting!

BlueBelle Mon 30-Nov-20 08:41:24

Can’t we embrace our age, our lives, our changes
I have a photo I love, its a photo of an elderly Greek Lady she had lines like a railway station but her eyes sparkled with wisdom and depth and every line had a tale of happiness, sadness, and grief to tell. Why do we have this incredible need to wipe it all out and be a blank canvas surely we are not so vain that we want to look like our Katie or Pricilla Presley with every spark of emotion or character ironed out
Embrace who you are and what you are and what has got us to where we are
Look after what you have got but why erase your life’s emotions we can’t turn time round and why should we try

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Nov-20 08:47:39

I've never bought special neck cream and hardly pay any attention to my neck, just using good old Oil of Olay Original Beauty Fluid or whatever it is on my face now and again.

Wouldn't ordinary hand cream do the job? It's a bit richer than face cream and your neck can't read. I just accept the fact that I'm getting older and will never look as good as I did when I was young.

cossybabe Mon 30-Nov-20 10:12:05

I use Just Soaps Neck Butter leaves my neck and decolletage feeling lovely. You can buy online and a little goes a long long way

SunRising Mon 30-Nov-20 10:15:11

Instead of all the creams I am trying organic coconut oil can use for hands face neck and is often in the creams anyway.

Panda25 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:22:01

I've just ordered the M&S neck cream too. I used to use Pierre Ricard's neck cream. It was wonderful and worked but when Brexit was voted for they stopped sending orders to the UK

GreyKnitter Mon 30-Nov-20 10:22:55

Use it and enjoy Shirleyw. If you like it and it seems to work them keep buying it and using it - if not, then don’t buy it again. Whatever you do, don’t let people put you off buying using something which you enjoy. I love little pots of facial cream etc and I’m a devil for a bargain. ??

Marmight Mon 30-Nov-20 10:26:19

Casdon. I don’t think any one is pouring cold water on OP. We’re all just answering her question and giving the reasons why or why not we use / don’t use specific creams be they expensive or not, and our reasons why. It would be very tedious if we all agreed all the time wink

buylocal Mon 30-Nov-20 10:38:36

Wonder creams are all simply moisturiser. Don't waste your money. We all arrive at an age where we have to make a choice between figure and face - if you opt for skinny you will look older in the face (and neck). I have yet to see a single celebrity who has had work done that actually looks 'younger' rather than 'has obviously had work done'. They would make themselves look more beautiful by giving away that money to Children in Need to fund a youth arts project or something.

Goingtobeagranny Mon 30-Nov-20 10:39:38

I use Prai too, I got some in the M&S beauty box a couple of years ago and loved it. I buy it from QVC as their offers on the giant pot are really good. I use Nivea Q10 and Charlotte Tilbury (was a gift) on my face.

wildswan16 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:50:32

My neck is the one reason I hate going to the hairdresser. Sitting looking at it in a mirror for what seems like hours does nothing for my peace of mind.

The rest of the time I completely forget about it.

Annaram1 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:54:21

In her old age Sophia Loren was still beautiful but she always tied a scarf around her neck.

jaylucy Mon 30-Nov-20 10:59:02

I must admit I have the same problem . Haven't bought the Prai but I just whack on whatever moisturiser I put on my face and have only noticed a minor difference - if I haven't put any cream on at all !
I must say our local beauty salon often advertises a certain neck treatment along with before and after photos - I'd believe them if the after photo didn't show the client's chin at a slightly higher angle than the before - so maybe that's the cure - walk around as if you have a nasty smell under your nose!

omega1 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:00:57

Astral is a lovely cream and you get a big tub of it for about £6. If its good enough for Joanna Lumley its good enough for me.

Moggycuddler Mon 30-Nov-20 11:04:28

I just use Nivea Soft on my face and neck, have done for years. My skin is pretty good for my age so I don't worry. I've read a few times that cheaper moisturisers really do the same job as very expensive ones. I couldn't justify spending so much money on a face cream. But if you can afford it and feel that it works better, why not?

SueEH Mon 30-Nov-20 11:15:25

I got the Prai cream last year in M & S Xmas Beauty Calendar and loved it. Tried to get some in the Boots £10 Tuesday recently but it was already sold out. I don’t know if anyone noticed anything but I certainly felt that it did a good job. I think part of the reason I like it is that it’s specifically for the neck area and tbh I probably slap moisturiser over my face and forget my neck... hmm

rowanflower0 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:42:01

I just continue my day cream lower and haven't got a bad neck for 68, - use the aldi one when I'm hard-up, as they all seem the same!
You're putting me off my diet though.

Fizog Mon 30-Nov-20 12:08:36

Polo necks and artistically arranged scarves if you are bothered. I am 60, I am crepe ridden.....it is my badge for living this long and not being fat.....

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:13:32

Bluebell I do not want to embrace my age with its wrinkles and aches. I will continue to put cream on. I will continue to exercise with pilates.

I've used No7 (Boots) for probably 30 years for my face and neck and spend time massaging it in. I buy Day and Night creams. I've been told I do not look my age but what do I put this down too? Perhaps I would look as I do without ever using creams. I'll never know.

My neck is, however, on the downward slope. I don't believe there is anything you can do (except surgery) about turkey neck which is the result of the pair of muscles located in the centre of your neck, known as the platysma muscles, separating and descending.

Read this fact today whilst googling skin changes!

"Before age 50 and also after age 60, female faces age—on average—about twice as fast as male faces; between 50 and 60 years, this sex difference in ageing rate is even more pronounced (up to three times faster)." So unfair! angry

Chulachuli Mon 30-Nov-20 12:22:50

I have always used moisturiser and now swear by Boots Protect and Perfect serum and creams. You don’t need anything expensive, just a barrier to protect the skin from weather, pollution etc. Back in the 80’s when I was teaching Biology, there weren’t such strict rules on the “science” that copywriters could put in adverts. One of my tasks I would give 6th form students was to do a critique of some of the outlandish claims that were made for skin creams - great fun!!

Casdon Mon 30-Nov-20 12:53:24

Marmight, that’s how it came across to me I’m afraid - I’m all for a robust debate, but I don’t think telling somebody they are wasting their money when they have just got themselves something they consider a treat is kind. It’s okay to say it hasn’t worked for you of course, and say what you think has worked for you but we all have different triggers to feel good about ourselves - I just think sometimes it’s better not to say negative things.

P3terpan Mon 30-Nov-20 12:57:49

I’ve always been aware that my décolletage will go crinkly so have tried all sorts to stave it off. I’ve got it now but I’ve found the best cream ever is Cetraban. It’s good on your hands and arms, well all over really and not expensive. I swear by it.

Rainwashed Mon 30-Nov-20 13:11:56

I do think M&S cosmetics are generally good. I used to use a cheaper one of their specific neck creams, but then decided to just use my moisturiser. Prai sounds tempting though being a gel as I like that. Anyway you don’t know until you try these things, and I think it usually takes a little while to show any effect . Keep going OP and then decide if it is worth buying again.

Ingrid45 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:24:08

i have Lacura Q10 night cream from Lidl. Feels nice and creamy and I just put it on my neck when i do my face. Best thing is its only £3 and lasts for ages.