Gransnet forums

Technology

An alternative to Word?

(8 Posts)
aliciap Wed 26-Sep-12 13:25:22

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem! If you would like to try another program my son told me about open office, its free and looks almost the same as work but with lots more fonts. Very easy to use too. I can't remember where i downloaded it from but if you look for it on google i'm sure it will come up.
All the best
Ally

specki4eyes Mon 02-Jul-12 10:21:57

Thanks Anagram Annobel and everyone else! Of course, why didn't I think of envelopes! That was the one icon I passed over blush Its worked and I've got some nice labels for the backs of my paintings..trust Gransnetters to know the answer! But I still wish we could have Windows 97 back smile

AlisonMA Mon 02-Jul-12 10:01:33

You could use PoerPoint but then you would have to resize for your labels. That would be easy if you use the 2 on A4 size

Anagram Sun 01-Jul-12 22:37:49

Yes, that's what I meant - it's just that I have the 'envelopes' icon saved on my toolbar and forgot how I got it there!

Annobel Sun 01-Jul-12 22:34:00

I have Word 2010. If you go into the 'mailings' menu, and click on the envelopes and labels icons on the far left, that will give you the same choices as the old Word used to. Don't know about decorative borders though.

NemoNan Sun 01-Jul-12 22:06:58

Hi specki, there used to be a free download from Avery that would let you design and print any size and shape labels, and use clip art as well.

Anagram Sun 01-Jul-12 22:03:04

I don't know about decorative borders, specki, but you can run off labels using the envelope icon in Word - I don't think that's changed?

specki4eyes Sun 01-Jul-12 21:57:04

Help! I have spend the entire evening trying to make a couple of labels for the backs of my paintings. I just have to put the title, my name, address and telephone numbers on them. I learned word processing back in 1996 with one of the original Word packages. It was great..easy to produce any document of any type. The latest version of Word is like a nightmare. You are offered millions of templates, none of which suit the bill. Even if I go into blank document, I can't just produce a smallish label with a nice decorative border as I used to be able to. Is there an alternative office package that I can download which behaves as well as Word 96 used to? Call me an old dinosaur, but why did they have to change it?