Gransnet forums

Technology

Empty boxes!

(134 Posts)
shysal Mon 11-Jun-12 10:34:32

Why are my 'watching', 'unanswered', 'last hour' and 'last day' boxes empty? I can only access the threads via 'active'. Hope it is you and not me! sad

j04 Tue 12-Jun-12 11:38:05

What?!! i mean, pardon?

Anagram Tue 12-Jun-12 11:38:59

Well, don't advertisers pay GN for the privilege of touting their wares here?

Anagram Tue 12-Jun-12 11:40:56

Oh, just realised what you meant, jingl - crossed wires.....(or I am just thick! wink)

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-12 12:34:45

Hmm Ella46, that sounds very strange. Just to confirm - you have bookmarks enabled. When you go onto a thread you have a bookmark on, the thread scrolls automatically to where your bookmark is, as it should.

Then it scrolls back up to the top of the page without you clicking/scrolling at all.

Is that all correct?

Does it happen every time you're on a bookmarked thread?

Could you let us know which browser you're using? We haven't been having any problems our end, so not sure why that could be happening.

Anagram Tue 12-Jun-12 15:48:18

I'd just like to point out that another thread has disappeared off the Active list - Republicans has gone! It's still there in the Politics list when you look at forum subjects, though!

Anagram Tue 12-Jun-12 15:52:13

It's back now - I know it wasn't there before though. I triple-checked grin

Ella46 Tue 12-Jun-12 16:40:54

Josie sorry for delay. I don't think it's to do with the bookmarks, it's happened to whenim64 too,(see empty boxes thread). It just flicks to the home page, but not every time, just occasionally.
All my threads are bookmarked.
My browser is Mozilla Firefox.

I think the text size fluctuates depending on whether I changed it while on a thread, as opposed to when on the "Active" menu page. confused

sunshine to all techieswink

whenim64 Tue 12-Jun-12 16:41:23

Yes, the Republicans thread disappeared when I was looking for it, too. Then, when I found it eventually, it wouldn't let me in, but kept defaulting to the home page. There are some Gransnet Gremlins knocking about grin

Ella46 Tue 12-Jun-12 16:43:16

So glad you posted then when, I was beginning to feel silly! grin. Moi?

Jacey Tue 12-Jun-12 16:44:11

Yes ....there seem to four threads that are defaulting again from 'last day' list ...this is now the third day i've found this happeningconfused

Did wonder if it was an outsider causing the problem once they've viewed the thread??

Come on GNHQ rats nibbling the virtual threads?? shock

whenim64 Tue 12-Jun-12 16:49:24

Don't you just love it when everything starts going haywire? It takes me back to mornings at work when no-one could log in, computers would crash, and probation officers would be threatening to walk out because they couldn't get access to their records. Hahaha....it doesn't matter any more grin

Jacey Tue 12-Jun-12 17:21:12

Yes nowim64 grin

The smart board wouldn't work, so all introductions to lessons gone... couldn't print off all the worksheets you'd prepared for group activities the night before ... the images, you'd surfed for the plenary not available!! shock

back to the open your books at ...if you'd still got any text books in the classroom!! hmm

happy days ...so nice when you can roll over for another half an hour in bed on these dark, dismal, windy wet summer days!! grin

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-12 17:28:29

Oh dear - sounds like a lot of things all going funny at the same time...

ella46, yes sounds like the same issue as everyone else, just the way you described it made it sound like a different issue confused

I haven't seen any threads disappearing for a few minutes at a time - I will have a word with Tech and find out if that's something that could happen.

I am pretty sure that the home page problem has been fixed again now. Sorry about that - let us know if it happens again.

Jacey Tue 12-Jun-12 17:35:35

The name of the thread disappears on the 'last day' list ...they then have the same thing written ...a symbole followed by some writing but can't remember what now?? confused ...if you click on it [the replacement for the name] it takes you off to the forums page.

Don't think I've explained that very well blush

Jacey Tue 12-Jun-12 17:37:58

$search.TopicName

That's what comes up GNHQ instead of actual name of thread ...there are three more there at the moment grin

Ariadne Tue 12-Jun-12 18:15:00

These long lines mean that, to see them on the iPad, I have to reduce the size of the text, which I then have difficulty reading. Oh dear!

jeni Tue 12-Jun-12 19:08:50

I'm not having any problem, other than my usualconfused state!

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 08:57:33

Still finding some threads come up wide, and some not.

I do NOT like having to scroll both down and sideways!

whenim64 Wed 13-Jun-12 09:33:21

Me neither! This morning, some threads aren't opening at all by clicking on the most recent posting, such as the employment tribunal one. I had to go through active, then click on the heading, rather than the name of the poster, and work my way through.

Threads with hundreds of postings are becoming a nightmare to navigate. You get the first post on a single page, and have to keep scrolling through to the end.

glassortwo Wed 13-Jun-12 09:39:57

I dont seem to be having any of these problems, I am on a laptop.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Jun-12 09:46:33

Hi Jacey, That's all fixed now.

Anyone having trouble with the width - would be great if you could confirm whether you're using a laptop, or tablet/mobile. At the moment, they'll all be wide at the bottom of a long thread but thinner at the top where we have other content on the right.

Annobel Wed 13-Jun-12 09:56:35

I don't have problems with threads not opening or with the headings of threads. I use Chrome as a browser.
As I've already said, I use a laptop and the wide posts are more difficult to read with varifocals.

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 10:27:12

I use a PC at work and a laptop at home. I don't have any problem actually reading the posts - I just don't like the wide layout.
A thread starts out 'thin' and is compact and comfortable to read, then suddenly it spreads out as if it's dropped into a vast ocean! confused

kittylester Wed 13-Jun-12 10:34:51

I don't like the wide threads either! Awful on my phone and it doesn't feel natural on the laptop.

whenim64 Wed 13-Jun-12 11:26:15

I usually use an iPad now, but keep having to get my old laptop out whilst there's all this messing about.