Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Should I take notice of a friends remark about my dress

(43 Posts)
kaycee Thu 05-Aug-21 19:13:47

I usually wear trousers because I am a bit embarrassed by my veiny legs. But this summer I thought I would get a few dresses and to hell with it.
One of the dresses I bought was from Boden and my DH said it looked really good. It came to just below my knees. I felt good in it and it is really comfortable. I am a size 10 petite.
Anyway to the point. I wore the dress out to lunch with a friend and her husband. He remarked how nice to see me in a dress. When I saw my friend next she said she thought I was very brave to wear such a short dress.

As I said it came to just below my knees so I didn’t think it was so short and the veins were visible but the dress would have to have been floor length to cover them all! I don’t actually look good in midi length for some reason – I think because I have skinny legs and where a midi dress ends seems to just show the really skinny bit of my legs and looks ‘scraggy’.
I was a bit upset and thought it a hurtful remark or am I being too sensitive?
I asked my DH if he honestly thought it was too short and he said no but not sure he would have said anything else. I will ask my daughter-in-law next time I see her but it’s knocked my confidence to wear a dress to be honest and I was so pleased with myself. Should I just ignore her remark?

DiscoGran Thu 05-Aug-21 19:16:30

Yes. Shake it off. Sounds like she was jealous.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 05-Aug-21 19:18:40

Just ignore her remark, two people, both her husband and yours said it was a good look. Maybe it was a bit of the green eyed monster.

Oldwoman70 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:19:00

Jealous - she didn't like her husband complimenting you. She is obviously insecure - wear your dress and ignore her

Blossoming Thu 05-Aug-21 19:21:36

It really does sound like a touch of jealousy. Ignore it.

B9exchange Thu 05-Aug-21 19:24:18

It sounds as though you looked stunning in it, your friend didn't like her husband thinking so too! Wear it, and other dresses with confidence. At a size 10 you will look amazing!

welbeck Thu 05-Aug-21 19:26:32

yes. ignore. she was annoyed that her husband admired it.
give her a wide berth. no time for negativity.
its her problem; don't let it become yours.
wear what you like.
if she or others say it again, be ready with your answer; why thank you, i thought it was brave too !

Grandmajean Thu 05-Aug-21 19:28:05

Agree with everyone. She didn't like you looking so good. Just below knee is not short.

Atqui Thu 05-Aug-21 19:31:09

Short , below the knee??? Ridiculous . Take no notice and be proud to be size 10 !!

Aldom Thu 05-Aug-21 19:34:27

Sounds to me as though you looked lovely and your friend is jealous. On top of that, her own husband paid you a compliment. Smile secretly and ignore her remark.

love0c Thu 05-Aug-21 19:36:12

What a 'friend?' Size 10 and slim legs. A shame you have not worn dresses before! Thank goodness you have decided to wear them now. Enjoy being trim! [smile[.

MiniMoon Thu 05-Aug-21 19:38:02

Carry on wearing your dresses. I think your friend was a bit envious of your confidence in wearing it.
I don't like my legs either. When I wear a shorter length dress, I wear light weight leggings under it.

Bridgeit Thu 05-Aug-21 19:38:48

Please don’t let an unpleasant person rain on your parade, it doesn’t matter what others think ( who’s opinion would /could you settle on) it sounds like your ‘friend’ has a touch of the Green eyed monster
Wear what you like , best wishes and be happy.

Redhead56 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:40:16

My legs are full of veins but a few years ago my dil and daughter talked me into wearing more dresses. I wear them below my knees and I am so pleased with how they look.

Your friend is jealous probably because you look lovely with your slim figure. Buy a few more outfits like it and enjoy watching your friend squirm!

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 19:42:42

Take no notice at all. Wear your dress.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:44:24

Obvious to me the problem was her husband remarked on your dress. She didn’t like it, hence trying to put you down, she’s no friend, real friends do not behave like that, reeks of jealousy Op, you wear your lovely dress with your head held high, also a dress that ends beyond the knees isn’t short, she needs to go to specsavers, and to be a size 10 is great

rosie1959 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:57:41

I love Boden dresses and also can't wear midi length not a size 10 though.
Your friend sounds jealous I am sure you looked lovely
I cheat with my legs a few doses of st Tropez gradual tan covers a multitude of sins

V3ra Thu 05-Aug-21 20:08:01

As I read it I'd say your friend was envious, because she's the one that wouldn't be "brave" enough to wear that dress.
You obviously can wear it with style, so carry on and enjoy your new look ?

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 20:14:59

It could have been SHE would feel self conscious if SHE was wearing it
It may not have been about YOU at all smile

I'm sorry it has upset you though sad I have a skin condition and wear clothes to cover but sometimes I throw caution to the wind and wear whatever I want but I understand how awful it is when you are self conscious and someone comments

Nonogran Thu 05-Aug-21 20:20:42

Sounds like the length was entirely appropriate so ignore ignore ignore!! Wear dresses more & more. Stuff what anyone else says, you go girl!

kaycee Thu 05-Aug-21 20:21:37

Thank you all for the encouraging remarks. I really didn't think she was jealous or envious - she is slim and stylish. She does believe in stating her opinion though and will always say if she thinks something looks nice, that's what made me doubt I guess. I will continue to wear the dress and others and give St Tropez a try.

vampirequeen Thu 05-Aug-21 20:21:43

I agree with everyone else. She's jealous. Wear your dresses with pride.

chickkygran Thu 05-Aug-21 20:41:24

How ungracious of your friend.

Though could it be that she’s aware how self conscious you are? Tbh, just enjoy wearing the dress, sounds like you enjoyed it and felt comfortable ?

Hithere Thu 05-Aug-21 20:55:45

Jealousy

biglouis Thu 05-Aug-21 20:59:33

Ive long given up caring what I look like! I dont go out of my way to please anyone nowadays and it takes a lot to knock my confidence.

I would probably have asked "What do you mean by that" and watched her squirm.